Coronavirus may force Americans to avoid crowds and cancel cruises, health official warns

webfact

9 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The Republican power base always knew he was toxic but held their noses when he stole the crown and cheered up the stock market and energised his base with his rallies. Now the market is collapsing and his rallies will be gone soon - support will drain away quicker than a snowman on Pattaya beach. Him doing a runner or it will be a '25er' on him and soonest. Pence for all his faults at least has some dignity in this crisis. 

This sounds very much like what I've been hearing about Trump and his support since he announced his candidacy, through various trials such as the nomination, the general election, his first year, the Mueller crusade, impeachment, etc. Why is this time any different from the many other times the you-know-what sufferers have been so incredibly wrong?

Wow, just think they are all out on the streets chomping on all that finger food, the doughnuts, the hot dogs, the pretzels. Talk about a sitting duck. Don't touch your face? How are they going to get all that food in?

27 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Pence, for all his faults and nutty religious extremism, is still a decent human being.  Trump is not.  If Trump didn't have daddy's money, he'd be just another Pattaya conman trying to fleece the most gullible. 

Spot on a Drew Noyes on mega -steroids...

For Trump, Coronavirus Proves to Be an Enemy He Can’t Tweet Away
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/us/politics/trump-coronavirus.html

Mr. Trump, who is at his strongest politically when he has a human enemy to attack, has seemed less certain of how to take on an invisible killer. The role of calming natural leader is not one that has come easily as he struggles to find the balance between public reassurance and Panglossian dismissiveness. He has predicted that the virus will “miraculously” disappear on its own with warmer weather, suggested a vaccine will be available soon and insisted anyone who wants to be tested can be — all overstated or inaccurate.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If you listen to the full transcript, Trump didn’t made the decision for the passengers to disembark. He categorically off loaded the responsibility to Mike Pence. 

"Offloaded responsibility" ????

Is that your weird way of saying that he let the person he appointed to make such decisions make the decision?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Ventenio said:

i want the names of all the IDIOTS who bought tickets for a cruise in the last month!!!!  i'm sure there are idiots today buying tickets.  

who are these morons???????????????????

Doubt there are any.  Most people who book long-distance cruises do so 6-months to a year out.

19 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

The Trumpers and their hero are going to be strangled by their own past rhetoric like Brer Rabbit in a briar patch...

Former Trump friend (Mini) Mike Bloomberg is expected to run ads valued at $1-200m reminding voters of the nonsense this administration has put out about the virus. Even his CNBC   sycophant  Cramer told him on air today to stop golfing and get to work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pegman said:

Former Trump friend (Mini) Mike Bloomberg is expected to run ads valued at $1-200m reminding voters of the nonsense this administration has put out about the virus. Even his CNBC   sycophant  Cramer told him on air today to stop golfing and get to work.

While the crash was long in coming and no one could have predicted the coronavirus - Trump's ineptitude at the helm has cost at least a trillion dollars according to some and no doubt 100's if not thousands of lives. The sooner he's gone the sooner the US has a fighting chance of licking this threat. He is bringing nothing to the party just his overarching , insatiable ego and in fact is getting in the way of effective bipartisan leadership,the communication of timely accurate information and appropriate decisive action. No medical expert charged with defending the health of the American people should be afraid to voice their opinions for what the President thinks or feels. 

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/scaramucci-on-coronavirus-and-markets-143429380.html

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

i want the names of all the IDIOTS who bought tickets for a cruise in the last month!!!!  i'm sure there are idiots today buying tickets.  

who are these morons???????????????????

Cheap Charlies. Out of morbid curiosity I looked at cruise ship prices. Less than half what they were a year ago.

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Doubt there are any.  Most people who book long-distance cruises do so 6-months to a year out.

just read this mornings aussie Newspaper, that Cruise Companies are now compromising... enabling Cancellations/Deferrals to those who made their Bookings, up until 3March.

Only a 'small administration fee' applies to the Cancellations

14 hours ago, Gervais Bilodeau said:

16 deaths came from one location...a long term care facility for seniors. Those were caused by protocols not being followed by the staff. Without this, the death rate in USA would be similar to other countries.

We are now seeing outbreaks in 36 states. Some of this was preventable. The US is up to 708 cases, with4 new cases in the past 24 hours, and 27 deaths. It is only going to spread from here.

The number of known coronavirus cases in the United States continues to grow rapidly. As of Monday evening, at least 707 people in 36 states and Washington, D.C. have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a New York Times database, and at least 26 patients with the virus have died.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Rural red state America is pretty safe. We all know where the biggest chance of an uncontrolled plague sprouting up is. If you guessed San Francisco and NYC you win. 

55555....just wait a few weeks.  Or days.  Florida, Texas, Georgia....it's coming.

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We are now seeing outbreaks in 36 states. Some of this was preventable. The US is up to 708 cases, with4 new cases in the past 24 hours, and 27 deaths. It is only going to spread from here.

The number of known coronavirus cases in the United States continues to grow rapidly. As of Monday evening, at least 707 people in 36 states and Washington, D.C. have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a New York Times database, and at least 26 patients with the virus have died.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Thats pretty bad for just a hoax.

It will be ok, don is working on the stock market.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

55555....just wait a few weeks.  Or days.  Florida, Texas, Georgia....it's coming.

Rural people staying in their home, many growing or raising their own food. How are they going to get it? They don't even need the  masks that are out of stock everywhere.

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Rural people staying in their home, many growing or raising their own food. How are they going to get it? They don't even need the  masks that are out of stock everywhere.

Ummm...very few Americans are farmers any more, I'm sure you realize.  It's just the nature of a pandemic, community spread and all that.  It's already in 34 states.  And then there's a cruise ship in Florida.  The reason the numbers are still relatively low (if you call 500+ low) is because the US hasn't tested that many people yet. 

• Like 1

I have plans to fly back to the US in just two weeks time, for over a month. Now, I am wondering if I will be allowed back into Thailand. By late April this could become quite an epidemic in the US. The unpreparedness of the administration, and having simple men like Pence in charge, is not going to help. Now we have the feds directing the CDC to engage in a coverup of the virus numbers. 

A tally of the number of people tested for the novel coronavirus disappeared from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website on Monday. The change was first reported by journalist Judd Legum on Twitter.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161693/cdc-coronavirus-testing-numbers-website-disappear-expansion-us

457163942.jpg.0.jpg

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2020 at 8:32 AM, webfact said:

Germany, which has nearly 1,000 cases, on Sunday urged the cancellation of all events with more than 1,000 people.

I know this isn't (as yet) directed at the US, but I can see similar measures taken if things get worse, but can someone tell me what the relevance to the 1,000 number is to stop viral spread?

I understand they are trying to cause less disruptions by cancelling large events, but if they are going to stop large crowds then do it across the board; less than 1,000 doesn't stop contamination and more to the point, doesn't stop the spread due to anyone being infected when they leave the gathering and go back to the normal population.

IMO, false sense of security and ignorance to how viruses spread.

21 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It would really amaze me if the CDC were to engage in a cover-up.  If it were the Trump Administration, definitely believable.  It would put us on the same level as N. Korea.  Speaking of N. Korea, it seems they have an epidemic but are still denying it....

[North Korea's official stance on the coronavirus as of Monday remains the same, according to a state-run newspaper: "The infectious disease did not flow into our country yet."]

[South Korea's Daily NK news organization, however, reports that 200 soldiers are dead from the virus and another 4,000 people are in quarantine.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/almost-200-north-korean-soldiers-193704254.html

Me too. It would require a massive amount of federal governmental pressure, like the withdrawal of even more funding, than the $30 million he cut from the epidemiology budget of the CDC not long after coming into office, which was bone headed. Inane. Ignorant. Non visionary. Insipid. Surly. Cruel. Mean spirited. Simply dumb and dumber. 

This was from 25 months ago: Global health organizations said critical momentum will be lost if epidemic prevention funding is reduced, leaving the world unprepared for the next outbreak. The risks of deadly and costly pandemic threats are higher than ever, especially in low- and middle-income countries with the weakest public health systems, experts say. A rapid response by a country can mean the difference between an isolated outbreak and a global catastrophe. In less than 36 hours, infectious disease and pathogens can travel from a remote village to major cities on any continent to become a global crisis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/02/01/cdc-to-cut-by-80-percent-efforts-to-prevent-global-disease-outbreak/

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Me too. It would require a massive amount of federal governmental pressure, like the withdrawal of even more funding, than the $30 million he cut from the epidemiology budget of the CDC not long after coming into office, which was bone headed. Inane. Ignorant. Non visionary. Insipid. Surly. Cruel. Mean spirited. Simply dumb and dumber. 

This was from 25 months ago: Global health organizations said critical momentum will be lost if epidemic prevention funding is reduced, leaving the world unprepared for the next outbreak. The risks of deadly and costly pandemic threats are higher than ever, especially in low- and middle-income countries with the weakest public health systems, experts say. A rapid response by a country can mean the difference between an isolated outbreak and a global catastrophe. In less than 36 hours, infectious disease and pathogens can travel from a remote village to major cities on any continent to become a global crisis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/02/01/cdc-to-cut-by-80-percent-efforts-to-prevent-global-disease-outbreak/

He actively diminished the country's ability to respond to just such a crisis:

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Defending against criticism of his handling of the coronavirus, President Trump suggested the other day that he could hardly have been expected to be ready for such an unexpected crisis.

“Who would have thought?” he asked during a visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the nerve center for the government’s response to the outbreak. “Who would have thought we would even be having the subject?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/us/politics/trump-coronavirus.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I know this isn't (as yet) directed at the US, but I can see similar measures taken if things get worse, but can someone tell me what the relevance to the 1,000 number is to stop viral spread?

Good point. 999 is ok but not 1000! ????

But But But... It's all a big hoax perpetrated by the anti-Trump forces in the world, Fox News has long wanted us to believe...

Except just from today from the mouth of Fox itself:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/commander-of-us-army-europe-self-quarantines-coronavirus

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mark-meadows-trumps-incoming-chief-of-staff-to-self-quarantine-over-coronavirus-fears

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-campaign-reportedly-calls-off-bus-tour-amid-coronavirus-concerns

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-carlson-coronavirus-outbreak-painful-period

Is it possible, a tiny sliver of reality is finally breaking thru the partisan haze...

• Sad 1

Frankly one would have to be a bit silly, IMO, to be going on a cruise or attending a large gathering at the moment. Go on a cruise- be prepared to be quarantined.

That alone isn't going to stop one becoming infected, but it's less likely if one doesn't attend sports events or go on pleasure cruises.