Thailand confirms 6 new COVID-19 infections, 59 cases in total

Jonathan Fairfield

Confirmed infections toll climbs to 59

800_ad623afeb938aa5.jpg

The number of confirmed Covid-19 infections in Thailand has risen to 59 with the announcement of six more on Wednesday (March 11) – and none of the new cases involves Thai migrant labourers just returned from South Korea.

The Public Health Ministry said the newly confirmed cases are:

• A 21-year-old Immigration official stationed at Suvarnabhumi Airport who began showing symptoms on Sunday and was confirmed as infected in two lab tests

• An employee of the same airport, age 40, who fell ill on Saturday. These people did not work in the same area.

• A company man, 25, whose “mysterious” pneumonia turned out to be Covid-19 infection. He has not travelled abroad, but recently visited a popular Thai tourist attraction. He is being treated at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute. No infection has been found in any of his close contacts so far.

• A woman, 27, recently returned from South Korea who began showing symptoms on Sunday. She is being treated at Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital in Bangkok.

• Another 40-year-old man who returned from Japan on February 25 and was suspected of being infected while having a broken wrist treated at a private hospital

• A Singaporean male, 36, who fell ill on Friday, also admitted to Bamrasnaradura

Of the 59 people confirmed as infected in Thailand, 34 have recovered, 23 remain under medical care and one has died.

Ministry officials assert that Thailand is still only in the second phase of the contagion, with limited local transmission. The third phase would bring a massive breakout.

There are 241 Thai labourers just returned from South Korea – 104 male and 137 female – in quarantine at Sattahip Naval Base. Eight of them were working in the city of Daegu or North Gyeongsang province, which have seen that country’s worst outbreaks. 

The 80 labourers who evaded screening checkpoints at Suvarnabhumi on their return from South Korea have all been located, persuaded by relatives and friends to report to health authorities.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383845

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-11

TAT-Infographic-Factsheet-Coronavirus-Situation-in-Thailand-11-March-2020.jpg

6 minutes ago, monkfish said:

FOREIGNERS MUST BANKROLL THEIR COVID-19 TREATMENT IN THAILAND: OFFICIALS

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2020/03/11/foreigners-must-bankroll-their-covid-19-treatment-in-thailand-officials/

Are Expats covered?

The article say "While Thais and expats are covered by Thailand’s universal healthcare program, either by the so-called 30 baht welfare or labor social security, foreign travelers must foot the bill",.........about as vague as can be.  Better check with Pacific Cross or your local medical insurance.

19 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Only marginally younger. Thailand's population is aging fast, and is one of the oldest in the developing world.

Last I checked I think it was >20% over 65's in Italy and about 12% in Thailand. Roughly double the amount that are in the highest risk group.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The article say "While Thais and expats are covered by Thailand’s universal healthcare program, either by the so-called 30 baht welfare or labor social security, foreign travelers must foot the bill",.........about as vague as can be.  Better check with Pacific Cross or your local medical insurance.

Yes I think they talk about Expats who pay social security and most insurances won't cover epidemic, the other question is will we be charged Thai price or Farang price for treatment?

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The 80 labourers who evaded screening checkpoints at Suvarnabhumi on their return from South Korea have all been located, persuaded by relatives and friends to report to health authorities.

and all those friends and relatives also now need to isolate thereselves to prevent it getting a possible foothold in those areas ..

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1

Thailand is cancelling Visa Exemption for South Korea, Hong Kong & Italy. Also, no VOA for Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan & Vanuatu.‬

Citizens of those countries will now have to get visas at their local Thai Embassy. You may also be asked to produce a health certificate to say you are free of #COVID19.

Expect other nations to lose their visa exemption rights in the coming weeks. This is a clear signal that if you can, you should delay your holiday to Thailand or go and get a tourist visa now in anticipation that you might lose your visa exemption rights later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeyScars said:

Singaporean who was infected is a honest man. (Humble and clever way to give a bird to the Thai officials)

Hope he recovers soon.

From the other thread: 

Now we know that a lot of those 2k PUIs with "pending lab results" have actually tested positive but have not been confirmed. It is as I suspected, they are not able to do the confirmations or are deliberately stalling them.

In effect they've created a bottleneck: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf

Right there in the "Positive for COVID-19" box. They are stuck in limbo.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zydeco said:

Once again, the coronavirus mainly attacks those over 60. Except in Thailand.

Surely the virus can 'attack' anyone. But it is the elderly people, usually those with other conditions, who's immune system cannot fight the attack.

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

From the other thread: 

Now we know that a lot of those 2k PUIs with "pending lab results" have actually tested positive but have not been confirmed. It is as I suspected, they are not able to do the confirmations or are deliberately stalling them.

"Persons Under Investigation" (PUI)  figures appears to be 4,848 as of 11 March at 3pm:

image.png

Well I need to congratulate the Thai government on their handling of the Coronavirus. Only 59 cases !!!!! , yet it’s a country that has a high number of tourists from all over the world especially Chinese.

I think they need to share their success with the rest of the world. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Well I need to congratulate the Thai government on their handling of the Coronavirus. Only 59 cases !!!!! , yet it’s a country that has a high number of tourists from all over the world especially Chinese.

I think they need to share their success with the rest of the world. 

Please congratulate North Korea!!!!!!  They are now the less affected place on Earth!!!  Many Chinese go there as well......really great!!!  

4 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Please congratulate North Korea!!!!!!  They are now the less affected place on Earth!!!  Many Chinese go there as well......really great!!!  

Yeah because they shot the first guy who sneezed. ????

• Haha 2

went to Nong khai Thai general Hospital yesterday.

Had slight fever . coughing sore throat

Also been exposed by Air Asia too corona suspect

After waiting 1 hour for ambulance told to sit outside where everyone arriving for emergency.

After 1 hour again a fan was put on for me then told AFTER ANOTHER 45 MINS don't have corona in issan no worry go to Bangkok if you want a test.

We don't have here.

DONT HAVE HERE ? IN A Border town with hundreds of chinese passing through daily.

Gave me some pills for bronchitis.

The country is thick

When can I leaving not coming back what alternative is don't know but this place is a farce a pantomime.

you cant even send a story to the bangkok post or the nation. (if anyone does know how tell me)

people's lives are at risk because of their Mai Pen Rai attitude.

Love my wife & son but not Thailand anymore.

DON'T WANT US HERE

THEY JUST PROVED IT.

reply issan forum
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LekFAB said:

went to Nong khai Thai general Hospital yesterday.

Had slight fever . coughing sore throat

Also been exposed by Air Asia too corona suspect

After waiting 1 hour for ambulance told to sit outside where everyone arriving for emergency.

After 1 hour again a fan was put on for me then told AFTER ANOTHER 45 MINS don't have corona in issan no worry go to Bangkok if you want a test.

We don't have here.

DONT HAVE HERE ? IN A Border town with hundreds of chinese passing through daily.

Gave me some pills for bronchitis.

The country is thick

When can I leaving not coming back what alternative is don't know but this place is a farce a pantomime.

you cant even send a story to the bangkok post or the nation. (if anyone does know how tell me)

people's lives are at risk because of their Mai Pen Rai attitude.

Love my wife & son but not Thailand anymore.

DON'T WANT US HERE

THEY JUST PROVED IT.

reply issan forum

Surely your not expecting 1st world service from a barley out of third world country? You should have researched better