What lies beyond the epidemic

Brunolem

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Maybe, but within China the huge difference between the infection rates in Wuhan and Chongqing aren't due to cultural differences, but to how quickly the local government imposed quarantine and other containment measures.

I was talking about Thailand not China.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

I was talking about Thailand not China.

Right and I was talking about how weak cultural differences are to explain differential rates of infection for which the experiences of Wuhan and Chongqing serve as a natural experiment.  When people are trying to explain something they don't understand they naturally focus on aspects like cultural differences which are at least observable.  But often that explanation doesn't hold up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Valid point, although I suspect the Thai authorities are playing fast and loose with the number of cases.

I understand there is still plenty of close contact in the massage shops and karaokes in every Thai city, so perhaps only the virtuous will survive. Pattaya looks like an ideal breeding ground, if there are any tourists left.

in Pattaya I won't be having any massages or other stuff for a month or more, see how it goes. Just wondering how the girls in town will cope when it truly will be very quiet. They are already saying no customer

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

in Pattaya I won't be having any massages or other stuff for a month or more, see how it goes. Just wondering how the girls in town will cope when it truly will be very quiet. They are already saying no customer

I'm 65 and have pre existing medical conditions. Had to go into hospital this week for an appendectomy. If I haven't caught Covid-19 from that excursion I now fully intend to exercise self isolation until this has passed, however long that may be. I will not be leaving my house or recieving visitors. SPOC - the wife.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm 65 and have pre existing medical conditions. Had to go into hospital this week for an appendectomy. If I haven't caught Covid-19 from that excursion I now fully intend to exercise self isolation until this has passed, however long that may be. I will not be leaving my house or recieving visitors. SPOC - the wife.

i think self isolation is sensible until this blows over. I'm not touching anyone, i cancelled a Bangkok trip yesterday, playing golf today, just avoiding all close contact. Can't avoid supermarkets, I've stopped buying loose food like meat and pastries, the other stuff you just hope factories have enough gloves and masks

59 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't understand???? How arrogant and ignorant are you?????

Covid- 19 is primarily passed on by contact. Understand? The question was asked "why has Thailand such low rates of transmission (R0)" Still with me? I answered by pointing out that Thailand's culture means that there are unusually low levels of personal contact here. Agreed? I also qualified that by pointing out that the country with one of the highest rates of transmission (Italy) has a high level of personal contact due to it's social culture. Capiche?

Weak cultural differences? Very strong cultural differences, particularly when considering the differences in transmission rates of Covid-19.

Clear? Or are you going to continue doing your keyboard warrior thing and feebly trying to rip peoples posts apart and personally insult them merely because you didn't have the brains to think of the explanation?

I can see that you have convinced yourself, but not me.  I guess that the difference between "plausible" and "supported by evidence" escapes you.  Enjoy your certainty.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I can see that you have convinced yourself, but not me.  I guess that the difference between "plausible" and "supported by evidence" escapes you.  Enjoy your certainty.

I offered a plausible explanation, supported by evidence, but never claimed it as a fact. Just a theory.

My personal opinion , based on infection rates in other countries, is that Thailand has i.r.o 100,000 people infected with Covid-19.

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I offered a plausible explanation, supported by evidence, but never claimed it as a fact. Just a theory.

My personal opinion , based on infection rates in other countries, is that Thailand has i.r.o 100,000 people infected with Covid-19.

So you aggressively support two theories, that lack evidence and contradict each other, apparently without your noticing?  Thanks for sharing your "personal opinions."  

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

So you like guessing

Just now, cmarshall said:

So you aggressively support two theories, that lack evidence and contradict each other, apparently without your noticing?  Thanks for sharing your "personal opinions."  

No aggression at all, only in your imagination. One, a theory I postulated, the other my personal opinion.

4 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Corona is a con job. Swine flu killed 575k.

I guess you are part of the climate change deniers.

Those who dismiss the virus as a hoax share the same profile and use the same kind of "arguments".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

you need but open your eyes to see that this is different... stock markets crashing, economies are and will be contracting, sporting events are being played w/o audience [who will buy those expensive hotdogs and beer? - and how many people will lose their jobs] Chiang Mai is a ghost town and a freind just emailed that NYC is the same... 

the world will never be the same.. 

Yes...things are getting very nasty on the economic side...and the recession hasn't even started!

Lockdown in a globalised economy is a recipe for disaster, maybe even a death sentence.

There is a lot of pain coming...and not from the virus...

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Those who dismiss the virus as a hoax share the same profile and use the same kind of "arguments".

They all hate Greta Thunberg too. Check out threads on her. Same posters.

But the Flagellants, with their visions and their superstitions, their debauches and their discipline, their idealism and their brutality, provide a uniquely revealing insight into the mind of medieval post modern man when confronted with overwhelming and inexplicable catastrophe.

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I can see that you have convinced yourself, but not me. 

Why not? He made an excellent point. Are you so self righteousn that you would just reject it out of hand with insults because it doesnt suit your personal weltanshauung??

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

There are no climate change deniers. There are only cultists led by the nose by anti capitalist luddites, and normal folks like me who question why I need to go back to medieval times to solve a problem that folks cant demonstrate exists.....the wordl is still here Al, still here.

Similarly, I see the virus as a problem blown way the hell out of proportion for political ends.

So maybe expand your generalizations a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

There are no climate change deniers. There are only cultists led by the nose by anti capitalist luddites, and normal folks like me who question why I need to go back to medieval times to solve a problem that folks cant demonstrate exists.....the wordl is still here Al, still here.

Similarly, I see the virus as a problem blown way the hell out of proportion for political ends.

So maybe expand your generalizations a bit. 

I've sort of assumed the virus is real and about to kill us all ...... but the governments think we will panic if they tell us how many are really dying.

That's the great thing about conspiracy theories, you can spin them either way.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2