COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

I can bet these people will just ignore the quarantine just like they didn't want to take the masks from Anutin.

They came to Thailand to enjoy life and not be cooped up in a small hotel room for 14 days. LOL.

You clearly didn't read the article. It said nothing about quarantine, it said 'self-monitoring'. Big difference. And it doesn't seem to be the least bit onerous and makes sense, as long as people actually follow it. This is not a normal situation; it is critically unique. Doing everything possible to protect people, even from themselves, doesn't deserve scorn. Assuming that for once the Thai government is actually giving anything close to the real numbers, it is astonishing that there are so few cases here. I personally find it very hard to believe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That is certainly the intent but how imm officers will interprwt/apply it may be a whole other matter.

It is time consuming and difficult to figure out what countries someone has recently been in especially if their passport is full of stamps.

As a short cut IOs are likely to look at boarding pass point of origin and passport nationality. So might at least have some hassle/questioning to enter a country if holding a passpirt from a banned or restricted nation.

Don’t forget Hong Kong and Japan DO NOT use stamps for entering and exiting anymore. I was in both places a week ago. Just the small piece of throwaway paper.  I actually thought this was a strange thing to do and wonder because of the virus if this practice will continue. Can ANY immigration officer in ANY country get your recent travel history from their computer?  I think not but not sure. 

Edited by alex8912

So it means that people can still sit on a plane for number of hours and eventually unknowingly infect others on board .. Humans are the carriers helped by the airlines. One day a country is clear, the next some passenger disembarks from a plane and bingo.. first hit ! 

Requesting visas from China and other Asian countries and yet none from Europe is absurd. 

Tomorrow will be another day

30 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

The headlines are misleading; they say "all arrivals" but the body of the article says "all visitors" https://www.smh.com.au/national/pm-introduces-strict-travel-restrictions-for-all-arrivals-20200315-p54a8q.html

Other articles say it's "all arrivals", nothing about "all visitors" - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-covid19-self-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772

In the video embedded in https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-covid19-self-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772 the PM says specifically the new 14 days self-isolate rule applies to all arrivals including all Australians.  

16 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

The evidence is stacking up that SE Asia, for various reasons that I've already stated, provides a very poor medium for spreading Covid-19. Also, where are the victims? Very few reports on social media or from around the plot on TV. There just aren't any in the numbers expected.

On a personal anecdote, I spent a few days in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital earlier this week. The place was a desert, virtually empty, both in ER and on the wards. They were virtually begging for punters. I half expected them to put a few nurses out front in cut down uniforms, shouting, "Welcome handsome man" at passers by.

I was one of the first on TV to shout "cover up" to the Thai government when all this started. Now, I'm pretty sure I was wrong. Thailand isn't a hotbed of Covid-19, it's a sanctuary from it.

look at the countries where the virus has blossomed, they are colder wetter climates.  China, Italy, Japan, NW U.S.  this seems to be a factor in the propagation of the disease. 

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

I can bet these people will just ignore the quarantine just like they didn't want to take the masks from Anutin.

They came to Thailand to enjoy life and not be cooped up in a small hotel room for 14 days. LOL.

What is more practical is to force them to apply for a tourist visa with medical cert. No more visa exempt until the pandemic is gone.

It seems you didn't understand what you read. They have to report continuesly for 14 days. No way out of that. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In the video embedded in https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-covid19-self-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772 the PM says specifically the new 14 days self-isolate rule applies to all arrivals including all Australians.  

There is nothing about self-isolation. The word is self-monitoring. They can go where ever they want but they have report where they're going. Read the official info from Thai government,not from ABC in Australia.

Edited by Max69xl
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Ddbanksy said:

Thanks for your advice,I'll show this to BKK Immigration if i get any <deleted> on my return 555

After they stop scratching their heads you could always show them the official lists, neither of which Taiwan is on: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php (scroll down for the lists the restrictions apply to).

25 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Don’t forget Hong Kong and Japan DO NOT use stamps for entering and exiting anymore. I was in both places a week ago. Just the small piece of throwaway paper.  I actually thought this was a strange thing to do and wonder because of the virus if this practice will continue. Can ANY immigration officer in ANY country get your recent travel history from their computer?  I think not but not sure. 

Automatically, I think not, but they can get the info of course, the official way. 

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There is nothing about self-isolation. The word is self-monitoring. They can go where ever they want but they have report where they're going. Read the official info from Thai government,not from ABC in Australia.

Conversations are getting mixed, Scorecard is talking about latest development in Australia, not the actual topic of this thread.

Why anyone would want to fly to Thailand especially tourists with this virus doing the rounds beggers belief 

Exceptions  would be priority family or personal reasons 

Most should wait and see how this unfolds in the coming weeks/ months 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I saw something about that, but I'm not clear if only meant other passport holders have to self isolate for 14 days, and not applicable to Australian passport holders? Did you hear anything about this point?  Also I wonder how this ties into rule already in place that folks from China, ital, Iran, ?? are totally banned from entering Australia until further notice.  

Excactly my  thoughts 

Do the self isolate ban apply to Australian pass port holders 

Sco Mo as usual  was nt

very clear on the matter

He needs another Hawaian holiday LOL

Edited by deej
  • Sad 1

We have Songkran soon as well, lots of Brits come over for that. Yes I know before you all say "its been cancelled" but in reallity it hasn't. In Pattaya only the official events and concerts are cancelled. There is nothing stopping the cash stripped bar owners putting containers full of water and ice starting on 10th April until the 19th like every year, you mark my words.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

As it is now most airlines have reduced or completely stopped flights to many destinations. If all countries close borders there will be no more flights and no one will be able to return home.....

Which is why everyone needs to look around and decide if they're located in a spot where they want to spend the next 2 to 6 months. Otherwise, move heaven and earth to get to where you want to be right this minute.

But what about people with these passports traveling within Thailand, but not having exited the country since before December?

I am concerned they will look at my passport and arbitrarily subject me to all this monitoring and tracking.

And AFTER I visit Bangkok for 36 hours, later this month, will I be subject to monitoring etc,  since it is a transmission zone worse than USA.

They are clear as mud about this...

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Correct.  From what I've read, the British plan is, apparently, to not try to stop the virus; the thinking being that much of the population will be exposed and, supposedly, those that survive will have built up some immunity in case there is a second wave of the virus at some point in the future.  Embracing the idea of making the herd stronger.  Apparently, also thinking of the British population as cattle.  (Apparently also ignoring there could be a vaccine in the future, as well.)  

Of course, since the virus kills far, far more older people than younger, this will, conveniently, clear many old, unproductive people off the pension rosters and, even better, there will be far fewer old people bothering doctors when they get sick.  Why, it's positively a win win any way you look at it!  Just think of the savings! 

I thought Trump was the worst leader in the World but Boris has put himself right up there if he gives his approval to this horrible plan.  Somewhere in deepest hell Hitler and his lot are smiling.

You are wrong there, the UK is quarantining every person over 70 years old for 4 months!

Therefore the stronger members of society can get it, become immune before the over 70's get released back in 4 months 

58 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Writing words without explaining how to comply does.

Seems perfectly clear to me.

Travellers arriving from the countries with ongoing local transmission are required to be under observation (supervision without quarantine) in order to ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days until the end of the infectious period or the reason for suspicion.

• Travellers must record their own symptoms in the reporting system and monitor their symptoms strictly as required by the MOPH.
  • The traveller must notify the disease control officer about the places he/she visits, so that a surveillance officer can closely monitor his/her movement and contacts.
  • If a traveller feels sick or suspects that he/she has a fever accompanied by at least one of the symptoms; such as, cough, runny nose, sore throat, and shortness of breath within 14 days of arrival into Thailand, he/she must inform a disease control officer immediately upon the symptoms onset or upon suspecting illness to be tested, treated, clinically diagnosed, isolated or quarantined.
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

You are wrong there, the UK is quarantining every person over 70 years old for 4 months!

Therefore the stronger members of society can get it, become immune before the over 70's get released back in 4 months 

How about the under 70 people?

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Seems perfectly clear to me.

If you say so :coffee1:

What reporting system? What disease control officer? Notify how?

Words without any real direction as to how to comply.

Edited by Salerno