COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

23 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Which is why everyone needs to look around and decide if they're located in a spot where they want to spend the next 2 to 6 months. Otherwise, move heaven and earth to get to where you want to be right this minute.

That’s insane and OTT. You can’t live life like that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, deej said:

Excactly my  thoughts 

Do the self isolate ban apply to Australian pass port holders 

Sco Mo as usual  was nt

very clear on the matter

He needs another Hawaian holiday LOL

Another poster posted a link to the ABC news which includes the very recent video in which the Oz PM made this new announcement. Listening to the complete video he does say 14 days self isolation for all arrivals including Australian passport holders. 

Here is the link:   https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-covid19-self-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772

Another link:   https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert#current-status

Edited by scorecard

Just now, alex8912 said:

That’s insane and OTT. You can’t live life like that. 

You're not going to have a choice. Countries are closing their borders and putting in restrictions. You're not going to be able to go anywhere. Governments will tell how you're going to live your life and there is not one damn thing you can do about it.

• Like 1

I wish I could know the real numbers in Thailand so that I could decide myself where to go and where not.

The problem is the Thai government is hiding the truth or do you believe there are only 85 cases of infection in the entire country that is being visited by 40million Chinese every year?? ( and by so many dirty farangs who don't shower...according Mr. Anutin, the pride of the country, the racist government buffalo)

I wish this time they could overcome their Thai style  (= we don't want to see bad things and we don't speak about them coz we are sooo Thai) and start to face the truth.

Act like professionals in assessing the situation, in communicating and fighting the disease, taking measures based on facts.

Edited by P100
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If you say so :coffee1:

What reporting system? What disease control officer? Notify how?

Words without any real direction as to how to comply.

They expect you to install an application on your Smartphone. Not clear on how they will deal with people who do not have such a device.

Just now, Canuck1966 said:

Obviously they have taken a decision that over 70 is far more vulnerable + people work into their late 60's so that has to be taken into account

And people younger than 70 with illnesses that make them more vulnerable?  Sorry, just don't think it's a good idea.  Maybe for a herd of cattle but not a population of humans. 

46 minutes ago, 448glb said:

Big news is coming out tomorrow in Thailand, everyone should stock up on supplies. You have been advised.

I'm very curious on what it will be. Prob you are just speculating , which you can do right now , since so many news comes out that there certainly will be a news item . Europe is about shut down , US still open but its getting there fast . Tourist nrs will be completely down the drain 2nd part of march and more then probably 1st half of april also . This means songkran included . Since it is high season , this is/will be a horrific blow in tourism ( not only for Thailand , tourism industry as a whole is belly up ) .

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

And people younger than 70 with illnesses that make them more vulnerable?  Sorry, just don't think it's a good idea.  Maybe for a herd of cattle but not a population of humans. 

There is no good way to address it. If everybody goes into quarantine, as soon as they are let out is starts again

54 minutes ago, 448glb said:

Big news is coming out tomorrow in Thailand, everyone should stock up on supplies. You have been advised.

If what you're implying is about to happen, then nobody is going to want to go outside in a day or two, because roaming bands of desperate people who don't have the money to "stock up" are going to want to be fed.

47 minutes ago, Salerno said:

After they stop scratching their heads you could always show them the official lists, neither of which Taiwan is on: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php (scroll down for the lists the restrictions apply to).

That list is not updated. I saw a list this morning and it said China incl. Taiwan,Macau and Hongkong. Correct or not, don't ask me. 

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

They expect you to install an application on your Smartphone. Not clear on how they will deal with people who do not have such a device.

Installed that app a couple of days ago, electronic version of the T8 added to an existing app. Didn't see anything else added along the lines of the requirements. Last I read it was supposed to be in development.

4 minutes ago, P100 said:

The problem is the Thai government concealing the truth or do you believe there are only 85 cases of infection in the entire country that is being visited by 40million Chinese every year??

Add another 32 as of a minute or so ago.

4 minutes ago, zydeco said:

You're not going to have a choice. Countries are closing their borders and putting in restrictions. You're not going to be able to go anywhere. Governments will tell how you're going to live your life and there is not one damn thing you can do about it.

Waaaay to much CNN dude!! Already China , Hong Kong and South Korea are on the downside of this. Thailand is on very few or I think no countries travel ban. You are actually saying if you plan to go home from Thailand in August or Sept do it now?? Give me a break!  I’m going to the States from BKK via Hong Kong April 17 th and It won’t be a problem. If I listened to all the hype I would not have just traveled from the States to Hong Kong, Japan and now Thailand last week. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That list is not updated. I saw a list this morning and it said China incl. Taiwan,Macau and Hongkong. Correct or not, don't ask me. 

The link I posted is "supposed" to be the official list. Unless really bowing down don't see why they'd add Taiwan under China?

50 minutes ago, Salerno said:

After they stop scratching their heads you could always show them the official lists, neither of which Taiwan is on: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php (scroll down for the lists the restrictions apply to).

Quoted on Thaivisa last week i think

China (incTaiwan) which is (ROC)

Official list dated 2nd March 2563?

I'm still taking your first reply as "no"

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

The headlines are misleading; they say "all arrivals" but the body of the article says "all visitors" https://www.smh.com.au/national/pm-introduces-strict-travel-restrictions-for-all-arrivals-20200315-p54a8q.html

Other articles say it's "all arrivals", nothing about "all visitors" - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-covid19-self-isolation-announced-for-australia/12057772

It is indeed every traveller into Oz including Ozzie's who will be in the majority anyway. Morrison made that quite clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, newnative said:

Maybe for a herd of cattle but not a population of humans. 

I have a hard time thinking of a government that doesn't view its people as just a herd of cattle to be milked to keep the government in power. It's a vicious circle.

22 hours ago, CLW said:

A medical certificate is not of much help. It most likely won't include a proper test such as RT-PCR just a temperature check and other symptoms. Also it can't be older than 48 hours which means any traveller can be a potential carrier of the virus without showing symptoms at the day of testing because of a long incubation period of the virus. 

Exactly...........a bit like the medical certificate for long stay visa applications.

32 minutes ago, Ddbanksy said:

Quoted on Thaivisa last week i think

China (incTaiwan) which is (ROC)

Official list dated 2nd March 2563?

I'm still taking your first reply as "no"

That'd be the initial brain fart that was rescinded, tweaked then the real list put into action. The link I posted was updated 5 March.

Virus May Be More Damaging Than Financial Crisis, Singapore’s PM Says

Here's a concrete example of how bad the economy could get in the next two years...

In America, the FJ Cruiser was introduced just around the time the real estate prices peaked in 2006 and the bubble started to burst in 2007. 

It had modest sales the first year 2006, then decreased a little in 2007, after the bubble started deflating property values and people started feeling "poorer".

In the next year (2008) sales dropped by almost 50% as many people were "upside down" and owed more money than their house was worth.

In the following year (2009) sales dropped again quite substantially.  People don't spend money if they lose their jobs and are living off savings and unemployment.

The Coronavirus epidemic will decrease economic activity so much, it will ripple through the economy all around the world and have a multiplier effect.

Of course after a vaccine is released and infection rates slow (because so many have already caught it and have some immunity antibodies), there will be a "pent up demand" for tourists to come back to Thailand and enjoy themselves again as things get back to normal.

But until then, buckle up your seat belts.  It's going to be a wild ride going down, economically speaking. ????

Screenshot_20200315-101951_Gmail.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419

25 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

It is indeed every traveller into Oz including Ozzie's who will be in the majority anyway. Morrison made that quite clear.

The NZ PM  at least made the above clear

Sco Mo never he lit another bush fire  .needs  a straight upper cut !!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ridler said:

Self monitoring, is this different to self isolation?

due to go to the UK on Saturday and return 10 April for work. 
does this now mean I have to be isolated for 14 days? Appreciate your advice

I think at this stage it is impossible to say what will be the case for entering Thailand from UK on 10 April.

Might not even be possible to get in. As it sounds like you really need to get in, if the trip to UK is non-essential you might want to reconsider it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

True. BTW was chatting with couple of Aussie backpackers last night who are heading back to oz and their jobs next week. Guess extended holiday at home. Au PM just copied NZ chick.

Anyone thinking of border/visa run to Saigon keep it to a minimum visit. As of 6pm Saturday 14. ALL bars venues etc closed down. Like a ghost town district 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BeltAndRoad said:

You sound like the hypercondriac type, and are probably just talking yourself into feeling sick.  Go and take a placebo and you'll feel better.  Make sure you tell yourself that it's the vaccine to corona virus and not just a placebo. Sleep now 

Oh you are so smart, why hypochondriac? I said I probably just have a cold - how the hell does that make me a hypochondriac? If I sound that type, what type do you think you sound like with your stupid comments? I have my thoughts but can't print them on here.

By the way, if you're going to try to be a smart ass, you should learn to spell.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JCP108 said:

This is good for me to know as I am heading to the U.S. tomorrow via Japan and returning via the same transit in about ten days. Will prepare to "self isolate" at home for two weeks upon my return. Let's just keep it at that, though. So, no new restrictions, please. I just need the U.S. to not ban people coming in from Thailand or Japan in the next 48 hours. 

Don't forget you might need a medical cert to get into USA... and another on your return to Thailand

Not sure about transiting through Japan, 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JCP108 said:

This is good for me to know as I am heading to the U.S. tomorrow via Japan and returning via the same transit in about ten days. Will prepare to "self isolate" at home for two weeks upon my return. Let's just keep it at that, though. So, no new restrictions, please. I just need the U.S. to not ban people coming in from Thailand or Japan in the next 48 hours. 

I just flew from Bangkok to the US via Dubai.

I had no problems. I went through several temperature checks but was not stopped at all. I even got bumped up to First Class from Business Class because (it looked like) they combined flights and I was THE last person to board. First time I've flown on a bird that small across the oceans.

Suvarnabhumi was the emptiest that I've ever seen it. Been traveling through/to Thailand for the last 20 years. It was crazy to see it almost a ghost town. Even looking down at arrivals, the place seemed empty.

Thailand just chased off, at least, 30% of the travelers who would have been coming.

I firmly believe the the medical "experts" have overblown this epically.  Perhaps, I'm wrong. 

• Like 1