How many expats in Th

finnsk

I think most Thais only see foreigners as useful when they invest money in Thailand or e.g. come to save their children from caves.

But all that is quickly forgotten, until next time foreign help is needed.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

My understanding is that back in 2012/13 there was about 300K Expats in Thailand - not tourists - Expats working or living.

Since then I believe that it has reduced - both workers and long stayers.  No one really knows how many are workers and how many are living (retired, married etc.), but in CM in 2017 my wife was told by the Immi Officer that each year there was about 200K expat visa extensions in

I know compared to the whole Thai economy that amout is very small. But the thing is that much of that money Expats spend is done with the poor Thais - not on merecedes and other things - much of it in local villages/towns - and also the Thai girls.

That means a lot to the poor Thais - but overall in terms of the total economy is means very little. But that is the point - to many Thais who get that Expat money it means a lot - that 100 billion means a lot to the poor/average Thais.

Agree.

The impact to the Thai economy is small but to some parts of the country, espacially Isan,  it was quite big over the years.

BGs working in places like Pattaya were feeding their hole families, built homes and the little more wealth there was the start to improve the infrastructure in rural areas. Where people have some money in their pockets it's worth to build the firs family mart and on goes it.

So surely the generations of farang visitors and long stayers had an not to underestimate influence to Thailand. But I don't think Thailand has to be grateful for that. It was a give and take on both sides.

The answer would be in some Thai language Immigration document that may not be available to the public.   But if that 200.000 is correct that would make ex-pats pretty thin on the ground.  Which they are in this village!  About a moth ago I saw a white guy and a Thai girl bicycling on rural road 4026 just out of the village.  I was about to turn around and go back to show them the way back to the main highway when I realised one of the local slappers has scored!  Maybe it won't be long before the village has another farang dip <deleted> living here! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

"Your taxi driver is either full of you know what or he's carved himself a very small niche market that revolves around just foreigners"

Speaking for Samui for instance you are wrong because the taxis customers are foreigners, and foreigners and foreigners! Not even certain that Thai customers represent 10%

Samui is a different proposition, it's an island for gods sake!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

There are girls who do juggle sponsors, I was also told a story by a girl who juggled two. Her house of cards fell down when the two guys wanted to visit at the same time.

It's actually impossible for a girl to juggle two or three guys for very long, unless they're idiots. The tell tale sign is the girl disappearing for 3 weeks, with supposed illness or looking for a job. See they can't text someone non-stop if they are with another guy. A smart guy would figure that out.

You know some people believe what they want to believe,and if the small "JOE" is up the brain cells stop working

This was an earlier topic:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1114154-heres-the-numbers-of-expats-in-thailand/

The topic was based on this report of Nov 2018:

https://thailand.iom.int/sites/default/files/document/publications/Thailand Report 2019_22012019_HiRes.pdf

The total was noted as 200k but this missed those professionals/skilled workers on WP's (113k -pg 36 of the Report).  So, a total of approx 313k may be close to the mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:51 AM, finnsk said:

I am wondering how many farrang there is in Thailand.

I researched and wrote little about this in my native language. In English it would be...

The number of aliens (foreigners, not only white "farang" people) in Thailand are based on an estimate ranging from 500.000 to 1 million, not including migrant workers from neighboring countries.

Based on "Thailand Migration Report 2019" that use visas issued in 2017, there were 200.000 in total, with 77,000 due to family; 73,000 due to retirement; and 50,000 due to investment, without any further explanation. Ministry of labor recorded 113.000 highly skilled foreign workers, bringing the total up to 313,000.

A study by Mahodol University found in 2010 2,581,141 foreigners living in Thailand, of which 72%, or 1,858,000, came from Southeast Asia (often migrant workers). Among the remaining 720,000 so-called "expats" the largest group were Chinese with 141,000; 85,000 Brits; 80,000 Japanese; 46.000 Indians; 40,000 Americans; 24,000 Germans; and 23,000 French.

Bloomberg financial magazine reported that in 2018 there were issued 80,000 retirement visas, an increase of 30% compared to 2014. Largest group were Brits with 16%; followed by Americans with 12%; Germans 9%; Chinese 7%; and Swiss 6%.

In 2019 there were furthermore 8,602 Elite Card holders, majority of 1,747 from China; followed by 479 Brits; 443 Japanese, 387 from USA; and 348 French.

Reference sources can be found in my Danish language article here.

????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

And what exactly would be the difference between an island and places like Pattaya which are relying on foreign tourism?

Pattaya doesn't rely solely on foreign tourists, Bangkokians make up a large part of their tourist base, especially at weekends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

This was an earlier topic:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1114154-heres-the-numbers-of-expats-in-thailand/

The topic was based on this report of Nov 2018:

https://thailand.iom.int/sites/default/files/document/publications/Thailand Report 2019_22012019_HiRes.pdf

The total was noted as 200k but this missed those professionals/skilled workers on WP's (113k -pg 36 of the Report).  So, a total of approx 313k may be close to the mark.

Thanks for posting that, very useful indeed and will clear up many misconceptions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Samui is a different proposition, it's an island for gods sake!

I am in Samui for height years full times and I never realised that, an Island! Thank you.

That's why I like ThaiVisa we learn something new every day.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, CNXexpat said:

Around 200k and a large number of them are working for foreign companies, like banks, car makers, chemical companies, etc. They have a very little impact on the Thai economy. Especially many of the pensioners, what I can see in some Pattaya foodie groups, where they are discussing where to get the cheapest beers and English breakfasts. 

Forget the Pattaya foodie groups in fact forget Pattaya which up to now looks after itself with tourist cash, but get into the real world and come visit Issan, little to no high tec but thousands of the poorest in Los with many families and businesses alike welcoming the falang money, so whilst it may be minuscule in the true sense to some it makes a huge difference, me, i have paid out many many times and pleased to do so to help my wife's family with things like, indoor toilets, building renovations and trying to motivate them to get out of the hole they find themselves in, yes it has cost some money but i am repaid over and over with there help and kindness  towards me, i welcome all the abuse and sarcasm from the many on here who only come to Los for the bar girls and beer

On 3/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, Cake Monster said:

We are nowhere near the main income of Thailand.

Farang are a pimple on the A## of an Elephant in respect of income into the Thai Economy

Maybe you don't spend any money per year worth talking about. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

not long ago Thai immigration released the figure of 200,000 expats in Thailand. i think it was during the TM30 debacle.

anyway in sent "shockwaves" through this forum as everyone here was convinced there was about 1 million to 1.2 million expats.

i have my own theory about this subject of our effect on the economy which keeps popping up. 

your state of mind is a reflection of your environment.

if you live in a small village up north and spend 45,000 a month you will feel like you are spending huge amounts of money compared to the locals. But if you live in Bangkok and walk through the mall every day where they sell Aston Martins likes jeans, then even 150,000 a month will seem like nothing.

I live in Hua Hin near the beach and we have supercars parked in front of hotels here. seeing that keeps things in perspective.

have i changed many Thais lives for the better? Yes. That is how I think about it.

Good points - agree 100%.  And like you and many other Expats I like to think that I have done a bit for the lovely people of Thailand - the good local average poor Thai people I mean - and I intend to continue that until I die (and afterwards). 

And you have a very appropriate avatar - thought I would follow suit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

An average tourist stays in Thailand about 2 weeks,not more. Every expat spends more every month just by living. On top of that they buy bikes,cars and stuff they need on a regular basis. I don't think you're staying in Thailand long term. You sound like a tourist to me. 

Like I said I know some ex-pats that are not spending money on cars, bikes and that type of thing and they are only paying 2000 baht a month for an apartment. Your last statement shows how arrogant you really are because I have lived in Thailand for 10 years and happen to own a home and a business but I don't have the arrogant attitude like you that thinks that if all the farangs left Thailand that their economy would collapse. The only people it would hurt and affect is our local businesses and our families.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Good points - agree 100%.  And like you and many other Expats I like to think that I have done a bit for the lovely people of Thailand - the good local average poor Thai people I mean - and I intend to continue that until I die (and afterwards). 

And you have a very appropriate avatar - thought I would follow suit.

A retiree with 65k per month in pension earnd more than 88% of Thai households in 2019. On top of that, many of them have money in the bank, which is not very common for Thai households. I'm not talking about the top 5-10%. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1