COVID-19: Thailand adds UK, USA and others to list of high risk countries - new “self-monitoring” measure for travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

On 3/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, nightfox said:

Is Thailand just waiting to become the next Italy and south Korea???.....This is one ticking time bomb. But in typical Thai action they will wait until the death toll climbs significantly here and there is thousands of infections before they will decide to suspend all flights all bar all entries from Europe and USA. Its about time for once for Thailand put their people first ahead of the Bhat....But we all know that it wont happen

Anus is still waiting to catch a farang with the virus

Thailand has added the UK, USA and several other countries to list of countries it regards as being ‘high risk’ due to the ongoing coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic.

On 13 March, 2020, at 19.00 Hrs, the Public Health Ministry’s Department of Disease Control, updated its list of countries with ‘ongoing local transmission’.

This list now includes: Japan, France, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, the UK and USA.

According to an update posted on the Tourism Authority of Thailand website on 14 March, travelers arriving in Thailand from these countries are expected to “ensure self-monitoring for no less than 14 days”.

They left out Italy from the list of countries. So they should tell people if you are only coming to Thailand for less than 14 days, don't bother coming. HAHA  5555

5 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

They left out Italy from the list of countries.

I don't know what shows on TAT website but on the mo|PH website which is the actual source, . Italy is on the list but under the more restricted category of " Disease infected Zones" rather than "areas of ongoing local transmission. "

See https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

Travelers from Italy, Iran, Korea and China (inc HK and Macau) must  show medical certificate, proving they are free of the virus, proof of health insurance before they can board a flight and then undergo quarantine on arrival. Much heavier restriction than for travelers from Europe and USA.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:00 AM, stephenterry said:

I would reason it's inconceivable that Thailand has such a published low Covid 19 infection rate, given the lax travel controls over tourists and returnees, and communal ways of life here. IMO, crowded government hospitals and shopping malls provide massive everyday risks  - there only has to be a handful of infected people to pan out into a blanket and uncontrollable epidemic.

Add that neither the government nor municipalities have provided a health service phone line, or enabled the availability of plentiful masks at pharmacies or 7-11 outlets - it's a right shambles, where people (most probably) get painkillers from doctors and are sent home to die.  

Countrywide proactive preventative measures is a foreign language to these face-saving ministerial reactionaries. God help us all.

I would agree that the numbers seem low. Probably due to low testing (if you don't test, you won't have any cases)

At the same time, the streets in Thailand (or any country) are not littered with dead bodies. I am sure that word of mass casualties would have gotten out via social media. I have heard that 97% of infected people survive, especially if they are young and healthy otherwise

It would be interesting to see the number of deaths for March 1 to 15 this year and compare to the same time last year. This would give an idea of the actual impact.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, alyx said:

hum...Kindly enlighten me:

1) where is it (officially) written that masks are compulsory? I think it has been made clear by the WHO that the masks should be worn by people at risk (please check) and the health workers. If that had been listened to, maybe there would be no shortage of masks...

2) Why do you think so little of people. Also I think that the people planning to come here (Thailand) on holidays may have changed their plans. Not to mention that I have personally witnessed two cases of self quarantine... and these two families got stuck at home for the fortnight (ending tonight): not easy but they did it.

3) Sorry but, who is qualified to deliver such a a mentioned certificate, not withstanding the fact that one can contract it after the examination

I do feel that Thailand is taking a much more appropriate approach than the lockdown countries ( it will work though, but over drastically managed) 

Teaching people to manage their daily lives and stay away of  the virus by social distancing, and wash it off is more sensible but you will answer ( sorry to put words in your mouth) ... people do not care about advices unless they are enforced on them.

Of course if Thailand go for lockdown, then we will have to follow theses rules 

WHO said that the general population should not use masks as there is no protection against the virus. At the same time, we should make sure that medical staff has enough masks to protect them... hmm.... the same mask protects a doctor or nurse, but not an office worker?

In addition, masks should be given to sick people to prevent them from infecting others. As many people are spreading the virus without being sick, it is too late to wait until symptoms appear. 

But, if everyone wears a mask, then the probability of passing on the virus would be reduced. Obviously,  this works only as long as everyone participates 

• Like 1

I hd a case of some common flu back in January and though I'm 80 I got over it with only moderate discomfort. I wonder if that will give me some immunization against similar viruses, but I guess probably not. What pisses me off is that I like to get a massage here in Bangkok every other day when possible, and that activity is starting to look problematic.

My last post was totally messed up. In Bangkok and at Taipei,most Asian travellers wore

masks, while only some Canadians and foreignors did.  Less people on a full plane from Taipei to

Vancouver wore masks. In Vancouver and Calgary, no airport staff wore masks

and there were no checks done on passengers. Total stupid

attitude to have, so expect more cases to happen in Canada

Geezer

21 hours ago, emptypockets said:

It is indeed every traveller into Oz including Ozzie's who will be in the majority anyway. Morrison made that quite clear.

Melbourne Victory went to NZ for a game against Wellington Phoenix. When they came back home to Aus yesterday (I think) they got quarantined 14 days,even when they were promised before they left, that wouldn't happen.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

WHO said that the general population should not use masks as there is no protection against the virus. At the same time, we should make sure that medical staff has enough masks to protect them... hmm.... the same mask protects a doctor or nurse, but not an office worker?

In addition, masks should be given to sick people to prevent them from infecting others. As many people are spreading the virus without being sick, it is too late to wait until symptoms appear. 

But, if everyone wears a mask, then the probability of passing on the virus would be reduced. Obviously,  this works only as long as everyone participates 

And then shortage for the ones who really need it, wouldn't you agree?

The reaction to this "new" virus is paranoid

Keep calm and act upon the means of disrupting the chain rather than leading population to unprecedented suspicion towards each other 

That has proven not to be good on the short run....

• Like 1

Sons friend arrived from UK last night, nothing was mentioned about self monitoring, he simply had his temperature checked and was allowed to proceed as normal, he had an itinerary prepared but wasn’t asked for it, no reporting app was supplied.... typical Thai bluster and lots of different departments involved but none of them coordinating with each other. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

Sons friend arrived from UK last night, nothing was mentioned about self monitoring, he simply had his temperature checked and was allowed to proceed as normal, he had an itinerary prepared but wasn’t asked for it, no reporting app was supplied.... typical Thai bluster and lots of different departments involved but none of them coordinating with each other. 

I think they realized that everybody doesn't have a smartphone, even if it's a bit strange 2020. The reporting system must be based on something else, but it won't be that easy to come up with something reliable in Thailand.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, JCP108 said:

This is good for me to know as I am heading to the U.S. tomorrow via Japan and returning via the same transit in about ten days. Will prepare to "self isolate" at home for two weeks upon my return. Let's just keep it at that, though. So, no new restrictions, please. I just need the U.S. to not ban people coming in from Thailand or Japan in the next 48 hours. 

If your a U.S. citizen, nothing to worry about. Though they could put you in quarantine for 14 days. 

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just for interest my wife who has a valid visa for New Zealand has just had notification if she flies to NZ she has to report and most likely self quarantine 

That's actually a fact. If she fails to comply, she will be deported. The New Zealand Government is actively monitoring the behavior of tourists who fall into this category. 

12 minutes ago, simtemple said:

Thailand needs tourists and should allow Italian tourist access, regardless how many are dying daily from the infection in Italy. 

Watch "Italian Refused Rayong Hotel Accommodation " complain on YouTube

https://youtu.be/C6TbTu4cUvE

I am not surprised to see this in this country, but it happens all around the world, sad but true.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:42 AM, Mung said:

The UK has done a lot more testing than Thailand has. Thailand doesn't have a huge problem obviously, but there are more hospitalised cases than are reported here I feel. 

The UK hasn't done enough testing, but they will shortly do ten times more.

The UK hospitals also haven't done enough, they only have 4000 icu beds, Germany has 25,000.

I agree though, the cases in Thailand will be tenfold greater than identified cases, as elsewhere, that's still a lot less than most countries that are badly affected. Though we will have to see if it stays that way. This virus seems all powerful and able to do what it wants.

15 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The UK hasn't done enough testing, but they will shortly do ten times more.

The UK hospitals also haven't done enough, they only have 4000 icu beds, Germany has 25,000.

I agree though, the cases in Thailand will be tenfold greater than identified cases, as elsewhere, that's still a lot less than most countries that are badly affected. Though we will have to see if it stays that way. This virus seems all powerful and able to do what it wants.

I feel it mutated to be more virulent just when Iran and Italy were seeing initial cases. It seemed to explode there overnight, and then as it migrated to the rest of Europe, cases also exploded. The UK had cases some time before Italy, but cases exploded long after Italy, as is the case with the rest of Europe. It might be that the mutated strain is now also in Thailand and Asia, hence the sudden increase in cases. There are many variables and unknowns, all we can really do is look at the data and estimate what's going on at this stage 

Edited by Mung

It is rather perplexing that Italy was one of the first countries to react, very strongly, and yet the virus ravaged Italy worst of all.

I don't trust the calm in Thailand. The normal flu kills 2500 in Thailand every year. You'd think Covid19 will not be less than that.

21 hours ago, Logosone said:

It is rather perplexing that Italy was one of the first countries to react, very strongly, and yet the virus ravaged Italy worst of all.

I don't trust the calm in Thailand. The normal flu kills 2500 in Thailand every year. You'd think Covid19 will not be less than that.

Road Accident Victims Protection Co Thailand : The first 10 months of this year(2019);   13,692 people died and 757,010 were injured in road accidents.

A good reason Thai people are not too worried about the Coronavirus.