Hospital Strategy - Flu

saengd

On 3/9/2020 at 8:29 AM, bartender100 said:

Mortality rate for the flu is less than 1%

In Italy at the moment for Covid-19 it is up to 10% and its only a couple of months old and spreading rapidly around the world

Open your eyes, and don't believe what China is telling you about the deaths there

Yes but 11 million people get the flu and 113,000 get Covid19.

You cant be 1% dead so I really really wish you would stop this mortality rate rubbish. If it kills you it kills you and at that stage I really really believe that you don't care how many people in  a hundred it kills too.

China threw their entire country resource at it. Flew in 30,000 medics. If you choose not to believe them because of their political system then there is no talking sense to you. Why on earth would they lie? They have social media too.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Yes but 11 million people get the flu and 113,000 get Covid19.

You cant be 1% dead so I really really wish you would stop this mortality rate rubbish. If it kills you it kills you and at that stage I really really believe that you don't care how many people in  a hundred it kills too.

China threw their entire country resource at it. Flew in 30,000 medics. If you choose not to believe them because of their political system then there is no talking sense to you. Why on earth would they lie? They have social media too.

Then don't talk to me

On 3/9/2020 at 12:40 AM, FarFlungFalang said:

Can you tell me how many have been infected and not been counted?If you only test those that get really sick then the death rate will be high like in America (534 cases 21 deaths CFR 3.93%) if you test a lot of people like Sth Korea (7313 cases 50 deaths CFR 0.68%) so the numbers argument is based purely on the amount of tests it's not based on what actually happens and that's what's causing a lot of the panic. 

Do you still think all is rosy in the world? just asking

There are many different viruses that cause symptoms of ‘the flu’.

If you’re talking about Influenza A then it can be treated by Tamiflu if treatment starts quickly

Covid of course is a different story.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:24 AM, saengd said:

My surgeon once told me the rate of infection from an invasive procedure at Suan Dok by an inexperienced intern compared to a Professor and it was shocking.

Yeah, at any hospital, there are going to be -- and have to be in the training cycle -- rookies. How in the world, then, as you lie prone, and gurgling, do you guard against on-the-job-training on your body? Hmmm.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope they wear a decent mask when in the hospital to protect others from their disease.

Yes, the only real reason to wear a mask, i.e., to protect your fellow citizens if you have, or suspect you have, Corona19 (sayeth the US CDC).

"Interesting that Trump tweeted/implied this virus was a Democrat 'hoax' in an election year."

That is categorically false. 

Please check actual facts before posting and following total rubbish. 

Here is the quote during a rally in South Carolina: 

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right?”

“Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa.”

“They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

Context matters. The president was clearly referring to the Democrats' trying to blame Trump for the outbreak, (which is laughable), not that the virus itself was a hoax. 

So if you can't understand that, then stay on the sidelines and let the adults take it from here.

17 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, at any hospital, there are going to be -- and have to be in the training cycle -- rookies. How in the world, then, as you lie prone, and gurgling, do you guard against on-the-job-training on your body? Hmmm.

Also keep in mind that the medical students who graduate at the top of their class and those who graduate at the bottom of their class all receive the same diploma.  And after graduating, they're all called "doctor."

5 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Also keep in mind that the medical students who graduate at the top of their class and those who graduate at the bottom of their class all receive the same diploma.  And after graduating, they're all called "doctor."

Just like in every country in the world.

Suggesting a correlation of skill/outcome differences in specific surgeries between physicians based on number of procedures performed, etc., is one thing: strong evidence for that.

Length of hospital stay is strongly correlated with post-op infections.

For some disease for which treatment options are limited/simple/palliative-only: such hypothetical correlations are unwarranted.

~o:37;

I have an on-topic co-question - regarding the Thailand situation specifically.  There there an official Government policy concerning what to do if you do have corona virus, and, is this testing/quarantine/hospitalization paid for by the Government?

There was an announcement about 10 days ago that suggested all costs - for Thai and Foreigners - for testing and treatment of covid-19 would be paid for by the state.  If that still the case?

• Like 1