Trump suspends all travel from Europe to the United States to fight coronavirus

webfact

2 minutes ago, candide said:

Which inaction? Obama started declaring a public health emergency and provide funding 3 months before the WHO declared a pandemic. Two days ago, Trump and all TVF Trumpers were downplaying the pandemic.

Yes, reasonable minds are not participating in the dempanic. Rationality prevails. And sadly, 12,000 Americans died on Obama's watch. So you'll be happy with Trump's leadership if we end up with less than 12,000 deaths, correct?

PS: Obama waited SEVEN MONTHS to declare a national emergency. But don't worry, plenty of comparisons as to how swine flu and coronavirus will be forthcoming as things unfold. I'm sure you're going to love it. Well, maybe not so much.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, candide said:

He started acting from the beginning and never tried to downplay it and never talked B.S. He declared a public health emergency on 27 April 2009. Below a link to an article from 27 April 2009. Then another link to an article explaining why your claim is fake news, as usual.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/world/27flu.html

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/04/facebook-posts/president-obama-declared-h1n1-public-health-emerge/

FACT: Obama did not declare a national emergency on April 27, 2009.

PS: 12,000 dead Americans think Obama's handling of swine flu SUCKED. So again, you'll be pleased with a lower body count from coronavirus, correct? Or maybe not so much... LOL

Oh and by the way, what good is declaring a national emergency if nothing substantive is done and 12,000 Americans end up dead anyway? What would YOU do if a virus was coming from Mexico and killing Americans? Think shutting the border might be a good idea? Or is 12,000 dead Americans OK with you instead?

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Thanks 1

You guys do realize that debating over the fact that Obama is better than Trump is akin to debating weather Rowdy Roddy Piper was better than Hollywood Hulk Hogan.  There are several things that will never change no matter who you vote in-  A. Money supply, federal reserve will be supplying your funny money with no objection from either Roddy or Hulk. B. Foreign policy, same wars on the same foreign continents with Roddy promising he will end Hulk's wars yet ends up continuing the old ones while starting new ones.  C. Social agenda, Roddy and Hulk will both give you gay marriage and transgender benders.  If you still think you have a choice who runs your country then you aren't paying attention.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BeltAndRoad said:

You guys do realize that debating over the fact that Obama is better than Trump is akin to debating weather Rowdy Roddy Piper was better than Hollywood Hulk Hogan.  There are several things that will never change no matter who you vote in-  A. Money supply, federal reserve will be supplying your funny money with no objection from either Roddy or Hulk. B. Foreign policy, same wars on the same foreign continents with Roddy promising he will end Hulk's wars yet ends up continuing the old ones while starting new ones.  C. Social agenda, Roddy and Hulk will both give you gay marriage and transgender benders.  If you still think you have a choice who runs your country then you aren't paying attention.

They'll print like it's the Weimar Republic - you can't eat money but you can a bag of rice. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Alex said:

Sir, I would like to encourage you to debate based on facts and reality, rather than childish lashing out at others. The facts are the facts. 12,000 Americans died from swine flu. Even worse, thousands could have likely been saved simply by restricting traffic from Mexico, from where the virus invaded. Please feel free to present an argument based on facts and reality.

Have a nice day!

What is your source for your speculative claim about saving thousands by restricting traffic from Mexico?

18,000 people died of flu this flu season.   https://www.foxnews.com/media/coronavirus-flu-deaths-media-democrats-president-trump

Do you blame Trump for that?

BTW:  A little math on these numbers:

" From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

will give you a mortality rate for swine flu of about 0.02%, or one fiftieth of the 1% rate estimated for Covid-19.  Clearly it was not the threat we now face.

Edited by heybruce

Europe has been too slow to take steps to combat Covid-19. Soon Germany, France, Spain and the rest of the EU will be overwhelmed like Italy. Waiting a week or two to see what happens is a recipe for disaster in the case of Covid-19. Not sure why Thailand appears to have escaped Covid-19, given the general incompetence of their response so far. Maybe they are hiding something or maybe the hot weather really does help and Thailand will be hit when the rainy season comes in June, time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Thank God we have a leader willing to make the tough calls. I wonder how many of the 12,000 Americans killed by the swine flu in 2009 and 2010 could have been saved if only Barack Obama hadn't waited so long before acting.

What leader would that be? Jack Ma is shaming our leader who seems to have an infinite capacity for shaming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-businessman-jack-ma-donate-185401518.html

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

He declared emergency two times, at different levels. He never downplayed risks and acted quickly, unlike Trump who has been talking B.S. for more than one month.

I will be pleased with the lowest possible count. Unfortunately, if one extrapolates the numbers we got from other countries, it may be worse than that. 

Anyway, but but Obama, as usual....

Trump and his faithful supporters failed to assess the true pandemic risk and have been downplaying it as recently as one or two days ago. Two days ago it was a Dem and MSM panic hoax, and now it is a national emergency. Lol! 

The good side of it is that Trump seems now to be willing to let competent people make decisions and not to meddle with it. Let's hope It's not just an impression.

I am still "downplaying", as there is plenty of dem-panic to go around. All one need do is have some common sense. If you're old, don't get on an airplane. Sad to say, some people need to be told to wash their hands.

Now with regards to "national emergency", how effective was a "national emergency" declaration that resulted in 12,000 dead Americans? And yes, comparisons will always be made. How else can one judge how well a person does without comparing to similar situations? But I get it. Comparing Obama's 12,000 dead Americans isn't pleasant, especially given the border could have simply been shut down. Fortunately, Trump restricted travel from from China early on. No telling how many lives were saved.

I predict that the political results of this will be yet another net loss for Democrats.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

What leader would that be? Jack Ma is shaming our leader who seems to have an infinite capacity for shaming.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chinese-businessman-jack-ma-donate-185401518.html

That's very nice of Jack Ma. I'm not sure why Trump should feel shame over this. Please explain why Trump should feel any shame, especially given he's donating $100,000 of his salary. How much have YOU donated?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

If only we had done the reverse in 2009, 12,000 Americans may not have had to die. But hey, good for Mexico. It's good to see a government doing what they need to do to protect their citizens. And it's great to see you open to the idea of closing borders for the good of one's country. This will definitely come in handy.

In fact, given WHO says Europe is the epicenter for coronavirus, I'm sure you've already made a post or two commending Trump for restricting travel from Europe, given your touting what the Mexicans are considering. Right? Or maybe not so much. LOL

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Alex said:

I am still "downplaying", as there is plenty of dem-panic to go around. All one need do is have some common sense. If you're old, don't get on an airplane. Sad to say, some people need to be told to wash their hands.

Now with regards to "national emergency", how effective was a "national emergency" declaration that resulted in 12,000 dead Americans? And yes, comparisons will always be made. How else can one judge how well a person does without comparing to similar situations? But I get it. Comparing Obama's 12,000 dead Americans isn't pleasant, especially given the border could have simply been shut down. Fortunately, Trump restricted travel from from China early on. No telling how many lives were saved.

I predict that the political results of this will be yet another net loss for Democrats.

Everyone notices that you ignored my post pointing out that regular flu deaths this season exceeded your 12,000 figure, challenged you to substantiate your claim that closing the border with Mexico would have saved thousands of lives, and further pointed out that swine flu was not only one fiftieth as lethal as Covid 19, but much less lethal than regular flu.

Give it a rest.  Your apples to oranges diversion isn't fooling anyone.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Testing would show where the disease is established, where it is spreading, and where it is not yet a problem.  Scarce resources and responses can be tailored with this information.  Testing has been a big part of the response of those countries--China and South Korea--that are getting the problem under control.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Im surprised you think I do. But im talking about 2 separate things mind you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

whats a kit gonna do when folks should take responsiblity for themselves and the communtiy by washing their hands, avoiding crowds, staying home if  theyare sick.

Someone starts feeling a fever? Stay Home. Call your doc. Wash your hands. You will get tested. But testing matters not if folks with filthy germ encrusted hands go out spewing on healthy folks. Nobody wants any germs, no matter what it is, and I would rather have the Chinese Flu than a dose of some Consumption.

21 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Im surprised you think I do. But im talking about 2 separate things mind you.

Since you started your post with "whats a kit gonna do" it certainly seemed like you didn't understand the importance of testing, or why it is a really big deal that there still aren't sufficient test kits available.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

You dont need a test kit to beat this thing. That was my point. Instead of gleefully jumping on any delay in anything in the hope it fullfills their dreams of a Trump free world, folks just ignore that it is all about personal responsibility.

It's also about the other person's responsibility.  You don't know if the people who prepare your food in a restaurant are responsible, will you give up eating out?  You don't know if the person who touched the door knob you use was responsible, will you stop opening doors?  You don't know if the person who handled your cash before you was responsible, will you refuse cash?

If I know I am in a virus epicenter I will give up the above and more; I will become a sanitation obsessed recluse.  However I don't want to give up on living to stay alive, so I will go about my life with reasonable, but not extreme, precautions until I have credible information that extreme measures are necessary.  We all need testing to know how we stand.

How about you?  Are you now living like a sanitation obsessed recluse?

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

This epidemic will end on one of two ways:  Sufficient measures will be taken to keep the disease at manageable levels, in which case people will complain that the measures were excessive because things never got really bad.  Or insufficient measures will be taken and we can all look forward to going to a lot of funerals in the months ahead.  In that case people will complain about the inadequacy of the measures taken.

I prefer the first outcome.  However Trump's erratic and irrational actions, along with his cuts in CDC manpower and budget prior to the pandemic, make the second outcome more likely.

No dude, you may say you prefer the first, but getting rid of evil Trump is a priority to you and others who  have been filling this Board with hate for the past 3 years. Keep formenting the panic, hope for some glitches somewhere and count the bodies till the election.

At least the Democratic candidates have had the decency not to fundraise off of this "crisis". Oh wait.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

President Trump is so bad...he addressed today and the Dow went up 2,000 points.

Such a terrible president ????

you're so right Dow is all that matters finally 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Opl said:

you're so right Dow is all that matters finally 

awww please be man enough to point out to our readers why

the Dow went up....because the markets have confidence in the measures 

he's taking to combat the virus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

You dont need a test kit to beat this thing. That was my point. Instead of gleefully jumping on any delay in anything in the hope it fullfills their dreams of a Trump free world, folks just ignore that it is all about personal responsibility.

If you are not willing to be tested to find out if you are spreading the virus its time you self isolated.

• Haha 2