DSI urged to investigate crane game cabinets as 'they promote gambling'

rooster59

DSI urged to investigate crane game cabinets as 'they promote gambling'

By THE NATION

800_9ecbbcd10f83666.jpg

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has received a petition from some non-governmental organisations to investigate the crane game business, as they believed it promoted gambling among youths.

Natthaphong Samphaokaew, representative of New Generation Anti-Gambling Network, and Wanchai Poonchuay, representative of Lawyers for Children and Adolescents Network, along with students from over 30 institutes on Friday (March 13) submitted a letter addressed to DSI director-general Pol Colonel Paisit Wongmuang.

“We surveyed 92 malls in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakarn, Lampang, Nan, Phayao, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Saraburi and Phatthalung provinces and found 1,511 crane game cabinets,” said Natthaphong. “In Bangkok alone, there are 1,077 cabinets. These cabinets have no licences and no age restriction for users.”

He further added that the Ministry of Commerce has prohibited the import of crane game cabinets, while the Gambling Act BE 2478 also prohibited officials from issuing licences for import and installation of crane game cabinets nationwide.

“The fact that these cabinets are still here could mean there’s a violation of these laws, as well as the Customs Act and Anti-Money Laundering Act,” he said.

“We would like the DSI to investigate the legitimacy of these crane game cabinets and see if they are connected to the misconduct of government officials,” said Natthaphong.

Meanwhile, Pol Captain Piya Raksakul, the DSI official who accepted the letter, said that he would look into the matter in detail. “So far no one has brought this matter to the DSI’s attention,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384067

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-14

44 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

You can see how many youngsters are "gambling" on the machines pictured above!! For goodness sake, and how many youngsters by lottery tickets, either official ones or underground ones?  But of course, the lottery isn't gambling is it!

As a matter of interest, has any one seen a breakdown of what the millions, possibly billions, of baht generated for the government by the National Lottery, is spent on.  How much of it goes to worthy or charitable causes I wonder?  Perhaps some of it could be used to help the poor unfortunate youngsters who are addicted to the grabbing machines!

I recall many years ago when Aphisit thought he was in charge, he made the claim to ban electronic lottery machines because such machines would throw all the blind lottery ticket sellers out of work. Well congratulations Mark, yesterday I actually saw my first blind ticket seller where Sukhumvit becomes Ploenchit. You wise old sonofagun, Mark. Looking out for the sightless!!

Of course later we learned that the national distributor of lottery tickets was a huge donor to the Democratic (sic) party.....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, thequietman said:

True, but the gov. are not earning from these machines, hence the interest.

Everything here boils down to money.

Incidently, if you put face masks in one of these machines, you would make a fortune. ????

bet  if  u  sold concrete  blocks  next  to  them  youd  make  more

• Haha 1

I really dont know what the DSI does. My partner was caught in a Thai scam on FOREX trading. DSI took the investigation on, they recovered some easy assets; no idea who gets them. Partner had a 1 hour interview with DSI on Xmas eve last year. Since then nothing communicated to her.PATHETIC!

At the same time there are computer shops all over Thailand with young children, and adolescents, addicted to the video games. Nothing is done because......well, probably down to who owns the computer shops.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it's not that; nothing is done because nothing can be done about children's legal pastimes.

So you agree that nothing should be done about potentially harmful video games and condone the banning of "crane game cabinets"?

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, thequietman said:

True, but the gov. are not earning from these machines, hence the interest.

Everything here boils down to money.

Incidently, if you put face masks in one of these machines, you would make a fortune. ????

Nope face masks not bulky/heavy enough to slip from the grab ???? you would lose money at 10 baht a pop

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it's not that; nothing is done because nothing can be done about children's legal pastimes.

Only quoting half a post removes the context of that post. Yes, it is legal to a point, but children are addicted. Yes, something can be done about it by limiting the time allowed to log in. Maybe offer alternatives within the community funded by the local government. I agree there will always be ways around it, but any effort would be a start, surely.

• Confused 1

Envisioning the response when masks and hand sanitizer are the "prizes".

We do need a "mask" investigation every few hours to maintain the "illusion" that the "authorities" are capable.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sapson said:

Strange they are concerned by these machines, yet their are highly visible betting offices of some kind in every other street although gambling is illegal.

Betting offices in every other street, where?  There are no "betting offices" in Thailand except at legal racecourses.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Betting offices in every other street, where?  There are no "betting offices" in Thailand except at legal racecourses.

You cannot be serious lol do you want photos.......maybe i am mistaken and wrongly informed by my Thai friend and they are just solicitors or money lending shops but without any signage.

Of course their arent knocking shops every couple of kms in Thailand either.

But a 12yo can ride a motorbike with no muffler and wearing no helmet at flat out speed and be totally ignored by a cop standing in the street. I witnessed exactly this in Ao Nang yesterday, the cop was not busy he could easily have waved the kid down... seriously <deleted>!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CGW said:
18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So you agree that nothing should be done about potentially harmful video games and condone the banning of "crane game cabinets"?

Edited 10 hours ago by CGW

"So you agree that nothing should be done about potentially harmful video games..."

Did I say that?  No, I didn't.

"...and condone the banning of "crane game cabinets"?"

I absolutely condone the ban, they're a scam.  If you don't agree, perhaps you could point out a benefit of the machines or throw some light on their good side?

Biggest gamble here is still the roads. Last night came round a sleepy corner on a quiet road near our house, hardly any traffic night time- looked like a movie set in the middle of nowhere ambulances, lights, cops everywhere- 5 car pile up probably one overtaking another on the bend thinking nothing will be coming then others piling in, just missed it.