Installing a shower water heater

clarky cat

9 hours ago, hackjam said:

I will probably get a 3.5 K watt but would like to have a wire in place in case that the unit needs to be upgraded or replaced with a larger one.

6mm2 should handle anything you can buy today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hackjam said:

I will probably get a 3.5 K watt but would like to have a wire in place in case that the unit needs to be upgraded or replaced with a larger one.

4mmcable will do for that and be future proof unless you consider going to 8kW when 6mm2  is better

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hackjam said:

When I go looking for cable, all I see is something like 2 x 2.5 SQ.MM.

I cannot find anything like 6 or 4mm2

Am I missing something?

Look around at the local electrical wholesaler where the electricians go, you can, you can buy it by the meter. I find it’s usually a better experience than homepro, they usually know their products, less of the “mai mee” and shoulder shrugs.

Post your location, someone may help.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 10:24 AM, clarky cat said:

would something like this do the job?

IMG_0524.thumb.JPG.5fd8a2d2b88cc816acef387c28c0d0f2.JPG

Yes that would do fine and I have installed one of these in my previous house here and had absolutely no problems with it.

Sold the house and moved into an apartment and it has the same shower heater, and it has been working well for many years.

2 hours ago, hackjam said:

When I go looking for cable, all I see is something like 2 x 2.5 SQ.MM.

I cannot find anything like 6 or 4mm2

Am I missing something?

Global should have.  If you strike out, you can go double on the 2.5mm2 (effectively 5mm2).

• 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, macgver said:

I just got the water heater for 1,100 baht. I am not sure whether I should do the installation by myself? What kind of breaker should I buy? Where should I connect the circuit? Do guide.

Start a new thread with a photo of your distribution board/fuse box/consumer unit with the lid off (care please) and we can give directed advice.

The instructions that came with the shower should give wire size and breaker A needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, markperkins said:

Still mulling over a rainfall led shower head. I WANT it flush to the ceiling. Current thinking is to buy a cheap as chips, Chinese, stainless steel circular one. THEN have a st/st plate laser cut and put x4 15mm dia, 12V deck lights at the corners.

Beware of “cheap” ones.  I bought a 10” square one off Lazada about six months ago for 300 baht and it is SS on the outside but whatever is on the inside has rusted.

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, markperkins said:

Still mulling over a rainfall led shower head. I WANT it flush to the ceiling. Current thinking is to buy a cheap as chips, Chinese, stainless steel circular one. THEN have a st/st plate laser cut and put x4 15mm dia, 12V deck lights at the corners.

Any of the shower heads designed to screw on to a shower pipe like the #5 Fyeer 12Inches LED Rainfall Shower Head Square, Ultra-thin Luxury Bathroom Shower Head (& #8, #9, #10)can be fitted into the ceiling, though the plumbing isn’t necessarily a simple job.

• 1 year later...

I have just build a house in Phetchabun. The wiring is in place for hot water heater in each of the three bathrooms. Each bathroom set up for hot water heater have three wires, white, blue and green/yellow. I have also bought Renai shower water heater but not installed yet.

I think there is dedicated breaker in the main breaker for each water heater in place. I am checking to see if the house main breaker box is earthed.

If the main breaker box is earthed and the water heaters are connected to main breaker box, do i need to earth each water heater for each bathroom separately or wiring the the main breaker box is sufficient? 

What is the blue and green/yellow wires for?

Thank you. 

1681069438160.jpg

1681069406329.jpg

• Confused 1

If i need to earthed or ground the water heater in bathroom, do i need to install the 2.4 meters copper rod in the ground or there is alternate method? I am not trying to look for shortcut, but to make sure it will be done properly since have children in the house. 

There is no "if" about grounding your water heater, currently the only approved grounding method for a domestic installation is a 2.4 metre rod. 

It looks like your sparks has already pulled suitable cables for the heater ???? 

So, he should also know how to correctly earth your system in order to pass the MEA/PEA inspection for a permanent supply which will include installing a copper-clad ground rod (solid copper would be $$$).

This is a good PEA document (in Thai of course) Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual.pdf

The relevant page with my translations.

image.jpeg.9a9ba07b8cfa2ab10d6bc7f2c258b9ec.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dear Crossy, thank you so much for the information. I will have three hot water heaters for three bathrooms, washing machine outside, some cooking appliances in kitchen, refrigerator,  and electric water pump also outside. I have some questions below:
1 - should i install RCBO breakers for each hot water heater since there is electrical wires routed for each to the main breaker box. I just want to make sure to protect from electric shock but lacking knowledge. 
2 would it be beneficial to install a separate copper rod for two hot water heaters, washing machine and the house water pump?
3 The diagram show one earth ground copper rod be installed at the  main breaker, will it be sufficient or would it be beneficial to install multiple earth ground copper rods at different locations? Ideally how many will i need for the house (200 sq m), single floor?
4 Other than to have RCBO breakers,  do i need the same for washing machine and electric water motor or can I  install GFI outlet is sufficient?
Many thanks for your input. 

In our current house (15 years old) we have a dedicated breaker for every water heater, every air con unit, electric oven, electric hot plate, range hood, and pool pumphouse.

The GPO's are shared across 4 breakers, and the lighting is shared over another 4 breakers.

We have an ufer grounding system in the footings of the house.