COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

This is good for me to know as I am heading to the U.S. tomorrow via Japan and returning via the same transit in about ten days. Will prepare to "self isolate" at home for two weeks upon my return. Let's just keep it at that, though. So, no new restrictions, please. I just need the U.S. to not ban people coming in from Thailand or Japan in the next 48 hours. 

Stock up with berr you survive no probs on return

????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MR1888 said:

I'm due to fly into BKK from UK on Wednesday.  As UK has now been added to the level 2 list of countries yesterday, there is guidance and the requirements to report your health condition/temperature twice daily by app seem pretty clear for the self monitoring aspect. 

However, can anyone clarify on the following requirement

"The travelers from areas with ongoing local transmission must notify the disease control officer about the places they visit so that a surveillance officer can closely monitor their movement and contacts" 

How is this going to be monitored? Is it purely informing them what hotel or city you are staying in or are we going to have to submit a comprehensive list of every mall, bar and restaurant you've been in every day? 

theres gonna be some long lists of bars and brothels from our 2 week millionaire friends :clap2:

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Travellers who fail to comply face fines up to 100,000 baht and/or one year in jail.

welcome to  Thailand, yeah well go screw  yourself Ill be doing  none of  that nonsense and a year ion Jail I  should be able to spread corona  really well there, probably the least of the diseases I could  pick up in a Thai  jail.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Sorry still confused . Looking for a yes or no answer.

I'm still confused, too. But putting together the info from the US Embassy and the Thai MOPH, it seems that the health document is only needed for "Disease Infected Zones," not "Countries with Local Transmission." Hard to tell. I just tried to get what info I could from both sources. It's confusing. And still no idea about just who is required to have proof of the US$100,000 health insurance.

• Like 2

we really have to wonder what they have been hiding from us, Prayut & his gang use to say that all was under control, we kept complaining/posting about the borders/flights not being closed/cancelled and their answer always the same... All under control, but for the past 3-4 days things made a big turn and all of a sudden Thailand government is taking drastic approach and making drastic decisions, implementing quarantine.... what's going on ? why the drastic change in attitude

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Sorry still confused . Looking for a yes or no answer.

The answer is "no," you do not need any special paper or certificate of health. You will be subject only to all the "self-monitoring" and reporting (if they seriously follow through with that.) And of course, if you are coughing like crazy or sweating when you get off the plane, you will be nabbed and taken to a hospital for observation. 

11 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I'm still confused, too. But putting together the info from the US Embassy and the Thai MOPH, it seems that the health document is only needed for "Disease Infected Zones," not "Countries with Local Transmission." Hard to tell. I just tried to get what info I could from both sources. It's confusing. And still no idea about just who is required to have proof of the US$100,000 health insurance.

Your first statement is correct. As for proof of health insurance, that is also for people coming from "Disease Infected Zones." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Not even sure i can leave the country at 7am and if not i have to make a border run by the 22th of March. So if i cross back into Thailand via a border i will be stopped also?

8 minutes ago, AlienHermit66 said:

The answer is "no," you do not need any special paper or certificate of health. You will be subject only to all the "self-monitoring" and reporting (if they seriously follow through with that.) And of course, if you are coughing like crazy or sweating when you get off the plane, you will be nabbed and taken to a hospital for observation. 

Oh good to know that much. But i have to have health insurance when i enter Thailand ? And who do we report to from our Thai homes ?

Edited by Mitkof Island

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

we really have to wonder what they have been hiding from us, Prayut & his gang use to say that all was under control, we kept complaining/posting about the borders/flights not being closed/cancelled and their answer always the same... All under control, but for the past 3-4 days things made a big turn and all of a sudden Thailand government is taking drastic approach and making drastic decisions, implementing quarantine.... what's going on ? why the drastic change in attitude

what they and all governments are hiding. that the are never prepared for much of anything. then a pandemic was declared. the USA shut off the EU. The Thai and US stock market crashed 30% and so did oil. They are scared to death now all non essential travel globally will be cancelled. They want to be seen as doing something. I did see they finally got proper hazmat suits and masks from the Communist Chinese.

What ever the reason Thailand so far has dodged a huge bullet. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

IMO they found the perfect scapegoat

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yep. 

It's a way to scapegoat foreigners as when they finally start widespread testing here it would be shocking if community transmission isn't already well under way here. 

A lot in common with the USA. 

Other than that the first case in Thailand was earlier than the first case in the US.....or Italy. We are ahead of them not behind yet not seeing the exponential rise in cases that they are.

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think it's crazy to come to Thailand for holiday now, travel insurance companies have stopped cover that's how uncertain it is

Actually, it is crazy to travel anywhere now.  The world is going crazy and changing every 24 hours.  There is no way to know what the situation will be upon landing at destination or even mid-point layover for that matter.

But I am just skeptical that way.  I am sure all you guys will be fine......

• Like 2
  • Confused 1