Pattaya’s biggest ever property scam: Ukrainian man on the run after 300 MILLION baht fraud

webfact

Purchasing your home through forming a company is the biggest housing scam in Thailand.  Every agent will assure you it is foolproof right up to fan-hitting moment when you will be told it's illegal and shareholders may go to jail.  You are at the mercy of Auditor Scammers when they do your annual tax papers.

Do not come to Thailand until the law is changed - sometime in the next hundred years.

• Like 1

Good god - I used to rent a condo in Pratumnak to this guy. He moved out around 4 years ago when he said his company was no longer paying his rent, and that he was moving back to Canada. 

I have to add that he was a model tenant - no hassles whatsoever, rent always paid on time, absolutely no problems from him at the time. 

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Thanks 1

Many have commented about not trusting.

So, how can one purchase a condo in thailand without being defrauded?

[In australia, all property deposits are held by a lawyer, and the balance is not paid to the seller until a lawyer has signed off on the title transfer documents (so the lawyer would have to be dishonest/incompetent for a scam to work)].

How does it work in thailand?

26 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Purchasing your home through forming a company is the biggest housing scam in Thailand.  Every agent will assure you it is foolproof right up to fan-hitting moment when you will be told it's illegal and shareholders may go to jail.  You are at the mercy of Auditor Scammers when they do your annual tax papers.

Do not come to Thailand until the law is changed - sometime in the next hundred years.

Mikebell, is there a safe way to buy a condo in thailand?

36 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

See where the wife and daughter travel next!

Sounds like he has done a runner and left them in the lurch. It's likely they will lose everything. I feel sorry for the child. 

1 hour ago, Nigel Sri Thanonchai said:

FYI the bulk of the victims were British ,Australian and Norwegians no Russians at all ,presume nothing

Scammed ones were also not Russian.? I believe was Russian only 

14 hours ago, tlandtday said:
14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What makes you think that showing his face clearly on Thaivisa would assist in his getting caught?  Do you think that the police don't already know what he looks like and they're asking Thaivisa for help?!

Why are you so worried is it your pic lol.  Of course they should show it as many cases are solved with the public's assistance.

I'm not at all worried.  I doubt that Thaivisa readers have ever contributed to any police investigation, particularly ones where the wanted person isn't even in the country. I guarantee that you couldn't point out just one single case in which the successful police investigation was assisted by anonymous forum members.  Prove me wrong.

If you want to see what he looks like, have a look at his company website, it's not difficult, then you can go to the police with your leads.

Edited by Just Weird

15 hours ago, tlandtday said:

another apologist.  yeah it happens all over but most civilized countries have sensible protective laws to prevent all these scams in thailand.  Just like at uncompleted waterfront property as an example. The Israeli con artists who did that one are happily building others all over town. 

sometimes you just have rely on yourself instead of thinking your country are your parents..

2 hours ago, Nigel Sri Thanonchai said:

FYI the bulk of the victims were British ,Australian and Norwegians no Russians at all ,presume nothing

Why was it printed in the Russian press originally then?

52 minutes ago, swerve said:

Ukraine is not the west.  And Canada gives a passport to anyone.

First off, Canada does not give a passport to anyone.

second, as I have stated on several occasions, anyone who is stupid enough to buy or invest in Thailand deserves what they get. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

third, you'll be reading me say this for the 23 Rd time in another month because more idiots will continue to invest there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Good god - I used to rent a condo in Pratumnak to this guy. He moved out around 4 years ago when he said his company was no longer paying his rent, and that he was moving back to Canada. 

I have to add that he was a model tenant - no hassles whatsoever, rent always paid on time, absolutely no problems from him at the time. 

Well it seemed he had a solid income, so I am not surprised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

Sounds like he has done a runner and left them in the lurch. It's likely they will lose everything. I feel sorry for the child. 

No need. Most suspect the wife knows all about it, with the video just being a ruse. I have a copy of the video.

He allegedly sent the money immediately to accounts in Singapore and Hong Kong and perhaps onwards from there.

His other scams include trying to sell a hotel on Phra Tamnak Soi 4 that he no longer owned, because of non payment of debts.

This one I believe; http://apollopattaya.com

On 3/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, worgeordie said:

It also helps them when their victims are greedy and gullible.

regards worgeordie  

Expect a better and more balanced response from you! The major lesson is that in Thailand no matter what you do or don't do you cant protect against your signature being forged and the solution is so simple that all foreign nationals signatures must be verified and stamped by their embassies! Many Thai lawyers are masters in .......  

5 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

First off, Canada does not give a passport to anyone.

second, as I have stated on several occasions, anyone who is stupid enough to buy or invest in Thailand deserves what they get. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

third, you'll be reading me say this for the 23 Rd time in another month because more idiots will continue to invest there.

Cant say you didn't warns us then.

12 hours ago, graexx said:

Many have commented about not trusting.

So, how can one purchase a condo in thailand without being defrauded?

[In australia, all property deposits are held by a lawyer, and the balance is not paid to the seller until a lawyer has signed off on the title transfer documents (so the lawyer would have to be dishonest/incompetent for a scam to work)].

How does it work in thailand?

The thing you are missing is (I suggest that ) you cannot trust Thai lawyers ... Sorry I would suggest that you cannot trust Thai lawyers.

52 minutes ago, Nip said:

Cant say you didn't warns us then.

Meanwhile I received this letter...

Dear beloved,

Greetings to you! I am Mrs. Christy Walton, a citizen of the United States of America. I bring to you a
proposal worth the sum $14,900,000.00 (Million USD) which I intend to use for a humanitarian project. I am happy
to know you, I have never doubted my instinct as it has never failed me, even as it has directed me to you at
this point in time so do not be afraid. I saw your e-mail contact at the department of commerce and foreign
trade. I am writing this mail to you with heavy sorrow in my heart, it's painful to let you know that I have
been suffering from esophageal cancer and a rare heart disease for the past 6 years and just a few weeks
ago my Doctor told me that I won't survive the illness. I am contacting you because I don't have any other
option but to open up to you about my project at hand.

Please get back to me by providing me with your personal information so I can provide you with further
details. Please treat this information as strictly confidential.

Do always check your Spam/Junk folder for my next response.

Kindly get back to me on my direct e-mail ([email protected])

I await your response.

God bless you.
Mrs. Christy Walton

well, he can run, but he can't hide.

or he can hide, but can't hide his money.

unless he has connections with some dirty bankers in eastern europe. it

will be very hard for him to hide such big amounts.

aventually some banker will demand to see the source of

the money, and will freeze his accounts and report to law authorities.

the only place he can get away with such large transactions is

indeed ukraine or russia, where some banks are run by organised crime.

16 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

well known saying is "When in a foreign country, always beware of your own" ! Very true.

indeed very true.

the biggest scams and even phisical attacks were exercised on me

by my country fellow man, while abroad.

strangely, when i kept distance from them and dealed with the locals,

i had more gains.

wonder why...

15 hours ago, d2b2 said:

how much evidence do the police need to investigate and press charges?

it might indeed possible that the police did not find any evidence for a crime,

and the victims just contacted the newspaper with their story.

reminds me of a banker who told me once how his bank is so good in dedecting

fraudsters, and how they checked once a new client past

transactions in A foreign country account, to find a suspected transaction of

100,000 USD. so they called the payee and she said this guy cheated her.

so i asked the banker why did'nt that woman went to the police and complain

about it?

jsut because some people say they were cheated, it does not mean it is true.

So worthless complaints were filed.  Unless things are filed in a proper civil court system, i.e. law suits bought, this shows how weak the Thai systems are.  Nobody sued him in court?  Nobody can sue him in court?  One must first go to the military, or the subservient police?  That does nothing.  Maybe some investigation was done, but nobody would know about it.  Sad state of affairs, but this is a beautiful example of the risks for a foreigner of putting any substantial monies into Thailand