Thailand reports seven new coronavirus cases, bringing total to 82

rooster59

Sorry if this has already been asked before, I haven't read all previous posts.

I returned to the UK 2 weeks ago. As I write this the latest news is that the UK has 1,140 confirmed cases of Covid19 with 37,746 people tested.

It is accepted here that the real number may be at least 10 times more.

In Thailand the reported cases are only 82! We accept that The Thai number is just made-up, and even if it was a scientifically calculated amount, there might be at least 10 times that number over there also.

Has anybody on here seen any sign of the virus yet? That is know of somebody who has it, or has been to a hospital for another reason but seen evidence of people with the virus there?

Just wondering if any change since I left there. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, samsingsong said:

In Thailand the reported cases are only 82! We accept that The Thai number is just made-up, and even if it was a scientifically calculated amount, there might be at least 10 times that number over there also.

Has anybody on here seen any sign of the virus yet? That is know of somebody who has it, or has been to a hospital for another reason but seen evidence of people with the virus there?

“It is accepted here” - by who 

“We accept the Thai number is made up “ - who’s ‘we’ ? 

“There might be 10 times more” - there might be 3 times more, might be 400 times more - why 10 ? 

There are no reported cases in Guatemala - is that made up ? or do you have a figure in mind ? 

I don’t know anyone with it and don’t know anyone that knows anyone with it do 82 might be right 

Apart from that excellent based on absolutely nothing post ????

1 minute ago, Bruntoid said:

The 10 did not all die today. 

Yes they did; 'ten more people in the UK have died in the last 24 hours after testing positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of deaths to 21. The UK government's chief medical adviser said the patients were all in "at-risk" groups from across England.'

They were at risk but why should that matter? At risk people have been dying the world over from this, 10 in a single day is a sharp increase as are the cases today. In 2 weeks from now if no action is taken, then it is reasonable to think the UK will be gaining 1,000 plus cases a day easily  

12 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Because although Singapore is ruled by an autocratic government, they are still humane enough to want to protect their own citizens.

also...an election is on the cards and if they don't win by a 70% majority again....loss of face.

21 hours ago, Timwin said:

Coronavirus does not survive nowhere nearly as well in hot and humid 30 C than in below 10 C, the optimum. That is why we are not seeing Thailand becoming a new Italy or any tropical countries suffering a major epidemic. There will be cases but not in huge numbers. Community spreading is much more difficult here due to climate. 

Possibly, but not the only reason. I would not take as gospel any figures reported by a government that has its mind firmly on maintaining face and keeping loss of revenue through tourism to a minimum.  

1 hour ago, cubism001 said:

My friend from L.A. who was wise enough to return to C Mai 3 weeks ago said it was quieter, he found a good place to live & was jet-lagged but happy.  He's 75 btw w/ asthma.

Chiang Mai is one of the worst choices in the world for an asthmatic right now. 412 aqi at lunchtime today. 

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

The problem with panic buying is that if enough are and you don't you're left with nothing. 

true, at least for a while, but panic buying is irresponsible, it leaves vulnerable people without essentials. Apart from food and water you don't need much, at the moment its hard to buy loo rolls in my local supermarket, what the hell loo rolls have to do with the coronavirus is anyones guess. At the end of the day I will look back and laugh at the idiots with a years supply of loo rolls stocked in the garage.

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

“It is accepted here” - by who 

“We accept the Thai number is made up “ - who’s ‘we’ ? 

“There might be 10 times more” - there might be 3 times more, might be 400 times more - why 10 ? 

There are no reported cases in Guatemala - is that made up ? or do you have a figure in mind ? 

I don’t know anyone with it and don’t know anyone that knows anyone with it do 82 might be right 

Apart from that excellent based on absolutely nothing post ????

Accepted by anyone that knows how the Thai government behave with statistics.

10 times more was an example, pick your own number if it makes you feel better, nobody really knows the number.

Guatemala does not have millions of Chinese tourists every year. 

you might not know anyone who has it but what does that prove ? there are over 65 million in the country. If 100,000 were infected you still might not know anyone. 

Not very sensible and completely pointless comeback, I get the point that the poster was making.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsingsong said:

Sorry if this has already been asked before, I haven't read all previous posts.

I returned to the UK 2 weeks ago. As I write this the latest news is that the UK has 1,140 confirmed cases of Covid19 with 37,746 people tested.

you are right, the Prime Minister has already quoted on TV that the number is likely to rise way above where it is today because of the long incubation period of the virus. I personally dont believe a word from Thailand, they are not exactly known for clear and transparent reporting on state matters.

It is the hot and humid that protects tropical countries from Coronavirus epidemic. Otherwise, scores of Thai doctors and nurses would have already spoken out one way or another. It would be all over Facebook or Twitter. Thais love to gossip and nothing stays secret for long!

39 minutes ago, Timwin said:

It is the hot and humid that protects tropical countries from Coronavirus epidemic. Otherwise, scores of Thai doctors and nurses would have already spoken out one way or another. It would be all over Facebook or Twitter. Thais love to gossip and nothing stays secret for long!

Have you ever been to a Thai hospital??

They are rammed to the rafters all the time with people who look on death's door. Coughing and spluttering 

Also if you walk through the wards you will see a lot of people are on oxygen

If you don't test then you don't know and Thailand has draconian computer laws that will stop doctors/nurses opining on FB.

I have seen a lot on twitter as it's more anonymous

Hundreds of people sick or dead from 'pneumonia' . They don't get tested after they die either, just burnt quickly.

Please stop with all this tropical heat kills the virus. It might have a small effect but if you keep reiterating it, people will believe it and fall back into old habits. 

There is also a very high % of Thai life that exists in air conditioned buildings too, remember that.

Thousands and thousands of shops/office/malls & condos that are sub 25 degrees.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

They are in Thai, and it's against forum rules to post from twitter or in a foreign language.

It is known fact coronavirus family is highly sensitive to temperature and humidity. Also what I found from Twitter:

"There is info coming directly from frogs who know doctors in good Bangkok hospitals; there hasn't been uptick."

17 minutes ago, Timwin said:

It is known fact coronavirus family is highly sensitive to temperature and humidity. Also what I found from Twitter:

"There is info coming directly from frogs who know doctors in good Bangkok hospitals; there hasn't been uptick."

It was winter in Thailand when this started so that blows that out of the window.

It was cool for December, Jan and Feb. 

It has only just started to get hot in the last week or so.

You never hear doctors or nurses say much about the road carnage either so they are not necessarily the best source of info

6 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

It was winter in Thailand when this started so that blows that out of the window.

It was cool for December, Jan and Feb. 

It has only just started to get hot in the last week or so.

You never hear doctors or nurses say much about the road carnage either so they are not necessarily the best source of info

It was still 20-25 C in late-Jan-February when this started and that is plenty enough. A Coronavirus lives 30 times longer in 6 C than in 20 C.

Fever is common in Thailand over 100 deaths from Dengue last year, people get sick they go to a local doctor, they do not seek detailed explanation only assistance to cure. Differing outlook altogether and thus never even registering on any list

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Covid19 is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS.

There are reports of a kid getting it from a autographed photo of a athlete who tested positive.

All the politicians who acted like nothing was wrong or met unknowingly with Covid19 positive people are all dropping like flies now all over the world.

Seattle hospitals saying they are one day away from becoming Italy. Totally overwhelmed.

those of you who are still out in the bars with another person sitting right next to you are helping spread this <deleted>.

Traveling right now unnecessary should be a criminal offense. 

i could not imagine being in Crazy House Bangkok during this time. the number of south Koreans, Japanese, AU, UK, EU, USA types in there is off the scale.         

I posted here 1 month ago that all international travel should be stopped .      Governments of the world , especially the UK , are slow to act ,  reactive not proactive .  UK government coming under a lot of criticism from scientists who say the UK plan will cost many  unnecessary deaths . Based on 60% of the population surviving the virus and becoming immune with no scientific proof that immunity will happen . 

Dengue Fever or convi19?

Singapore Study Shows That Covid-19 Patients Could Be Misdiagnosed For Dengue Due To False Positive In Dengue Serological Tests
 Coronavirus Diagnostics: Typically, clinical and laboratory features of both Dengue and the Covid-19 disease are quietly identical and difficult to distinguish.  More than 20,000 people in Thailand have had dengue fever so far this year and 25 have died from the disease.

This is a doubling of dengue fever cases compared to the same period last year, according to Khaosod.

• Like 1

Posts containing content copy and pasted from other sites have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai TV news today, and last night, was full of reports about a certain well-known Thai leuk kreung actor who has publicly posted that he's CV positive, and apparently had quite an extended network of personal contacts. Not clear or not whether his case has been confirmed by the government or not.

But yesterday, in the news, some Thai public health official was talking about threatening the guy with a prosecution under the Computer Crimes Act for posting content online that could create public panic, harm to the country, etc etc...  What a bunch of <deleted>!!!!

Well that sounds EXACTLY like the early Chines Gov response to Wuhan breakout. The attitude that caused it to explode works wide.

Don’t these ministerial sorts learn from those around them? There are far, far worse things than the country losing face or tourists

Government numpties at work.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, superal said:

I posted here 1 month ago that all international travel should be stopped .      Governments of the world , especially the UK , are slow to act ,  reactive not proactive .  UK government coming under a lot of criticism from scientists who say the UK plan will cost many  unnecessary deaths . Based on 60% of the population surviving the virus and becoming immune with no scientific proof that immunity will happen . 

You seem to know more than the experts, there are different timings and views what to do. Clearly shutting things down too early or too late isn't the right thing to do

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You seem to know more than the experts, there are different timings and views what to do. Clearly shutting things down too early or too late isn't the right thing to do

Common sense really and my opinion has proved to be right . How else can the virus be contained without confinement . The UK strategy has come under major criticism from micro biologists and scientists because of the lack of stricter containment . Like it or not , China has imposed such laws that have had a positive beneficial outcome .  

I feel that economies have been at the forefront of some countries actions .

43 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Just for the unofficial record, I went to a hospital and they denied testing for Covid because I didn't have a fever even though I was sneezing and had a cough. Way under reported in thailand. I'll probably be silenced soon.

Where was this?