Non-chargeable USB external mini fan power question

Jingthing

Obviously from someone not very technical, so don't laugh.

Anyway my router is running hot so I found a source saying one solution is to blow a fan on it.

So I bought a mini fan powered by USB but it doesn't charge the fan, it just gets powered via the USB.

So I plugged into a USB slot on my all in one computer and indeed it cooled the router and also looked kind of cute doing it.

Then I was informed that running a device like that constantly will overheat the motherboard of laptops and all in ones are similar to laptops.

So now I'm looking for some kind of adapter or perhaps a power plug with USB slots so that I don't need to plug it directly into my PC.

But in looking for such an item, they all say they're about CHARGING the USB devices, not powering them all the time.

So is there another kind of adapter that isn't for charging that's meant for running a USB device constantly or would using the slots designed for charging be OK?

A pointer to a specific item on Lazada would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt very much that the USB will over heat the motherboard.  The power coming out of the USB connector is powered by the plug in power (or battery) and has very little to do with the motherboard - it is the power supply unit that might heat up a little but not enough to cause a serious problem IMO.  I have both my laptops permanently connected to powered USB devices. And I once used such a USB powered fan to cool an Android device - not a problem.  Mayeb run it for a few hours and keep an eye on the laptop - if it is a well made model there wont be a problem IMO.

• Like 1

Well I did notice when I was running it that the computer felt quite warm. I got the warning from someone that I respect for tech knowledge. Just in case I'd prefer to power it separately from the computer. 

The distinction he made about it not being good for the computer involved my intention to run it all the time that the computer is on indefinitely. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just in case you buy a USB charger: Don't buy they cheapest sh%#. Because they are most likely to fail and harm you (not just your fan).

If you keep using the USB port from your computer then you don't have to worry about that.

Harm as in what? 

44 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

All your questions and issues are simply due to misinformation.

Plug it into a wall wart, computer usb, powered hub, it doesnt matter.

Most routers also have a usb port, you could use that.

Definitely not into the router! 

2 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Basic physics tells us that plugging a cooling source into the "over-heated" device actually makes it hotter ... think "... i'll just leave this fridge door open to cool the room a bit ...".

CPU fan ??

• Confused 1

Most points covered by everyone - one more thing.  I also have a router/modem that gets a little hot at times, so what I did was stick together some rubber mounts (about 10cm high) and place one in each of the 4 corners. That increased natural airflow and worked - and it meant I didnt have to run a long usb cable from the laptop to the router and connect the fan I used to use on an old Android device. My advice would be to do that whther you use a fan or not - increases airflow by raising it off the surface.

4 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

if OP is correct in reporting his ''router" is over-heating then whatever cooling set-up isn't working (whether it is internal fan, heatsink, natural ventilation whatever) .

My point is that adding additional cooling to a device with a problem is not wise.

I would give exactly the same advice ("first thing you do ... open it up and clean it") if he reported a heating problem with a fan-cooled CPU or an overheating car or an under-cooling fridge*.

Common sense to first fix the underlying problem. All the discussion of USB fans, wall-sockets, phone chargers etc is imo a distraction and poor advice ... even if an external fan does cool the thing, it is still running hot and i'd consider that a fire risk at best. and at worst a fire risk that OP is actually fanning!!

The OP states router is "running hot" as many routers do in Thailand's high ambient.

Check the device ventilation slots are clean yes but no need for any sweeping physics drama.

The routers USB port and power supply should be capable of supplying basic USB 5V current and that includes a small fan within the current limit placed on the port.

One should also note that most routers have external power supplies dumping the loads switching heat. Most of the heat within the routers case comes from the router chip-set operating at 70C+.

I have a small fan on the office router (ASUS) plugged into its USB port. The internal temp sensor shows a 15-+ deg drop with the fan running.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

if OP is correct in reporting his ''router" is over-heating then whatever cooling set-up isn't working (whether it is internal fan, heatsink, natural ventilation whatever) .

My point is that adding additional cooling to a device with a problem is not wise.

I would give exactly the same advice ("first thing you do ... open it up and clean it") if he reported a heating problem with a fan-cooled CPU or an overheating car or an under-cooling fridge*.

Common sense to first fix the underlying problem. All the discussion of USB fans, wall-sockets, phone chargers etc is imo a distraction and poor advice ... even if an external fan does cool the thing, it is still running hot and i'd consider that a fire risk at best. and at worst a fire risk that OP is actually fanning!!

I get your point that it is common sense in general to address underlying problems than treat symptoms. However if a little fan successfully treats the symptom which it does I have a problem with the assertion that it is still running hot. It would still be running hot without the fan but with the fan it's running cool. 

7 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

"Doctor, i'm running a temperature"

"No problem, grab a fan from reception on your way out. Next!"

... another thread to stop following.

Yeah, I obviously get that but I question whether electronic devices and mammals are the same thing. 

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I tried using the charger from my Amazon Kindle as an adapter. It works. Any issues with that? 

That will work. I've done it many times. The small PC case fans only draw only about 0.2A

Edited by userabcd
  • Thanks 1