Pattaya’s biggest ever property scam: Ukrainian man on the run after 300 MILLION baht fraud

webfact

On 3/5/2020 at 9:17 PM, fforest1 said:

This is only 10 million dollars.......Hardly a kings ransom.....

It is if it was yours.  ."....Pattaya police say there isn't enough evidence to take the matter further." Has someone been given a condo?

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

So in a 100 condo building, 49 can be bought by farangs whilst the other 51% remain empty till Thais buy.  Sounds a good deal to me.

I'd like the ground floor question clarified - an agent wouldn't even show me round one for this reason.

the thai\foreign quota is based on metres rather than number of condos

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'd like the ground floor question clarified

Since I have a close friend who owned a ground floor unit in a condo in Jomtien and recently sold it on to a Russian I would say it is patently untrue.

3 hours ago, topt said:

Since I have a close friend who owned a ground floor unit in a condo in Jomtien and recently sold it on to a Russian I would say it is patently untrue.

Correct.  There are several ground floor units for sale at Atlantis listed on Hipflat in foreign name.  Just one example.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, RuamRudy said:

Good god - I used to rent a condo in Pratumnak to this guy. He moved out around 4 years ago when he said his company was no longer paying his rent, and that he was moving back to Canada. 

I have to add that he was a model tenant - no hassles whatsoever, rent always paid on time, absolutely no problems from him at the time. 

I used to rent a property to one of his "staff" same no issues, he told me at the time, there was nothing "abnormal" going on!

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

most don't use lawyers but even if they did that may not help. Regulations aren't good enough here to protect peoples money

Agree.  I doubt a buyer's lawyer was used in most of these cases; I think a buyer's lawyer would have spotted that the buyers were being given fake documents without the proper stamps on them.  

On 3/8/2020 at 8:40 AM, newnative said:

How do you 'elaborate' on nonsense like "You can't buy one unless there's 51% Thai ownership across the complete building" ?

Cutting & pasting stuff like this from Expat Den web site:

'All money for the purchase of a condo must be sent to Thailand from a foreign country in the original currency. Without proof of this, a foreigner cannot register the condo in their name.

Only 49% of rooms in a development can be owned by foreigners.

The building needs to be governed by the condominium act.'

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Cutting & pasting stuff like this from Expat Den web site:

'All money for the purchase of a condo must be sent to Thailand from a foreign country in the original currency. Without proof of this, a foreigner cannot register the condo in their name.

Only 49% of rooms in a development can be owned by foreigners.

The building needs to be governed by the condominium act.'

Mostly all correct.  I would clarify a bit that only 49% of a project can be owned by foreigners in FOREIGN QUOTA.  A foreigner could purchase in Company name or in Thai name if he or she has a Thai spouse.  I would also add that money sent from abroad should have the reason given as 'for condo purchase'.  Some posts have said that this may not be necessary but I always do it to be on the safe side.  

Nothing of this current post has anything to do with your stating in a previous post that 51% of a condo's units must be purchased by Thais before a foreigner can buy a condo in a project.  That is incorrect.  And, your statement that foreigners cannot own ground floor units because the ground is 'sacred' has also been proven to be incorrect.   That was all I was doing in my original response, pointing out that the information you had posted was incorrect.  

16 hours ago, olfu said:

After I've read all 10 pages of comments my common sense told me to rent in Thailand as I did for last 20 years.

I would not buy a condo here in the USA or anywhere.  Nazi condo associations, problem neighbors, utility issues, common area issues, etc.  Saw all those issues in the USA, definitely will not deal with them by buying in Thailand.

Edited by gk10002000