Change of Thai attitude since Anutin Twitter outburst

Kadilo

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I’ve already made it clear I will never return. 

They don't care, truth be known they'd be glad to see the back of us if it were not for the money holiday makers spend.

Thais witness very little of the ex pats expenditure and benefit from it less so the ex pats are going to become even less welcome as things get much worse which it looks as if they will do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

on entering a government building on friday i was asked to prove i hadn't been outside thailand in the previous 14 days, which i could. however thais were streaming into the building past me, i asked why they were only checking foreigners as thais travel outside thailand too, and thais can also have the virus. it's 'the policy' i was told. i explained that there was clearly an issue with the effectiveness of 'the policy', but i was simply repeatedly told that it was 'the policy'.

on entering the building a senior male approached me and asked why i wasn't wearing a mask, i pointed out that the majority of thais around us weren't wearing masks either, and that masks offered little protection against infection, but he wasn't listening. he then indicated i had to use gel on my hands, which i was happy to do, however he was not requiring thais to use the gel... ho hum...

I would have made a bigger deal about it and ask what about the Chinese?

I speak Thai BTW. So far, no issues with anything and the next time (hopefully only time) I'll be needing to enter a government office in the coming weeks will be to renew my Thai driver's license next month. I understand they are doing temperature screening upon entry, but hopefully not more than that.

11 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

They don't care, truth be known they'd be glad to see the back of us if it were not for the money holiday makers spend.

Thais witness very little of the ex pats expenditure and benefit from it less so the ex pats are going to become even less welcome as things get much worse which it looks as if they will do.

Yeah I meant I would t return to the hospital for a massage not Thailand itself. I wasnt that upset.  One thing there is no shortage of is Thai masseurs, even up here. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I wouldn't say that at all...many Thais work in tourism and they see it very well and they certainly benefit from it (20% of the economy comes from tourism and it's on an upward trend). Maybe Thais up in Nakorn Nowhere don't appear to "benefit" from our expenditure but only the most ignorant say bad things that may negatively affect tourism.

Tourism is a sacred cow in Thailand - it's almost unheard of for locals to want less of it and I've even heard stories of officials warning locals not to say or do anything that could cause tourism numbers to fall.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mngmn said:

I rest your case...

Been years since i've been on their website.  -Founded using an "ACT"  - Stated not a government department.  -classed as a body corporate  -logo is a cool looking star wars fighter and not the coat of arms.  You have me on not being able to prove who controls it. Yet it is clear it is unconstitutional and out of control of "we the people".

https://web.archive.org/web/20010417233517/http://www.rba.gov.au/FAQ/role.html#own

• Like 1

Last week, I was refused to enter a macro store in Bueng Kan. For having a temperature to low. Not to high, but too low. 

the next day when i was waiting to get a soup at a small shop. A group of locals accused me of having the virus. 

i am not sick, i have been in the country for more then 40 days. More then the 14 day incubation period. 

everything else has been business as usually. Friendly faces and happy smiles. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Today when she called she was informed that from the 14th they were not massaging and ferangs because of the fears of catching Coronavirus. 

"Not massaging" full stop, or just not massaging foreigners?

3 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Been years since i've been on their website.  -Founded using an "ACT"  - Stated not a government department.  -classed as a body corporate  -logo is a cool looking star wars fighter and not the coat of arms.  You have me on not being able to prove who controls it. Yet it is clear it is unconstitutional and out of control of "we the people".

https://web.archive.org/web/20010417233517/http://www.rba.gov.au/FAQ/role.html#own

Can you imagine if the Government was allowed to determine interest rates prior to a general election?  You need to stop looking for conspiracies and recognise how great our system of Government actually is.  Come back to me in about six months and we can compare how a democratic system of Government has fared compared to a country run by a yob with a few tanks at his command.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mngmn said:

Congratulations on a classic 'what about ism' post!

As much as I despise John Howard he never called 'Asians dirty little f*ckers that should be kicked out of the country'.  Even Pauline Hanson never had the guts to make her racist beliefs clearly known but fell back instead on all her 'please explain bullsh*t'.

It is also more than 13 years since John Howard was booted out of office by Kevin Rudd.  I understand that the whining the little sh*t may have done something to personally offend you, but I would have thought loud mouth Dutton would be a better target?  Oh that's right! He's rather indisposed at the moment.

At the end of the day we have laws in Australia about using racist language.  Ministers could only make similar statements using parliamentary privilege but with 3.5 million Australians of Asian descent and many who would find such ranting unacceptable, I assume that the party supporting this view would rather suffer at the ballot box.  Although if you live in Thailand, I expect you have no idea what a ballot box is as they are rather unusual there.

Its also worth pointing out that most Australians of Asian descent are able to stay in Australia for more than one year at a time. They are allowed to work, own property and are not charged a Government sanctioned 2 - 4 times the normal price for anything from hospital treatment to tourist attractions.

That's right. Pauline Hansen's then statements were nothing in comparison to Anutin's alleged remarks. It's one thing saying you 'fear too many' foreigners from a certain geographical region, it's totally another to say a certain group of people are smelly and should be avoided or kicked out of the country because they aren't obedient sheep. The former is in my book a somewhat legitimate concern but probably should have been handled with more discretion, the latter is an unforgivable sin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

Are you serious?  The White Australia Policy ended in 1970s and you are using it to justify a racist outburst fifty years later in 2020?  In any case Thai Ministers are welcome in Australia now with the welcome even being extended to correctional facilities for some.

Have already commented on the Howard era in another post.

Daley said "Our young children will flee and who are they being replaced with? They are being replaced by young people from typically Asia with PhDs," and "So there's a transformation happening in Sydney now where our kids are moving out and foreigners are moving in and taking their jobs".  I see it more as a suggestion that young Australians think more carefully about their futures in an increasingly competitive world.  BTW this is almost a constant theme in many posts on TV.  In a few years time the Asians with PhDs will be Australian citizens who are able to work, own property, vote and will pay the same price for everything as I do.  No amount of PhDs will ever achieve that for a "white n*gger" in Thailand.

lol. Ok I concede with reservations. ( Not the  "walkabout"  ones).

12 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Many white n*ggers provide financial support for children in Nakhon Nowhere that have been abandoned by their fathers.

Yes I know, the key word is "maybe". I meant that in upcountry Thailand where few foreigners reside or travel to, it may appear to the masses that our impact is small. That being said, I regularly visit the most remote parts of Thailand and I never have to look far to spot a farang. I see them in all sorts of Nakorn Nowhere villages just driving through town in my car and I'm sure the people I'm spotting are not the only farang residents in these places.

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

lol. Ok I concede with reservations. ( Not the  "walkabout"  ones).

If you mean Indigenous people I agree with you 100%.  To their shame, I hear many racist slurs about them coming from recent migrants to Australia including quite a few Asians.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeltAndRoad said:

Your funny, your referring to a balot box as some beacon of democracy right?  Even the Congo roll out a balot box now and then.  Can you tell me if you are able to vote for the people at the Australian Reserve Bank that control monetary policy at these balot box's?  Because if you cant then that would suggest that the Australian Reserve Bank and Australia's money supply has been privatized.  Privatize the money supply, not sure where i've heard that before. Oh yeah Karl Marx's communist manifesto.

Yep good point. Don't wanna get into this further on this thread, since it's not related to this topic and may be deleted if it gets too "in-depth" but suffice to say at this point, every Central Bank is privately owned including that of Thailand, and this is not something many people know, or talk about.

4 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Yep good point. Don't wanna get into this further on this thread, since it's not related to this topic and may be deleted if it gets too "in-depth" but suffice to say at this point, every Central Bank is privately owned including that of Thailand, and this is not something many people know, or talk about.

RBA is NOT privately owned!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Probably only needed for you or wife to say, he lives here and hasnt travelled anywhere, Its a reasonable assumption if not corrected that a "foreigner" may have just arrived for all they know, and are just being cautious.

It only increases fear and paranoia, and could lead to violence. While I have heard of the odd issue regarding Thais not serving Chinese since the crisis started, now that the shoe is on the other foot so to speak, I fear an even bigger backlash against a vulnerable target, seeing that we westerners stand out far more than Chinese do, and even more so now, that we seem to be the only foreigners left here (although most of us are expat residents rather than tourists...seems that most Thais have little concept of this).

If everyone were treated equally, there would be no problem. It's never right to discriminate especially when Thais have been known to pick up this virus themselves. What about all the "little ghosts"? Thais should be actively screening everyone, or no one at all. Picking on the lone farang (and it's usually like that, since we farang are rarely to be found in large groups) is intimidating and xenophobic.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

The only silver lining to this is that when this has all cleared up

people will remember all the nasty things the thais said and did.

I am hoping it becomes the centre for China and India tourists.

So the rest of us can enjoy the remainder of the planet.

So are the Indians and Chinese. However I'm convinced that the Pattaya tourist guy's 'come and enjoy Pattaya without the Chinese' will reverberate for a while. Insult one Chinese and you insult them all.

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

Can you imagine if the Government was allowed to determine interest rates prior to a general election?  You need to stop looking for conspiracies and recognise how great our system of Government actually is.  Come back to me in about six months and we can compare how a democratic system of Government has fared compared to a country run by a yob with a few tanks at his command.

Totally agree with you on this point, though this has only been an issue since we removed from the gold standard and entered into a fiat currency.  I dont take much notice of the word conspiracy for example would you consider this girl lying a conspiracy?  Because it was widely believed as so.  You are correct in saying that our system or more specific our foundation of Government is great, not flawless, but great. as is the American constitution.  all western governments have clearly been infiltrated by hostile globalists through the means of ideological subversion see: Yuri Bezmenov.  At the end of the day, in Thailand, my 6 year old son wants to be a Doctor and is trying to figure out what makes species different. While my 7 year old nephew in, Australia, wants to be a football star and is trying to figure out how many genders there are.  

• Like 1

As an Australian with 2 Grandfathers who were veterans of Kokoda during ww2, would like to thank the Thais who risked their lives giving food to Australian POW's who were forced into labor by the Japanese. There is a plaque honoring these Thais in the main park of Ubon Ratchathani.  I trust Thais and everyone here fear mongering about what they may or may not do should head back to their country of birth if not for their own piece of mind.  You clearly don't understand what lies at the base of the Thai soul and are therefore just a tourist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

If you mean Indigenous people I agree with you 100%.  To their shame, I hear many racist slurs about them coming from recent migrants to Australia including quite a few Asians.

Well that's the thing isn't it...why is it surprising to some, that a group of immigrants is racist towards the native population of a country? It happens the world over. There are racist farang living in Thailand, though I'm sure, they're a small minority and there are Asians living in Australia who dislike the native inhabitants, the Aborigines.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

That may be the case. But there is no excuse for rudeness and lets face it, Racism.

These reactions are from people that have never traveled farther than the Coffee machine in their entire lives.

Covid19 has given these people an excuse to try and look important, where before their lives were probably very mundane and ordinary.

I would just treat it with the contempt that it deserves

Cry me a river! do you know for a fact that this official wasn't rude to everyone that day? You surely can't be from where I'm from surely not.  There is no way you grew up in rural Australia right?  As myself and everyone i grew up with consider adopting the victim mentality as pathetic and weak,  especially when all you got was some rudeness and maybe a dirty look, you ever heard of the "stick's and stone's" expression? thought not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Yes....I had a motorcycle taxi moron ask me: "You not gib mee coronavirus, will you?" Yes, I was coughing and the insanity of a mocy driver thinking that my patronage or goodwill would prevent him from getting coronavirus,  is so Thai as to beggar belief.

Coughing is one of the main symptoms of the Coronavirus.

Surely you can't blame a stranger who has just witnessed you coughing and who is about to be in close physical contact with you for several minutes for being a bit apprehensive can you?

If he'd been coughing would you have got on the back of his bike. 

• Like 2