Good time to abandon the TM 30

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know they still want a TM30 report if you stayed in a hotel that reported your stay.

Ubon immigration seems to be strict; on a trip to Ubon in December, I was asked to provide my passport for check-in. Usually, in all these years of travel around the country, my Thai driver's license suffices, with very rare exceptions.

30 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

in Hua Hin last month when doing my 90 day the officer definitely looked for (and found) my 30, he grunted with approval and away I went..  

never  been asked there and just done my extension of stay, also not mentioned  when doing online 90 day report.......6 years now and been in and  out numerous times

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kimchibob said:

Flew in from the Philippines last night, so went to Immigration (Jomtien) today to file a TM30.  Just out of curiosity, I asked the IO if a TM30 is required when returning to a long established address.  I got a resounding YES from all 3 ladies at desk 10.  So there you have it, this the policy at one office at this point in  time.  Admittedly, that could change  this afternoon, tomorrow, or next week.  BTW, most people were paying fines.  The average seemed to be about ฿1300.

Why not just mail it in? Last thing I'd want to do right now is go to an immigration office with all the COVID-19 measures and the usual queues. Besides, there are better ways to spend one's time. I'd also rather spend 2 minutes in a post office than even 2 seconds in an immigration office.

I returned to Chiangmai from a week in Laos Saturday.  I was (and still am) confused about the requirement to report, so I went to Promenada.  The immigration officer told me this is not my responsibility, it is my landlord’s. My landlord is not a professional landlord.  I am not going to bother him with this.  

1 minute ago, Chazar said:

never  been asked there and just done my extension of stay, also not mentioned  when doing online 90 day report.......6 years now and been in and  out numerous times

Thailand has never been consistent on anything. Different offices, different interpretations of the same rules. Of course, good that a TM30 is not required or simply ignored at your local office.

To illustrate my point, a bit off topic but do you recall the 2016 debacle on all the Chinese cars coming in. Well, on June 27, 2016 they introduced a law requiring all foreign cars and motorcycles (except those registered in direct neighboring countries + Singapore) to apply for permission before entering the country using an agent. Then, at the end of the year they started requiring a guide and lead vehicle. No more campervans either. Well, I've seen numerous foreign vehicles in Thailand since then including some campervans who got in with no guide, and no permit. Some border crossings have been allowing foreign vehicles in without any pre-approvals, despite the rules having been published in the Royal Gazette. Admittedly, some borders have been strict this entire time, but there are Facebook groups devoted to finding out which borders are "easy" and which ones aren't. The only vehicles that definitely need a permit and guide in every case are Chinese registered, but everyone else can still come in, if they choose their port of entry carefully.

So even rules published in the Royal Gazette aren't necessarily followed.

4 hours ago, kimchibob said:

Flew in from the Philippines last night, so went to Immigration (Jomtien) today to file a TM30.  Just out of curiosity, I asked the IO if a TM30 is required when returning to a long established address.  I got a resounding YES from all 3 ladies at desk 10.  So there you have it, this the policy at one office at this point in  time.  Admittedly, that could change  this afternoon, tomorrow, or next week.  BTW, most people were paying fines.  The average seemed to be about ฿1300.

My fine was only ฿800.  I paid it and then moved along.  I didn’t stand around at the cashier watching everybody else and counting how much they paid.  Didn’t they give you funny looks for doing that?

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

this is my sixth year here too and that was the first time, I was a little surprised. It was also the first time dealing with a guy there (blueport) all the other occasions were with women. Don't know what would of happened if I hadn't one, maybe nothing. This is first one I've had in 18 years and I just happened to get it at my last extension so perhaps just a fluke. 

Phontong, shows you & Jomtien IO are not keeping up to date with TM30 requirements. It was published by Immigration about 2 weeks ago that if you are returning to the SAME permanent address, whether from another Province or from overseas, you are no longer required to submit a fresh TM30.

Edited by TigerandDog
correction
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Phontong, shows you're not keeping up to date with TM30 requirements. It was published by Immigration about 2 weeks ago that if you are returning to the SAME permanent address, whether from another Province or from overseas, you are no longer required to submit a fresh TM30.

Not at Khon Kaen. Wife must do a new TM30 everytime I do a border run. Last one was Monday last week

19 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Phontong, shows you & Jomtien IO are not keeping up to date with TM30 requirements. It was published by Immigration about 2 weeks ago that if you are returning to the SAME permanent address, whether from another Province or from overseas, you are no longer required to submit a fresh TM30.

That was only for address reporting under section 37 of the immigration act.

TM30 reporting is under section 38.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Immigration never published this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I missed the 48 hour deadline recently moving house so expecting the BMW smartcar here any day now.

I have all the forms ready, it's just the owner took 3 days to return them, so not worth the risk handing them in now.

When did the BMW smart car start hunting people late reporting a TM-30 (and I thought it had to be done within 24hrs) ?

Back to thread though, Sriracha today wanted a TM-30 for a residency cert.... drive me bonkers  as I have a work permit and 2 year extension but it is what it is and luckily only take a minute or so to do online.

Rather amusing though ive had to get 5 residency certs in the past 6 months and every TM-30 is dated for the same day I get the cert...... clearly a complete wank.

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

this is my sixth year here too and that was the first time, I was a little surprised. It was also the first time dealing with a guy there (blueport) all the other occasions were with women. Don't know what would of happened if I hadn't one, maybe nothing. This is first one I've had in 18 years and I just happened to get it at my last extension so perhaps just a fluke. 

I  never  use  blueport, maybe thats why

8 hours ago, kimchibob said:

Exactly. Jomtien has always required a TM30 when re-entering the country. Same as when I asked them the same question nearly a year ago,

5 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

this is my sixth year here too and that was the first time, I was a little surprised. It was also the first time dealing with a guy there (blueport)..

Where is blueport?

19 hours ago, kimchibob said:

Odd isn't it. I was there myself yesterday to get a re-entry permit and noticed the TM30 room was not overly busy. I still have never done a TM30 for myself and until it gets mentioned, will carry on. Which desk is checking people have a TM30? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How?

Immigration does not share any info with the revenue department.

Seems like it would be easy for the revenue dept. to access TM30 info. I don't know that they do it, but I don't know if they don't. 

21 hours ago, PhonThong said:

I assure you. It is required in Roi et. 

Not what I was told by the Imm' Officer there in December. 

He said no need for long time marriage visa stayers anymore. (10 years plus in my case at the same address)

Short time stayers and other visa holders may of course be different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, albertik said:

Seems like it would be easy for the revenue dept. to access TM30 info. I don't know that they do it, but I don't know if they don't. 

They don't and would not want to bother with it.

Do you have any idea of how many reports are in that database and not all of them are done by owners of a residence.

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

Where is blueport?

It is a small immigration office in Hua Hin that is only for 90 day reports, TM30 reports and tourist entry extensions that is located in a mall by that name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They don't and would not want to bother with it.

Do you have any idea of how many reports are in that database and not all of them are done by owners of a residence.

I hope you are right. BTW, who gets the revenue from fines levied for TM30 infractions Immigration?

Surely computers could make quick work of sorting out TM30 compliance, but that supposes that all those involved with rental properties (hotels, Airbnb, condo owners, etc) are registered.  They could be found out when and if the renter or lessee has to do business with Immigration.   Yes? / No? 

4 minutes ago, albertik said:

I hope you are right. BTW, who gets the revenue from fines levied for TM30 infractions Immigration?

Of course immigration get the revenue. No different than the fees they charge.

7 minutes ago, albertik said:

Surely computers could make quick work of sorting out TM30 compliance,

Only a name, passport number or TM6 number search can be done on the database for those that were reported.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

TM27 and TM28 are two different forms

Sorry I must have mistaken one over the other...the one I meant was the address change form. I thought it was TM28 but maybe I meant TM27. Since you're so knowledgeable about these forms, please indicate which one's which.

21 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Sorry I must have mistaken one over the other...the one I meant was the address change form. I thought it was TM28 but maybe I meant TM27. Since you're so knowledgeable about these forms, please indicate which one's which.

TM27 is used to report to immigration police if you can not stay at the place as indicated (for example on the arrival card)

TM28 is used by illegal immigrants (with the recent change people on non-o visas/extensions are now exempt, previously they had to do this as well) to report to the local police station if they will stay in their area for more than 24 hours.

Afaik TM27 has never been enforced, but the latest announcement which made non-o visa holders exempt of TM28 also included an updated version of the TM27 form, so maybe they are planning to use it in the future.