COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

18 minutes ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

My wife went to the clinic yesterday for the last time to have her wound from a nail hole cleaned.

The doctor asked her again if I was coming back from America soon my wife told her in a few months.

The doctor said good to wait for awhile since COVID-19 is all over Thailand.

Am I to believe the doctor or this government that puts Money ahead of its own people.

Anyone can see how the numbers are exploding in each country, but not in Thailand?

I'd have a serious word with your wife if I were you. Heard these stories before. Any excuse so you don't come back to Thailand just yet. Hmmm

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't. When have I said that I do?

To be honest I haven't read your reasonings but it makes no difference. You don't need to be a scientist to know that not only is Thailand under-reporting known cases - they really don't know how many cases there are.

They failed to restrict travellers from China until very recently. Members here have been turned away from hospitals and told there is no virus in that area. The usual methods of denial that anything bad can come from Thailand - that's enough for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

To be honest I haven't read your reasonings but it makes no difference. You don't need to be a scientist to know that not only is Thailand under-reporting known cases - they really don't know how many cases there are.

They failed to restrict travellers from China until very recently. Members here have been turned away from hospitals and told there is no virus in that area. The usual methods of denial that anything bad can come from Thailand - that's enough for me.

There is good evidence without taking the governments word for it that there is no widespread Covid-19 epidemic in Thailand.

But then again as you haven't read anything I've written you wouldn't know that, would you?

9 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Nobody is 'under reporting' cases, they just haven't identified more. There's a difference. No country knows how many cases it has, UK or USA included.

However, the UK is honest enough to say 'we think it's ten to twenty times the identified cases'.

So apply that ratio to Thailand. It most likely has 820-1640 cases. So it is still a lot better of than the UK or US. For now. Of course it could be it will come later. Nobody knows.

Edited by Logosone

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Nobody is 'under reporting' cases, they just haven't identified more. There's a difference. No country knows how many cases it has, UK or USA included.

However, the UK is honest enough to say 'we think it's ten to twenty times the identified cases'.

So apply that ration to Thailand. 

OK. So that's 82x10=820. Still less than the reported number in the UK and not enough to class it as an epidemic.

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

There is good evidence without taking the governments word for it that there is no widespread Covid-19 epidemic in Thailand.

Chinese vistors have been welcome in Thailand until recently - the first known cases in the UK were Chinese. 5 people in the UK developed Corona Virus shortly after visiting Thailand - how many returned to other countries and the same happened? Suvarnabhumi is a major Asian transit hub. People have been refused tests. How much more do you need?

Frankly I'm amazed that anyone can believe that Thailand only has 82 cases but up to you. I know what I think.

• Like 1

Just now, KhaoYai said:

Chinese vistors have been welcome in Thailand until recently - the first known cases in the UK were Chinese. 5 people in the UK developed Corona Virus shortly after visiting Thailand - how many returned to other countries and the same happened? Suvarnabhumi is a major Asian transit hub. People have been refused tests. How much more do you need?

Frankly I'm amazed that anyone can believe that Thailand only has 82 cases but up to you. I know what I think.

Well some evidence. You haven't given any yet.

3 hours ago, sezze said:

We have soft lockdown , since last night , announced thursday night . The soft lockdown meaning :

- schools will be open for children who's parents cannot take care . They do not want the children staying with grandparents . All lessons are scrapped .

- All non food or non pharmacy are closed on saturday and sunday . Food/pharmacy can stay open weekend . Weekdays all shops can open .

- All bars/ restaurants / sportclubs / theaters .... are closed , all days . Restaurants are switching to take away foods , since take away is allowed .

Everything is to prevent groups of people together where it spreads easily .

I am still in Belgium , supposed to come Thailand on friday 20th . I am still ok to come , but i think that will be over in the next 2 days ( Netherlands made it to the list ) .

In case i can go ... medical certificate ... now where the *** am i going to have that 1 ? Hospitals are all public over here . Tests Covid are only done in 1 or 2 centers , results for it take now almost 24h . They are only done if you got high chance of having it ( meaning multiple conditions ) . Checking a temperature is prob not enough is it ? ( i checked the form stated in CAAT website ) .

Insurance : i do have insurance , well over the nrs needed ( 1 mill euro ) . But how i gonna proof to them that i got it ? Official papers getting done within a 2/3 days , not a chance .

At the moment we are not on the list , but Netherlands made it , so i think Belgium gonna be there in 1/2 max 3 days . I expect the whole of Europe going to be in the same system this week .

I didn't think you needed a medical certificate if you are coming from the Netherlands.

8 hours ago, nightfox said:

Is Thailand just waiting to become the next Italy and south Korea???.....This is one ticking time bomb. But in typical Thai action they will wait until the death toll climbs significantly here and there is thousands of infections before they will decide to suspend all flights all bar all entries from Europe and USA. Its about time for once for Thailand put their people first ahead of the Bhat....But we all know that it wont happen

You are too late... the virus was spread all across Tland from Chinese visitors since December.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Travellers must record their own symptoms in the reporting system

How to record?  Some app for a smartphone?  I have no smart phone.  Bring no internet type device with me as I rarely need it while on vacation.

47 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Have a good read of this thread. It just ain't happening. No evidence of an epidemic in Thailand. Absolutely none. Sorry to disappoint you.

I am with you on this, I said the same thing a few days ago in another thread and was shot down in Flames!

Off course the situation could change but to date? surely the hospitals would be inundated by now and we would all know someone who is inflicted!

How much time before the eternal pessimists agree, see the light or :shock1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

So apply that ratio to Thailand. It most likely has 820-1640 cases. So it is still a lot better of than the UK or US. For now. Of course it could be it will come later. Nobody knows.

The UK has done a lot more testing than Thailand has. Thailand doesn't have a huge problem obviously, but there are more hospitalised cases than are reported here I feel. 

Edited by Mung
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As usual - clear as mud and possibly a bad translation.  Reading that it appears that the traveller must be suspected of having the virus already to be subjected to these measures.

I guess the only way we'll get to know exactly what the situation is, is when people report their experiences on arrival.

The airline should know surely?

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

People will just stop coming and the economy will hit a new rock bottom so maybe all countries should close their borders except for there own citizens returning home .

That seems to be the trend, but Thailand thinks it's special by still allowing foreigners from affected countries in, just that they have to jump through some "hoops" first. One would have to be desperate to do so, when countries from Singapore to India and Vietnam, have now banned arrivals from some European countries altogether, and in Singapore's case that even includes transit passengers.

• Haha 1