How many expats in Th

finnsk

1 hour ago, Almer said:

Forget the Pattaya foodie groups in fact forget Pattaya which up to now looks after itself with tourist cash, but get into the real world and come visit Issan, little to no high tec but thousands of the poorest in Los with many families and businesses alike welcoming the falang money, so whilst it may be minuscule in the true sense to some it makes a huge difference, me, i have paid out many many times and pleased to do so to help my wife's family with things like, indoor toilets, building renovations and trying to motivate them to get out of the hole they find themselves in, yes it has cost some money but i am repaid over and over with there help and kindness  towards me, i welcome all the abuse and sarcasm from the many on here who only come to Los for the bar girls and beer

I only wrote about the foodie groups but living in Chiang Mai. My wife is from the Isaan but thankfully their parents are "rich" enough that I don´t have to support them. Also I have been in the Isaan many times and traveled ten thousands of kilometers through the country. I know that there are poor people. But the some thousands of expats they support them are a too small number to count. For individual families yes, but not for the masses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I am in Samui for height years full times and I never realised that, an Island! Thank you.

That's why I like ThaiVisa we learn something new every day.

Would you share some of the stuff you're smoking? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Too many ego expats expect their rearend kissed because they buy a beer at a bar and then complain about the price.  I see the people here sick of all of it.

The government will create reasons to say bye bye to most Falang expats.

1. Not me, I happily pay 75c for a beer in Phnom Penh, no drinking in Thai bars any more.

2. I thought they already had? ....... dirty white foreigners out!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You're just another paranoid whining poster who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. And you're not even living in Thailand.

It's hardly 'whining' telling the truth about the attitude of many Thais towards falangs in general. He knows exactly what he's talking about.

And you don't have to be 'living in Thailand' to get a grip of the situation.

They don't mind us holidaying in their resorts but when 200,000 of us as well as tens of thousands of long termers start putting down roots, buying fancy houses, cars and the prettier women and then flashing money about that's when the resentment sets in followed by the inevitable hatred.

We resent it in Falangland so why should the Thais be any different.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1. Not me, I happily pay 75c for a beer in Phnom Penh, no drinking in Thai bars any more.

2. I thought they already had? ....... dirty white foreigners out!

How is it? Missing Thailand a bit and the food? 

6 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

How is it? Missing Thailand a bit and the food? 

I hardly ever eat Thai food ........

I usually have English food (cooked at home by me in Thailand), Indian curry (Vietnam or Cambodia holiday), and Mexican or German food (Philippines holiday).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Would you share some of the stuff you're smoking? 

I smoke something that some would call irony and that I call humor, the funniest thing in this story is that it also sometimes makes smoke, it comes out of the nostrils of some who take everything seriously.????

Not too many I hope when I see that some peanut is asking 1.5 million Baht for a 2019 Harley Davidson softtail ????????‍♂️– it would want to be made of gold and kiss me <deleted> on the way home every night for that

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

An average tourist stays in Thailand about 2 weeks,not more. Every expat spends more every month just by living. On top of that they buy bikes,cars and stuff they need on a regular basis. I don't think you're staying in Thailand long term. You sound like a tourist to me. 

But a tourist who's not so wrong with his sight:

How-much-money-to-spend-in-Thailand.jpg

The linked numbers are roundabout the same I read a few month ago from another source which I can't find anymore.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hansnl said:

200,000 expats

50,000 Baht 

12 months

Investments in houses, cars, motorbikes PM.

Do your sums

Actually quite an impact on the local economy, don't you think?

As stated by the former governor of Khon Kaen province.

He also stated that ever "farang" expat brought 1.5 jobs.

Indeed, on the grand economic scale the expat share may not be huge, but it sure is on the local scale.

And that is, in my humble view, very important indeed.

i assumed the average spending of expats in thailand would be 80-100k baht a month....plus they also get many guests from abroad to be here on holiday and spend a lot.

One demographic not covered are the 'snowbirds' who just come for the winter. Many are just on tourist visas and exemptions.

As already said, the British Embassy say about 75,000 Brits (I think data from 2017) so 160,000 is a ridiculous underestimate for all farangs. Obviously impact in Bangkok and central Thailand is small, but more in the North. Udon Thani province has about 0,5% farang population, but the money they spend represents about 3% of GDP for the province. Not a lot, but more than a pimple......

The numbers are falling..... immigration rules, high baht, pollution, Brexit all have an effect. Coronavirus could cull those retired farang as well.

As for the avaricious Thai woman and suckers, I do know one woman who gets 50,000 a month from her English Partner, who works in UK and only visits one month a year. She blows it all on gambling and men. They do have a daughter. He believes all the excuses for where the money went.

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

An average tourist stays in Thailand about 2 weeks,not more. Every expat spends more every month just by living. On top of that they buy bikes,cars and stuff they need on a regular basis. I don't think you're staying in Thailand long term. You sound like a tourist to me. 

An average tourist spend 5,000 baht a day, that's probably more than the average expat; hard to believe that expats spend 150,000 baht a month in average...????

images.png.ea5e24795b9e860a43a11d6b75e6ccf1.png

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

An average tourist spend 5,000 baht a day, that's probably more than the average expat; hard to believe that expats spend 150,000 baht a month in average...????

images.png.ea5e24795b9e860a43a11d6b75e6ccf1.png

Resident Westerners don't all spend 150k baht a month on average every month, that's fantasy, some working expats on Western packages may but they are a small percentage. A few may be big spenders but the average is more likely to be somewhere around 65k or so, there have been surveys on TVF that confirm that is the case.

The issue is that whilst tourists may average around 5k per day they only do so for 14 days per year. Resident Westerners spend their 65/75k a month, every month of the year.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, Cake Monster said:

We are nowhere near the main income of Thailand.

Farang are a pimple on the A## of an Elephant in respect of income into the Thai Economy

Now that tourism is dead the pimple has grown much larger.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, saengd said:

Resident Westerners don't all spend 150k baht a month on average every month, that's fantasy, some working expats on Western packages may but they are a small percentage. A few may be big spenders but the average is more likely to be somewhere around 65k or so, there have been surveys on TVF that confirm that is the case.

The issue is that whilst tourists may average around 5k per day they only do so for 14 days per year. Resident Westerners spend their 65/75k a month, every month of the year.

Where are you getting this 65/75k a month? I know many resident farangs that are living on only about 30/35K a month. They are renting furnished apartments and condos for 2/3k a month and they are 5 minute walking to the local bars, major shopping complex, 3 minutes walk to the train station, 2 minutes walk to catch a bus which only costs them 10B. They do not spend money buying cars, bikes or anything like some people seem to think they do. If you look at the chart that was listed by JustAnotherHun you will see that 50% are spending 30k or under per month and it is 75% spending 50k or under per month. But I also know a few that are big noting themselves by sprouting about them spending 100K per month but they are very few and far between. On a personal basis I would be able to live comfortably on 30/35K a month if I was single and did not need the things for a married man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Where are you getting this 65/75k a month? I know many resident farangs that are living on only about 30/35K a month. They are renting furnished apartments and condos for 2/3k a month and they are 5 minute walking to the local bars, major shopping complex, 3 minutes walk to the train station, 2 minutes walk to catch a bus which only costs them 10B. They do not spend money buying cars, bikes or anything like some people seem to think they do. If you look at the chart that was listed by JustAnotherHun you will see that 50% are spending 30k or under per month and it is 75% spending 50k or under per month. But I also know a few that are big noting themselves by sprouting about them spending 100K per month but they are very few and far between. On a personal basis I would be able to live comfortably on 30/35K a month if I was single and did not need the things for a married man.

And many are living for more than 65k to 75k a month, rather up to 100k a month, which is around US$3000, in long term average exchange rate, so the average 65k a month figure – which is equivalent to the minimum for a retirement visa – seems to fit quite well; if nobody lived at a 40k, or less, budget a month, the average would most likely be higher.

I would think impression of expat's monthly spending depend of what circles you live, or mingle, in. Within some expat communities 65k baht a month would be in the lower end; not including those working in higher skilled jobs or are employed by multinational companies. When there were almost only retired Americans living in the affordable bungalow complex I had my rent, the low monthly income was $2,500 a month, and normal level $3,500, not including the millionaire yacht-owner that never talked about his monthly budget. That would be from 80k baht a month and up at that time's exchange rate. Me, the only European, was spending below their "normal level".

My post that @saengd replied to, was that tourists in average per day spend more than the average expat; i.e. from stats tourists spend average 5,000 baht a day, but in average I don't think expats spend 150,000 baht a month, taking into consideration that numerous seem to live on a budget more in the level around 40k baht a month...????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

And many are living for more than 65k to 75k a month, rather up to 100k a month, which is around US$3000, in long term average exchange rate, so the average 65k a month figure – which is equivalent to the minimum for a retirement visa – seems to fit quite well; if nobody lived at a 40k, or less, budget a month, the average would most likely be higher.

I would think impression of expat's monthly spending depend of what circles you live, or mingle, in. Within some expat communities 65k baht a month would be in the lower end; not including those working in higher skilled jobs or are employed by multinational companies. When there were almost only retired Americans living in the affordable bungalow complex I had my rent, the low monthly income was $2,500 a month, and normal level $3,500, not including the millionaire yacht-owner that never talked about his monthly budget. That would be from 80k baht a month and up at that time's exchange rate. Me, the only European, was spending below their "normal level".

My post that @saengd replied to, was that tourists in average per day spend more than the average expat; i.e. from stats tourists spend average 5,000 baht a day, but in average I don't think expats spend 150,000 baht a month, taking into consideration that numerous seem to live on a budget more in the level around 40k baht a month...????

It appears that what seems to fit and what actually fits are 2 different things. There are a lot of permanent expats that have had to use agents to get their extensions since the new financial requirements came in last year and the income letters were stopped by the UK, US and Australian Embassies that are in a panic because they cannot get the 65k for their next extension and they cannot get the bank statements for the seasoned money that they don't have and these people are living on the bare minimum of around the 35/40k per month. Plus there are many with the O-A visa that a lot of retirees have that they got in their home countries with the only financial requirements was that they had money to live on but that money was in their home country and not in Thailand and now with the health insurance requirement being placed on that visa and because it is a retirement visa there is a great difficulty for them to get the health insurance because of their age or because of previous medical problems so they are left with nothing and when they cannot get an extension for their O-A visa they will not be able to stay here but a few people carry on about everyone living on 65k a month, well those people live in a fantasy world and do not live in the real world that many of the expats live in here in Thailand. I personally know many of these expats that live in my area, so I do know a bit about what they have and what they are going through.

• Like 1