Dangerous Normalcy Bias?

NCC1701A

This virus and others in recent history started in a country that spends billions of dollars every year on weapons and a space program. 

Let them get their greedy fingers out and solve what they’ve created, same goes for the rest of the so called super powers.

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Like 1

One thing i find strange is that about N Korea there is no news .....it passed my mind this corona virus is " designed " in a lab ...and someone did not closed the door properly .....very caution expressed.....????

But waived the thought ...as in such case some Nations would feel to react ....and that they dont like as that would be worse...????

Edited by david555

Donald,says its going away....so maybe nothing to worry about ?.

Lots of people seem worried sick about this Coronavirus,washing

hands,masturbating,washing hands....but think nothing about getting

on their bike,in their car or truck and sally forth onto Thai roads,without

a thought.there's the real killer.

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

BREAKING: Thailand is cancelling Visa Exemption for South Korea, Hong Kong & Italy. Also, no VOA for Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan & Vanuatu.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1237644303226241024

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

BREAKING: Thailand is cancelling Visa Exemption for South Korea, Hong Kong & Italy. Also, no VOA for Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan & Vanuatu.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1237644303226241024

That makes it not advisable to fly out of Thailand ...even having 1 year ret.ext. as we never can be sure to get re entry allowed , as in abcense some Thai measures could be taken , and not all of us have direct accomodation  waiting in home country ......strange unexpected  times indead now...????

Yeah as I just traveled to the Philippines and back. Although it was a kittens walk to check out with the IO as there was nothing seriously going on for the most part - that is in really many checking stations that I saw. Only saw the one.

The biggest thing I did see was a huge, I mean huge long long line that was labelled something as Health check in just before you go into Immigration section. Could only presume these were all Chinese with their I am OK papers forged from the doctors or the other dicey countries that are hot spots. 

One thing you are correct on, is if you do get caught you are going to be shuffled off even if you don't have the virus, and I think this is the whole premise of your post and I will agree with you. that was the only point of concern as did not want to be quarantined. 

1 hour ago, twocatsmac said:

This virus and others in recent history started in a country that spends billions of dollars every year on weapons and a space program. 

Let them get their greedy fingers out and solve what they’ve created, same goes for the rest of the so called super powers.

Yeah I agree. The Chinese should pay!

• Like 1

Really, I am tired of the hysteria that's being fuelled by the media. This C19 is not a Zombie apocalyptic plague, but as is apparent, is quite contagious.

What boils my urine, is the 'Super Spreader' label, which makes it look like some computer enemy.

I posed a question a few days ago:

How many people, with no significant health problems, who are fit & well, have died,as a direct result of contracting C19?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Really, I am tired of the hysteria that's being fuelled by the media. This C19 is not a Zombie apocalyptic plague, but as is apparent, is quite contagious.

What boils my urine, is the 'Super Spreader' label, which makes it look like some computer enemy.

I posed a question a few days ago:

How many people, with no significant health problems, who are fit & well, have died,as a direct result of contracting C19?

did you know obesity is considered an 'underlying' health issue when talking about severity with this bug? There are literally millions at risk.. 

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the issue in not so much about dying from the virus anymore.

95% of people who are infected will suffer nothing more than inconvenience. It's the other 5% who are in trouble, because a rapid spread means hospitals are swamped. Only so many beds to go around. There's no way of knowing whether you are in that 5% cohort, although the elderly and those with compromised immune systems are more at risk. IMO if you are a smoker, you are definitely in the firing line.

How do you like your chances of being in the 95%?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a tendency for people to believe that things will always function the way they normally have functioned and therefore to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects"

Bias or fallacy? there are ~12 common logical fallacies that the human species errs towards, need an example, look at typical TVF posts and try to convince the poster that he is making an error in his reasoning - wont work, most of us believe in "fallacies" to some extent and use them in our arguments to convince people that we are correct ????

False attribution is a commonly used fallacy, someone reads something by someone who they consider to be an expert and beyond reproach, they cannot accept that others don't believe the same as them! :shock1:

Or in my case:- Psychologist's fallacy – an observer presupposes the objectivity of their own perspective when analysing a behavioural event. ????

Edited by CGW

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Depends on how obese.

you're right, there are degrees..

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Over 70 million adults in U.S. are obese (35 million men and 35 million women). 99 million are overweight (45 million women and 54 million men). NHANES 2016 statistics showed that about 39.6% of American adults were obese. ... Including the obese, 71.6% of all American adults age 20 and above were overweight.

People can only take common sense precautions and try to keep themselves informed. Social media thrives on trends and speculation and it is sometimes difficult to glean out the truth.

For example, my wife believes that Thai people are not so likely to get the virus because they eat a lot of chili. It doesn't matter how many times I try to explain that the virus affects the respiratory system.

We had a few drizzly days last week and my wife told me to stay out of the rain because the virus could come down with the rain.

A local restaurant was closed for 14 days by the authorities, as a precaution, because a lady who had recently returned from South Korea had eaten there. Now the lady had a certificate clearing her of the disease, but that didn't matter to the locals.

I recently returned from Australia and my wife insisted I take a 14 day 'self quarantine'. Despite the fact she has been in close and intimate contact with me she does not think there is any need for her to quarantine herself.

Me, myself, I don't think I have the virus although I variously experience sore throats, vague nasal congestion, heat flushes and sneezes. How much is perceived or real I don't really know. No symptoms lasts longer than a few hours and most of the time I feel fine.

In Italy, doctors are prioritising who lives and dies because hospitals are so stretched. Generally they will leave the elderly to die and use the limited artificial breathing equipment on the young who are more likely to live. That is why the number of deaths in Italy, as a proportion of those suffering with the virus, is so high.

I suspect the same scenario would repeat in Thailand if it gets that far.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Bias or fallacy? there are ~12 common logical fallacies that the human species errs towards, need an example, look at typical TVF posts and try to convince the poster that he is making an error in his reasoning - wont work, most of us believe in "fallacies" to some extent and use them in our arguments to convince people that we are correct ????

False attribution is a commonly used fallacy, someone reads something by someone who they consider to be an expert and beyond reproach, they cannot accept that others don't believe the same as them! :shock1:

I have never, in a post, stated " it is a well-known FACT" ..... or something similar to that statement which implies... NO, actually it makes what one says sound beyond question.

What I do say from time to time is that from MY experience I believe....     

This forum is interesting to get ideas and opinions from others that loosely fit into the group we commonly call expats.  Who are or have lived in Thailand.   The posts run the full gamut,

some entertaining or funny,  some that I agree with and others I don't.

As for accepting what others have to say....haha...   you can take it from the expert Rumak

that for many here this is mostly an opportunity to seek approval or vent their frustrations.

Bias, fallacies, truths.........  are in the eyes of the beholder.   Are forums  just another example of the world at large ?  Where might is right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Nobody knows because it's just started.How many will have their lives cut short by 5-10-20 even 30 years by this?Do you know?