Covid-19 and the Thai movie reserved seat custom

Jingthing

What's happening at the movies?

I won't be going to any movies anytime soon but those that have, are they getting crowds or are they empty.

I recently heard of a movie theater chain in the U.S. mandating a 50 percent capacity limit. For obvious reasons. To give people the chance for the needed SOCIAL DISTANCING at this rather dark time in the world. 

But the Thai seating reservation custom works against that!

How often have you selected seats in a rather sparse cinema, and then gone in and have had people sitting right next to you!?!

It happens a lot.

A while back I tried to give some space between another party and they refused! They forced seating directly next to the other party. 

I can understand that at crowded times, but while on that subject wouldn't it be a good idea for Thailand's cinemas to adopt a 50 percent capacity limit for the duration of this global pandemic?

There's pre blocked seating for the online orders/card holders....All they have to do is expand that.....Groups of bigger than 2 might have to split up or designated group seating in on area of the theater.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

most of the movies I watch are only 20%

That's kind of what I figured but like I said I've noticed a pressuring to group everyone together in a small space even in very poorly attended shows. In the current climate, that is INSANE. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's kind of what I figured but like I said I've noticed a pressuring to group everyone together in a small space even in very poorly attended shows. In the current climate, that is INSANE. 

Completely agree, I like watching movies with the family a lot but not going at the moment.

If they did do as you suggest I think they may be on a winner and encourage people to go, I certainly would. Its a great business idea.

How often have you selected seats in a rather sparse cinema, and then gone in and have had people sitting right next to you!?!

never. i go the the scala, about 1200 seater, original 1960s art deco cinema, wonderful place. the cheap seats get more crowded, thai and foreigners, but i dont sit there ???? always plenty of room, and great place to see a movie.

Go and book your seats while that song is on then hardly any come after, sit at the front if you have to, Thais seem to hate that area, also book one in from the end very rare you will get anyone in the end seat on their own. Most films are total <deleted> of course, invisible man was pretty good though

Edited by Orton Rd

Simple solution to those that worry about such things- don't go to the movies. The rest of us will carry on as normal and enjoy seeing movies as they were meant to be seen- in a cinema. If it keeps the morons that use phones or talk during a movie away that's only a good thing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't know where you go to the movies in LOS, but every cinema I went to allowed one to get a seat anywhere in the auditorium. If worried, wait till near start time and see where all the occupied seats are, then get one where they aren't.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

There's pre blocked seating for the online orders/card holders....All they have to do is expand that.....Groups of bigger than 2 might have to split up or designated group seating in on area of the theater.....

every second seat has a red witches hat, or a flimsy white plastic garden chair languishing/balanced over it... ???? 

• Haha 1

I went to the theater yesterday at Terminal-21 with a friend. We generally go to the earliest showing available and there are few people, usually 10-15 at most. It depends on the popularity of the movie. Yesterday's show at 12:20 p.m. had a total of four people in the theater including us. Less than normal at that time of day. If people sit next to you then just wait until the show starts and move to an empty area. Nobody is going to check your tickets or say anything. Upon entry they took our temperatures with the forehead scanner. I requested rectal but they refused.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, sungod said:

most of the movies I watch are only 20%

I have been to many premiers at Central Festival in Pattaya, theater 4 (the biggest) where we've been 10-15 people. I have never seen a movie movie 20% full the last couple of years. I don't know how many movies I watched 2019, at least 20. 

On 3/14/2020 at 8:55 PM, Jingthing said:

I watch a lot of movies in Pattaya every year,and it's NEVER crowded. So, now when it's even less people, there's no need to worry. Have you ever been to a Thai movie theater? 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2020 at 4:33 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know where you go to the movies in LOS, but every cinema I went to allowed one to get a seat anywhere in the auditorium. If worried, wait till near start time and see where all the occupied seats are, then get one where they aren't.

I think he's never been to a Thai movie theater, because everybody needs to pick a seat themselves when buying the ticket(s) (even when buying the ticket(s) online). They don't pick it for you. 

• Thanks 1