Samui Covid-19 Free

10 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Assume the headline is true. Then when things open back up again, there is a blank canvas for the virus to spread like wildfire. 

What is the plan then? To lockdown forever?

That’s pretty much the gist of it. Most responsible governments will be using the lockdown period to fortify their health services as best as possible and develop strategies to isolate the elderly and high risk groups to minimize the death toll. Once lockdown finishes it will just start blooming exponentially and further lockdowns may be required if health services are being overwhelmed. There is no short term pretty picture. Until a vaccine is developed and assuming they can develop one it is going to be a long road.  

On 3/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, khunPer said:

Just checked on coronavirus spread:

Airborne up to three hours, whilst a normal influenza virus can stay airborne up to one hours.

Virus can live on cardboard up to 24 hours, and on stainless steel up to 72 hours.

The scientific article is not yet published, but available here...
MedRXIV "Aerosol and surface stability of HCoV-19 (SARS-CoV-2) compared to SARS-CoV-1".

Virus not strong after 10 mins on objects. Getting a dose 24 hrs would be mild and good immune booster.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The local Thai news talks about isolating the island – must be like some provinces and Phuket, no unauthorized entry and exit – says they are signing the papers now.

About time, too. ????

Confirmed:
The mayor of Koh Samui announced today that the popular island will be effectively sealed off from tomorrow, 7th April until 30th April.

To pass in or out travellers must have a letter confirming their health from a public hospital in Thailand. This must have been issued within the last 72 hours.

Even then virtually anyone can be recommended for government sanctioned quarantine of 14 days if coming from a risky area or they have been in a risky situation.

40 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Confirmed:
The mayor of Koh Samui announced today that the popular island will be effectively sealed off from tomorrow, 7th April until 30th April.

I'm hoping this is just for 'travellers' and not food supplies etc...the article itself is very brief and I can't find the source by following the link as it's all in Thai

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1158007-koh-samui-sealed-off-until-end-of-the-month/?utm_source=newsletter-20200406-1255&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Just read on the 'other' newspaper that ferry's will continue to supply the island with consumer products, postal services etc

Edited by Neilly
More info

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

I'm hoping this is just for 'travellers' and not food supplies etc...the article itself is very brief and I can't find the source by following the link as it's all in Thai

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1158007-koh-samui-sealed-off-until-end-of-the-month/?utm_source=newsletter-20200406-1255&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Just read on the 'other' newspaper that ferry's will continue to supply the island with consumer products, postal services etc

Not food and essential supplies etc., just like in other provinces.

You can find a good Thai article here, which will make sense using Google-translate...
ด่วน สั่งปิดเกาะสมุย สกัดโควิด-19

On 4/6/2020 at 6:58 AM, Swimfan said:

That’s pretty much the gist of it. Most responsible governments will be using the lockdown period to fortify their health services as best as possible and develop strategies to isolate the elderly and high risk groups to minimize the death toll. Once lockdown finishes it will just start blooming exponentially and further lockdowns may be required if health services are being overwhelmed. There is no short term pretty picture. Until a vaccine is developed and assuming they can develop one it is going to be a long road.  

That is not responsible, or it is arguable I should say.

Planning to shut down economies multiple times in the coming years is not a responsible move from anyone's point of view. 

Surat Thani orders to shut down hotels from 8-30 April 2020. 

1. Close every type of hotels and any places used as the same accommodation purpose except hotels which are used as hospitals for local quarantine. 

2. Hotels according to No.1 , if there are current guests before this order, guests are allowed to stay until they finish their stay and the hotel should be closed right after the last current guests checked out. Hotels cannot accept new guests during mentioned periods. Furthermore, Every hotels must report number of guests in the hotel to officer immediately. If any guests has COVID-19 symptoms, should be sent to local quarantines. 

Those violating the order could face a 2 years imprisonment or a fine up to 40,000 THB or an imprisonment and a fine. 

Data on 07 April 2020. 
Source : Pr. Surat

Surat Thani orders all hotels to shut down from 8th to 30th April.

1. Close every type of hotels and any places used as the same accommodation purpose except hotels which are used as hospitals for local quarantine.

2. Hotels according to No.1 , if there are current guests before this order, guests are allowed to stay until they finish their stay and the hotel should be closed right after the last current guests checked out. Hotels cannot accept new guests during mentioned periods. Furthermore, Every hotels must report number of guests in the hotel to officer immediately. If any guests has COVID-19 symptoms, should be sent to local quarantines.

Those violating the order could face a 2 years imprisonment or a fine up to 40,000 THB or an imprisonment and a fine.

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: tekst

Billedet indeholder sandsynligvis: tekst

10 hours ago, khunPer said:

Surat Thani orders all hotels to shut down from 8th to 30th April.

1. Close every type of hotels and any places used as the same accommodation purpose except hotels which are used as hospitals for local quarantine.

The resort where my wife works had an emergency management meeting last night and are having another one this morning on what to do. They currently have no guests in the resort. My wife says that the farang managers seem to be the most worried because their visas are work-dependent for the most part. They worry about what will happen to their visa status if they are unemployed because of this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

The resort where my wife works had an emergency management meeting last night and are having another one this morning on what to do. They currently have no guests in the resort. My wife says that the farang managers seem to be the most worried because their visas are work-dependent for the most part. They worry about what will happen to their visa status if they are unemployed because of this.

That could be a real issue. It is something that has not happened before - becoming unemployed by an order from the government. Local officers are usually not very flexible nor able to think outside of the box. If it were me, I would go and talk to someone who really knows the immigration laws and has good contacts. Someone like Herbert over in Nathon. I am sure that there are others.

https://hdvisa-thailand.com/

8 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

So far it's only from today and till end of April, so if a work permit is not due to be renewed within that period, will there be a problem then?

It's not the company that close, they are just not allowed to accept clients/customers and keep service running for a limited period.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 1:09 PM, phetphet said:

It's now been 14 days since the last (reported) case here in Samui.

Hopefully this will allow some relaxation of closure rules for local businesses. Seeing so many queues of people waiting for food handouts.

Not sure how quickly te queues will go......part from lifting restrictions, people will need customers.....and they will only triple back slowly. Samui could be in for a hard time gargles of how many Covid cases they have. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Is there still a quarantine requirement on Samui for arrivals from other provinces such as Phuket?

I read in one TV in one of the daily updates that all visitors to Suratthani Province from Phuket would have to self quarantine for 14 days. Nothing specific was said about Samui.

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I read in one TV in one of the daily updates that all visitors to Suratthani Province from Phuket would have to self quarantine for 14 days. Nothing specific was said about Samui.

The reason I asked is GF told me that according to Samui web page, 35 people arrived yesterday from Phuket.

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

The reason I asked is GF told me that according to Samui web page, 35 people arrived yesterday from Phuket.

yes - and they will be coming down from Bangkok after the 15th.

Whether or not they really self quarantine is another question.