Covid-19: Thousands of people laid off, millions lost in revenue as elephant businesses close in Chiang Mai

webfact

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i would take one of those elephants to my house and it could live in my yard. plenty to eat.

but i am sure there is some law that says you can only torture elephants.  

Plenty of elephant krap for the rhubarb then.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

what choice is there? Adopt an elephant. Call the WWF and Greta Toonloony!

By contrast, I've just had some great financial news.

The baby elephant I was sponsoring in Africa has been eaten by a lion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

No tourists = no money = no food or medical care for elephants. Doubt the elephants will be pleased with that. Another eggs-basket failure. 

Do you really believe that the elephants received proper veterinary care?  The food supplied was marginal at some of the parks. The elephants might be better off if allowed to return to national parks to forage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Do you really believe that the elephants received proper veterinary care?  The food supplied was marginal at some of the parks. The elephants might be better off if allowed to return to national parks to forage.

On one hand I agree, but they have become so acclimatised towards dependency on humans, will they survive, or will they go into villages and cause chaos?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

On one hand I agree, but they have become so acclimatised towards dependency on humans, will they survive, or will they go into villages and cause chaos?

They wont survive in the wild.

1 hour ago, Forza2002 said:

There is going to even fewer tourists thanks to Health Minister Anutin's latest xenophobic rant on twitter...

as well as the fact the practices at the "reserves" and camps, are not acceptable to many tourists, who choose not to go to them

On 3/12/2020 at 11:59 AM, webfact said:

One thousand elephants are idle. 

I hope the elephants enjoy their "downtime" ????

Hopefully they regain their work ethic without needing retraining, they may even be considered suitable candidates for a career change?

hungry monkeys go runing wild in lopburi

Just when it seemed like the world couldn’t resemble the opening scenes of an apocalyptic horror film any more, it appears the coronavirus has sparked gang warfare between monkeys on the streets of Thailand.

For understandable reasons, the pandemic has led to a decline in tourism around the globe. The Lopburi monkey population is usually split in two with one group residing in the city while the other patrols the area around the temple. Many of the monkeys rely on food from tourists but these are desperate times and tourists are few and far between. Because lots of people have isolated themselves and are working from home, there's also very few cars on the streets, so the monkeys are more free than ever to roam the streets.

The extraordinary fighting scenes were captured on video when one monkey found a single banana and hundreds of others swarmed in. This sparked the kind of mass brawl that used to be synonymous with warring fans at any major sporting tournament.

Eyewitness Sasaluk Rattanachai, who captured the footage, said:

They looked more like wild dogs than monkeys. They went crazy for the single piece of food. I’ve never seen them so aggressive.

image.png.e8ce3538148d7e8142c828fdd5e75e13.png

On 3/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, Captain_Bob said:

No tourists = no money = no food or medical care for elephants. Doubt the elephants will be pleased with that. Another eggs-basket failure. 

This not only applies to the elephant the people unemployed as well , not a good look.