Beware of Centipedes

CH1961

A BIL got  whacked twice within seconds by one on his hand and wrist. Even  with maximum doses of antihistamines and painkillers the following day he said he would have no problem if someone would be willing to cut his arm off! I believed him after seeing the agony in his face !

OP...kill the thing ! It is  not easy ! Chickens  do it  best ! But they do drown quickly too I have found. Often !

Worst I have had  is a scorpion bite  which although painful as I now know apparently  is  nothing by comparison to a  centipede bite!

20 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I have a  short video saved somewhere that is an equivalent demonstration of crazy. It does not involve a  centipede. Just a  9mm pistol and a cocky clown testing his nice new flack jacket !  Duh ! A Flack jacket  ain't a bullet proof  vest !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

My sister in law was bitten by one years ago , warning ,it hurts like hell.

Seconded! I got bitten on the foot just a couple of weeks ago in the garden, really hurt - surprising, what was more surprising was when I reacted and it ended up on the other foot and bit that as well! ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was fortunate a couple of years ago,put my trainers on inside the house before going to golf,one didnt feel right,took it off,and gave it a bang on the wall upside down,and a centipede fell out,got rid of it,went to golf,after golf was done,i was sitting putting my socks on in the change room,and noticed my bìg toe had a long black mark on the underside,looked like a cigarette burn on it,i realised then that ii must have been the centipede,i was fortunate that i had thick socks on,otherwise it may have turned out differently,always check inside your shoes before putting them on!!

6 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

My sister in law was bitten by one years ago , warning ,it hurts like hell.

I got bitten at night time in my hotel bed. Yes, it does hurt like hell and took 3 weeks to go back to normal. It felt like I had been hit with a hammer on the back of my hand for over a week.

DSCN0715.JPG

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Good. That fat one that strolls upside down on my balcony dropping lizard turds is my friend then.

We've had a family of up to six living behind a cupboard outside the back of the house. Now and then one gets inside, and wife and I get it back outside - her because she doesn't want it in the house, and me because it wouldn't find much to eat inside. Usually they're orange, not blue.

20161001_062903.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

Lovely photo Bangkok Barry. One of the things I miss about Thailand is the Tookays' mating calls. On the subject of the Thai centipede - avoid them like the virus ! One crawled into my bed in Chiang Dao about 25 years ago and bit me on the ankle. Like the white-tail spider in Oz, it has a necrosing venom. Hurt like hell for a few hours, but a few beers solved that. Then it started to rot. Took about four or five months to finally heal up and I still have the scar today. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Usually they're orange, not blue.

They have the ability to change color based on environment, mood, etc. The males are larger and more brightly colored than females. Snapped this guy in the carport last year.

DSC05824.thumb.JPG.ab0daa48fa5211c6232864846fa7dc0b.JPG

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

They have the ability to change color based on environment, mood, etc. The males are larger and more brightly colored than females. Snapped this guy in the carport last year.

DSC05824.thumb.JPG.ab0daa48fa5211c6232864846fa7dc0b.JPG

Nice capture

6 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Been bitten three times now. Last time just sitting minding my own business and one bit me on the foot. And yes they kin hurt like hell

3 time?!? Now that's what I call "snake-bit"! :biggrin:

10 hours ago, CH1961 said:

The bite is intensely painful, accompanied by substantial local swelling. Other symptoms include fever and nausea.

Is that all. 

When I read the thread title I was thinking you can get corona virus off a centipide.  ????