SURVEY: Covid-19, Is Thailand on the right track?

Scott

SURVEY: Covid-19, Is Thailand on the right track?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thailand recently added to the list of countries who must self-monitor themselves while in Thailand.   In your opinion, do you think Thailand is on the right track in dealing with Covid-19?  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1153479-covid-19-thailand-adds-uk-usa-and-others-to-list-of-high-risk-countries-new-“self-monitoring”-measure for-travellers/

One true figures catch up public will be more aware. Temple event today our area had a 1000 or more there. A forest of money trees.

47 advised today go back up to 2 weeks. So estimate 50x14 =700 as catch up figure.

Ordered my thermometer on Lazada so can check mummy before bed each night. We keep on top of it ourselves stay home as much as possible.

Stay safe all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

Compared to the West, Yes, Thailand is far ahead. 

Yes, I recall when our lad was 15 he had a school medical, Doctor looked at his finger nails and said..."You are going to have a heart attack and cancer"............Absolutely true....

Wow.....now that is one clever doctor eh................????................????.........................????

PS. As the kid was really worried so we took him to a hospital to talk to a Doctor. She laughed and sent us on our way......

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Can we have one example of that?

One of the reasons several countries in Europe have many infected is because they travel abroad a lot, especially during the winter holiday. Many went for example to Italy. Then they went home and brought the infection with them. Thailand got the virus mainly from Chinese tourists and from people visiting China for several reasons,and some from guest workers in South Korea. There are VERY FEW Thai travelling abroad compared to other countries and that's one reason the domestic transmission of the virus is quite low. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

One of the reasons several countries in Europe have many infected is because they travel abroad a lot, especially during the winter holiday. Many went for example to Italy. Then they went home and brought the infection with them. Thailand got the virus mainly from Chinese tourists and from people visiting China for several reasons,and some from guest workers in South Korea. There are VERY FEW Thai travelling abroad compared to other countries and that's one reason the domestic transmission of the virus is quite low. 

And the other reason and probably the more important one, is that the climate in Europe is conducive to rapid spread of the virus. Just take a look around the web. Temperate zones=rapid spread. Tropical zones=sluggish spread.

There is nowhere in SEA or southern Asia that has an outbreak any near as bad as what's happening in Europe right now. Even Hong Kong which is joined at the hip to China has a very low infection rate.

It's all about the climate.

Edited by Moonlover

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And the other reason and probably the more important one, is that the climate in Europe is conducive to rapid spread of the virus. Just take a look around the web. Temperate zones=rapid spread. Tropical zones=sluggish spread.

There is nowhere in SEA or southern Asia that has an outbreak any near as bad as what's happening in Europe right now. Even Hong Kong which is joined at the hip to China has a very low infection rate.

I really hope so, but we don't know that yet.

Demographics and lack of wide-scale testing may also be at play.  Average age of person dying of coronavirus in Italy is 81. SEA Asia doesn't have nearly as many people of that age as a percentage of total population. Even Thailand, with an aging population, doesn't have a lot of really old people.  Meanwhile young people don't tend to get very sick, and can even be asymptomatic - not even getting a fever.

Countries like South Korea which conducting wide testing, have a better idea of what's going on.  Countries like Italy (and Thailand) are only testing if someone has symptoms.  Although the death rate in Italy seems really high, likely a lot of young people have it (even brought it home to grandparents) but have never been tested and may think they are well.

There's must be a reason other countries have banned Thai residents from visiting, despite the very low reported numbers.  Have to wonder if Thailand is a vector country - having many infected, but not showing symptoms. 

56 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Meh.

Influenza is a big problem here, has been for ages. Look at H1N1 circa 2009/2010 (worse in Singapore).

Peak flu season here is June-August, and October-February.

In the northern hemisphere you have the combination of people staying indoors more, shorter days (UV/Vitamin D) rather than the outside ambient temperature.

Hard to tell in Thailand is "on track" given the lack of transparency. We're on a track, just hope there's not another train heading towards us on the same track. That would be a ...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Meh.

Influenza is a big problem here, has been for ages. Look at H1N1 circa 2009/2010 (worse in Singapore).

Peak flu season here is June-August, and October-February.

In the northern hemisphere you have the combination of people staying indoors more, shorter days (UV/Vitamin D) rather than the outside ambient temperature.

Hard to tell in Thailand is "on track" given the lack of transparency. We're on a track, just hope there's not another train heading towards us on the same track. That would be a ...

Yes, you're comments are just about right. I am not suggesting that a coronavirus cannot exist in a tropical environment. The big difference is that in the winter of a temperate climate a coronavirus can propagate much faster and hence infect many more people on a short timescale.

One only has to look at the speed of propagation in Italy and then compare it with that of any country in SEA or the sub continent. The difference is glaringly obvious.

So I'm not really concerned as to whether the government is playing down the figures or not. The anecdotal evidence, from across the whole region suggests that we are not facing a major outbreak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bit unfair on Thailand.

I think all the countries are taking actions just for show.

Most of the western countries would secretly be happy if all the old folk died.

It would save them a fortune in pensions/welfare/housing.

I call it the The Pension Flu, Perfect Storm for Social Security, Pensions , Annuities , etc

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, you're comments are just about right. I am not suggesting that a coronavirus cannot exist in a tropical environment. The big difference is that in the winter of a temperate climate a coronavirus can propagate much faster and hence infect many more people on a short timescale.

One only has to look at the speed of propagation in Italy and then compare it with that of any country in SEA or the sub continent. The difference is glaringly obvious.

So I'm not really concerned as to whether the government is playing down the figures or not. The anecdotal evidence, from across the whole region suggests that we are not facing a major outbreak.

Think Italy thought that, and Iranians thought someone "up there", listening to them chanting, would take care of them.....:whistling: 

7 hours ago, alant said:

survey needs a "really don't know" option as apart from being more transparent and unbiased with my information I am not sure I would know what is best.

survey needs a "you owe me a new keyboard cause I just spat coffee all over this one" option cause the Thai number are utter nonsense.

• Haha 2

I thought Thailand would escape the worst due to the sunny weather. However that theory was blown away over the weekend. Now the Southern Hemisphere seems to be on track for just as bad a time of it as Europe.

I think the only benefit Thailand has is that people spend more time outdoors.

Incidentally I still have the chest infection I picked up a month ago in Bangkok. I think the PM 2.5's wrecked my lungs.

Wrong track because

1. Stats aren't credible

2. Pushed consumption of masks and gel, instead of more economical and effective handwashing, causing shortages, panic shopping, hoarding, gouging, corruption, and ensuring that the poor will take no precautions

3. Didn't ban Chinese travelers early

4. Anutin's potty mouth (he's in way over his head, but i do like his ganja policies)

5. Pushing the "dirty foreigner" angle when i would estimate that in 30 years i've seen no more than 25% of Thai men wash their hands with soap in public toilets (maybe for widespread lack of soap)

6. Didn't disinfect ports of entry and fingerprint scanners immediately

7. Unclear guidelines on isolation and quarantine, lists of countries keep changing

This gives me no satisfaction, as I have always felt that Public Health was one of the most effective ministries, and Thailand has excellent professionals. They've done amazing work on human and animal disease control at the land borders etc. But this pandemic has been a political event from the beginning.

Edited by Puwa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Wrong track because

1. Stats aren't credible

2. Pushed consumption of masks and gel, instead of more economical and effective handwashing, causing shortages, panic shopping, hoarding, gouging, corruption, and ensuring that the poor will take no precautions

3. Didn't ban Chinese travelers early

4. Anutin's potty mouth (he's in way over his head, but i do like his ganja policies)

5. Pushing the "dirty foreigner" angle when i would estimate that in 30 years i've seen no more than 25% of Thai men wash their hands with soap in public toilets (maybe for widespread lack of soap)

6. Didn't disinfect ports of entry and fingerprint scanners immediately

7. Unclear guidelines on isolation and quarantine, lists of countries keep changing

This gives me no satisfaction, as I have always felt that Public Health was one of the most effective ministries, and Thailand has excellent professionals. They've done amazing work on human and animal disease control at the land borders etc. But this pandemic has been a political event from the beginning.

I was at a land border a few days ago, at immigration I had to take my mask off (OK), but I had to remove my latex gloves to put my hand on the scanner, no hand cleaner present.....Poor show...????