How many expats in Th

finnsk

On 3/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Probably about 200,000 but that number is being reduced as we speak now that the BMW smart cars have been deployed.   

There are quite a number of overstayers in Thailand.

Maybe these are the ones that Anutin refer to as 'dress dirty'.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:59 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

Well, easy come easy go but not in each case.

It's not about having 8 customers a day. The brighter girls have their sponsors.

A couple of years ago I knew a girl who had three sponsors. Two of them from different european countries, one from Canada. Her income was more than 150k/month and that for years.

It was a bit stressy for her to avoid her sponsors coming at the same time but she got it done. When none of them was here she worked on short time basis to get some extra money. All she earned was invested to buy land up there in the djungle. She must own half of Isaan I guess ????

I wish I had a pound for every time I have heard that one. I would own half of England. 

• Thanks 2

Talking to my regular taxi driver he was telling me that if it wasn't for us expats he would be out of a job. The local bars and cafes round here also rely on expat trade as few tourist hotels in the area and the ones that are here only have chinese who don't patronise any of the local businesses.

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

like the sponsors are some kind of idiot. [/quote] Most of them are.

People who read that book Private Dancer like to tell this story too normally cos they read it in there. Another load of tripe.

I missed that book but I'll hurry to buy it to improve my knowledge of Thailand.

1 minute ago, rocketdave said:

Talking to my regular taxi driver he was telling me that if it wasn't for us expats he would be out of a job. The local bars and cafes round here also rely on expat trade as few tourist hotels in the area and the ones that are here only have chinese who don't patronise any of the local businesses.

Your taxi driver is either full of you know what or he's carved himself a very small niche market that revolves around just foreigners, I suspect the latter. He's probably operating in that market because he can charge higher prices and get better tips than if he worked normally as a taxi driver in the non-farang market. Too bad I say, if your business as a taxi driver was totally dependent on farangs and now it's gone away, that's your fault, time perhaps to do some real work for a change.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It was mandatory reading in the 1990's, there's more than a handful of farangs who have acquired all their knowledge about Thailand from that book and even today many of them spend hours impressing people in the bars of Pattaya with their knowledge, newbies are often impressed. People in the pubs back home are in awe of their experience, "is that really what happens" they ask, "well I never" they will say!

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Or they all tell the same story of how they juggle sponsors about on their visits like the sponsors are some kind of idiot. 

People who read that book Private Dancer like to tell this story too normally cos they read it in there. Another load of tripe. 

There are girls who do juggle sponsors, I was also told a story by a girl who juggled two. Her house of cards fell down when the two guys wanted to visit at the same time.

It's actually impossible for a girl to juggle two or three guys for very long, unless they're idiots. The tell tale sign is the girl disappearing for 3 weeks, with supposed illness or looking for a job. See they can't text someone non-stop if they are with another guy. A smart guy would figure that out.

1 minute ago, saengd said:

There's the rub. Smart guys don't live overseas whilst supporting a bar girl in Thailand.

Oh it doesn't have to be a bar girl, there are many girls who are serial dating professionals. They go on dating websites and will tell you how in love with you they are, after you visit them they will go on a fornication holiday with another guy for 3 weeks. No indication they are serial dating professionals. Until she disappears for 3 weeks, supposedly 'ill' or looking for a job in another city or some other excuse. And she doesn't text every day for 6 hours anymore. That is the moment you can be sure she is a dating professional currently with another client.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Oh it doesn't have to be a bar girl, there are many girls who are serial dating professionals. They go on dating websites and will tell you how in love with you they are, after you visit them they will go on a fornication holiday with another guy for 3 weeks. No indication they are serial dating professionals. Until she disappears for 3 weeks, supposedly 'ill' or looking for a job in another city or some other excuse. And she doesn't text every day for 6 hours anymore. That is the moment you can be sure she is a dating professional currently with another client.

You sound like you were sucked in. 
Anyone who would go along with someone feeding them that bs deserves all they get. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I’m not saying there are not girls who try and keep 2 guys going at the same time. What I am saying is these stories of girls having 3 sponsors who each send them around 50,000/month for a 1/2 times visit / year are in the main b.ollox. 

Since that tripe Private Dancer was published many moons ago the story became more widespread to the point where people now quote it regularly as if it’s real. 

In the main, yes it's probably not true. But it can and does happen, because some girls are very adept at manipulating men emotionally and making them believe they're in love. When a man is in love he will often spend his very last dime, as the song goes. 50,000 a month is probably excessive, but 17000 Baht, absolutely many 'boyfriends' will send that kind of 'allowance' to a woman they believe is only with them. The girls are very adept at playing the 'you need to take care of me' card.

A girl would have to be extremely lucky to get two guys willing to spend 50,000 a month. But 17000 is very possible. But in the long run, as they disappear for 3 weeks from the radar a guy will get wise to the fact he's serial dating client.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

In the main, yes it's probably not true. But it can and does happen, because some girls are very adept at manipulating men emotionally and making them believe they're in love. When a man is in love he will often spend his very last dime, as the song goes. 50,000 a month is probably excessive, but 17000 Baht, absolutely many 'boyfriends' will send that kind of 'allowance' to a woman they believe is only with them. The girls are very adept at playing the 'you need to take care of me' card.

A girl would have to be extremely lucky to get two guys willing to spend 50,000 a month. But 17000 is very possible. But in the long run, as they disappear for 3 weeks from the radar a guy will get wise to the fact he's serial dating client.

I would imagine a guy would soon get bored of sending 17,000 a month tbh. At current rate that’s over £400/month or about the same price as a return flight there from the UK. 

Now given the choice or taking care of her or going on holiday himself I think the novelty soon wears  off for the majority. 

But yes I have seen and met the odd mug who is a once a year visitor. One was a bus driver and because he was sending her money every month could only visit once a year. Bizarre. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

At the time, I was told the story by a girl, not some book, the 50k for a westerner were less than today. As I refused to believe the Canadian sent her 80k month by month she showed me the transfers. Compared to him the other two were a bit kiniow.

I met this lady for two or three years from time to time. We went out for diner - and yes, I payed the bill - and I was amazed by her sparkling conversation.

But now I guess my memories are wrong and I just repeat an urban legend ????

• Haha 1

For some older guys with money sending 17000, 50,000 or 80000 is a small price to pay 'for the love of their life'. They've hit the wall and want to settle down. They're looking for love. If the girl convinced them the love story is real, they'll do anything to keep her. Sometimes until bankruptcy.

The unlikely part is that this goes on for more than a few years with a girl who juggles two or three guys. Because she will go on 3 week holidays with both guys at some point she HAS to disappear for weeks on end. As soon as man sees that he should become aware that she is with another guy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kelsall said:

Back in the days of Internet cafes I saw a couple in Udon running three guys apiece at one time.  Each guy was in a separate chat window and the girls would go from one to the other, getting money to travel to Europe, getting money here in Thailand for mother's operation, etc.

Another time I was in Pattaya with a girl who had turned off her phone at my insistence.  Mid-action another phone rang and she answered it with "No, I love you.  No, I am alone" and all that.  Turned out she had two (or more phones) and would always quickly answer the one from the most generous ATM in Europe.

an internet shop near my place in bangkok used to have girls sitting with their english speaking friends 'working' the foreign guys, it was amusing to watch. in those days girls would often forget/not know how to log off and when you opened a browser the hotmail session would still be live, you could see the messenger/email exchanges. quite an eye opener.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Back in the days of Internet cafes I saw a couple in Udon running three guys apiece at one time.  Each guy was in a separate chat window and the girls would go from one to the other, getting money to travel to Europe, getting money here in Thailand for mother's operation, etc.

Another time I was in Pattaya with a girl who had turned off her phone at my insistence.  Mid-action another phone rang and she answered it with "No, I love you.  No, I am alone" and all that.  Turned out she had two (or more) phones and would always quickly answer the one from the generous ATM in Europe.

I once knew a girl who got a mobile phone from every guy she was with. She had so many phones she supplied her entire extended family, mother, brother, sister, with mobile phones. She'd keep the best one, and give them the others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Your taxi driver is either full of you know what or he's carved himself a very small niche market that revolves around just foreigners, I suspect the latter. He's probably operating in that market because he can charge higher prices and get better tips than if he worked normally as a taxi driver in the non-farang market. Too bad I say, if your business as a taxi driver was totally dependent on farangs and now it's gone away, that's your fault, time perhaps to do some real work for a change.

"Your taxi driver is either full of you know what or he's carved himself a very small niche market that revolves around just foreigners"

Speaking for Samui for instance you are wrong because the taxis customers are foreigners, and foreigners and foreigners! Not even certain that Thai customers represent 10%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1