Prince Harry and wife Meghan begin farewell royal events

webfact

Prince Harry and wife Meghan begin farewell royal events

2020-03-05T210821Z_1_LYNXMPEG241VF_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-SUSSEX.JPG

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, sitting next to Ross Kemp, cheer during the annual Endeavour Fund Awards at Mansion House in London, Britain March 5, 2020. Paul Edwards/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan appeared together at an official engagement on Thursday for the first time since January's announcement that they would step away from their royal duties.

The appearance by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as Queen Elizabeth's grandson and Meghan are officially known, at an awards ceremony for wounded service personnel will also be one of their last before they quit as working members of the royal family.

The couple stop their royal duties at the end of the month as they seek to carve out "a progressive new role", mainly based in North America, which they aim to finance themselves.

While Harry remains a prince, they have agreed not to use the HRH titles - His or Her Royal Highness - and will not use "royal" in their branding, even though they said there was no jurisdiction by the monarchy or the government to stop them using the word overseas.

The couple have spent most of their time in Canada since January's shock announcement.

Meghan's last official engagement was to visit Canada House in London days before that announcement. The prince returned to royal duties at the end of last month, when the host at the event said people should just "call him Harry".

On Thursday, they attended the annual Endeavour Fund Awards at Mansion House which acknowledges the achievements of wounded or sick servicemen and women who have taken part in remarkable sporting and adventure challenges.

There was one loud boo from the crowd outside as the smiling couple arrived clutching an umbrella amid rainfall and a blaze of camera flashes from massed photographers.

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan arrived at the Endeavour Fund Awards in London on Thursday (March 5), marking their first official engagement together since January's announcement that they would step away from their royal duties.

Harry, sixth in line to the throne, will carry out a solo engagement on Friday when he opens a new museum dedicated to British motor racing where he will be joined by Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton.

Next week, Harry, 35 and Meghan, 38, will carry out what is expected to be their last official appearance alongside other senior royals including the 93-year-old queen, Harry's father and heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles, and his brother Prince William at the annual Commonwealth Service at London's Westminster Abbey.

British newspapers have reported that the queen has been saddened that she has seen so little of Harry and Meghan's son Archie, her eighth great-grandchild who has remained in Canada.

Harry and the queen had a meeting to discuss his future at her Windsor Castle home last weekend, a royal source confirmed, with the Sun tabloid reporting it had been a "heart to heart" talk at which she said he would always be welcome to rejoin the royal fold.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by Stephen Addison/Mark Heinrich)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-06

10 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Maybe they can get jobs as greeters at WalMart? Vegas?

Megan could probably get an acting gig, but does Harry have any marketable skills?

Surely there's some sort of role for Harry in Suits? Suggestions welcome

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Maybe they can get jobs as greeters at WalMart? Vegas?

Megan could probably get an acting gig, but does Harry have any marketable skills?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Harry who has a good education and was an officer in the military serving in Afghanistan won't need help finding work. Also both he and his wife are both millionaires so they could just retire and live the good life

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My thoughts exactly, poor ole Harry, got himself in a situation not of his doing.

Being led by the nose, by a woman only interested in being the centre of attention.

Not of his doing! Was he coerced, drugged or hypnotized, blackmailed perhaps? He's a grown man, he made his choices and his bed, the good guy is always the victim in these stories, too funny. Colin will be along soon to let us know how confused he is at what I've written, I'm worried about the man, he's perpetually confused.

Edited by saengd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In the photo, IMO Harry looks like a man caught in a situation he does not want to be in, but can't escape from.

I probably had that look in the last year of my marriage before I accepted the inevitable and got divorced.

He is escaping it - he is moving to Canada to get away from the Windsors. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, saengd said:

Not of his doing! Was he coerced, drugged or hypnotized, blackmailed perhaps? He's a grown man, he made his choices and his bed, the good guy is always the victim in these stories, too funny. Colin will be along soon to let us know how confused he is at what I've written, I'm worried about the man, he's perpetually confused.

Serious question : are you a woman or a Soy boy, or maybe just twelveteen! Most men who leave their wives spend a long time in a limbo like state much like the photo seems to depict Harry. Women have great power over men. In my opinion as a man who actually really liked Harry who was one of the most loved royals blew it marrying her. She is a very bad woman. No more than 3 years. Kick her to the kirb Harry, we all make mistakes (one vet to another). I feel such sadness for Harry. His military connections have now been severed. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

My thoughts exactly, poor ole Harry, got himself in a situation not of his doing.

Being led by the nose, by a woman only interested in being the centre of attention.

I dont think that she wanted all the media attention , that is the reason why they left the UK, b because of the constant media attention 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They are NOT self supporting they expect somebody, and the Canadians won't, to fork out 20 million for their security. Why should the tax payer when they are not longer carrying out any royal duties? These two leeches took over 2.4 million to do up a house they have never really lived in, claim they will pay it back but probably never will. The whole lot of them need to go, they belong in history books and fairy tales, not the 21st century

I fully agree with your last sentence, but I think you are a bit unfair in the rest. He says he will repay the cost of the renovations -let's give him a chance to do so.

As for security, it's not his fault that his family, for decades, has courted and patronised a very pliant media to create in us plebs this illusion of their grandeur. He needs protecting from the nutters that will, because of the myth of royalty that we all seem to have willingly lapped up, invariably, want to be his special friend. 

The level of outrage he and his wife have received, the sheer hypocrisy of the press in the way they have vilified her, is shocking. I wonder just how many column inches have been written about them, compared to his uncle and his rancid friends?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

These two leeches took over 2.4 million to do up a house they have never really lived in,

They fully intended to live in the house , that was until a newspaper got a drone and filmed over the house and published the video, and that made the property unsafe for them to live in and thus they never moved into the property

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They fully intended to live in the house , that was until a newspaper got a drone and filmed over the house and published the video, and that made the property unsafe for them to live in and thus they never moved into the property

That's just an excuse, could not move in because photo's of it were released, come off it

46 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont think that she wanted all the media attention , that is the reason why they left the UK, b because of the constant media attention 

Nonsense.

Media attention is what an actress wants most.

Anyone who thinks that it is any less intense in the Americas is totally out of touch.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MisterTee said:

Nonsense.

Media attention is what an actress wants most.

Anyone who thinks that it is any less intense in the Americas is totally out of touch.

They received an extraordinary amount of attention from the UK media .

Interviews with her Family back in the USA , regular , daily interviews with her family 

Unpleasant coverage focusing/creating rifts 

They were hounded out from the UK by the media

• Like 1