Pattaya shut down imminent: Bars and clubs brace for closure order

webfact

9 minutes ago, shackleton said:

It's happening world wide bars restaurants clubs ect closing for a certain time period 

Why do people think  Pattaya should be different 

Health before wealth comes to mind 

Are you staying in Pattaya? 

9 minutes ago, bust said:

Coronavirus Australia: Queensland researchers find ‘cure’, want drug trial

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.

University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions wipe out the virus in test tubes.

He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in “disappearance of the virus” and complete recovery from the infection.

Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, said it wasn’t a stretch to label the drugs “a treatment or a cure”.

“It’s a potentially effective treatment,” he said.

“Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy.”

The drugs are both already registered and available in Australia.

“What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we’re going to compare is one drug, versus another drug, versus the combination of the two drugs,” Prof Paterson said.

Given their history, researchers have a “long experience of them being very well tolerated” and there are no unexpected side effects.

“We’re not on a flat foot, we can sort of move ahead very rapidly with enrolling Australians in this trial,” Prof Paterson said.

“It’s the question we all have – we know it’s coming now, what is the best way to treat it?”

RELATED: Follow the latest coronavirus updates

Prof Paterson said positive experiences in the fight against coronavirus have already been recorded overseas, citing China and Singapore. His research team are confident they can start getting the drugs to patients in a very safe way on home soil.

“We want to give Australians the absolute best treatment rather than just someone’s guesses or someone’s anecdotal experiences from a few people,” Prof Paterson told news.com.au.

He said they hope to be enrolling patients by the end of March.

“And that way, if we can test it in this first wave of patients, we do fully expect that there are going to be ongoing infections for months and months ahead, and therefore we’ll have the best possible information to treat subsequent patients,” Prof Paterson said.

“That’s really our aim, to get real world experience in Australia.”

He said the trouble with the data coming from China was that it wasn’t really gathered “in a very controlled way”, given they were the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak at the time.

“Things were just chaotic,” Prof Paterson said.

“There were these emergency hospitals being built and the system really being very, very stretched.”

RELATED: Countries where coronavirus has been confirmed

One of the two medications is a HIV drug, which has been superseded by “newer generation” HIV drugs, and the other is an anti-malaria drug called chloroquine which is rarely used and “kept on the shelf now” due to resistance to malaria.

He said the researchers want to study them in a “very meaningful way” against the coronavirus to “try and alleviate that anxiety of Australians”.

“There have already been patients treated with these in Australia and there’s been successful outcomes but it hasn’t been done in a controlled or a comparative way,” Prof Paterson said.

The drugs would be given orally, as tablets.

Prof Paterson said patients would be asked to participate “as soon as they’re admitted” to hospital with the aim of beginning treatment “very early on in their illness”.

He said the research was sparked by Chinese patients, who were first given the drug in Australia, showing their doctors information on the internet about the treatment used overseas.

“Our doctors were very, very surprised that a HIV drug could actually work against the novel coronavirus and there was a bit of scepticism,” he said.

“That first wave of Chinese patients we had (in Australia), they all did very, very well when they were treated with the HIV drug.

“That’s reassuring … that we’re onto something really good here.”

RELATED: What are the coronavirus symptoms?

RELATED: How to self-isolate due to coronavirus

The RBWH Foundation has established a Coronavirus Action Fund. By Monday afternoon it had raised $30,000 of the desired $750,000 for the clinical drug trials and other related medical research.

“The trials will start as soon as funding is secured,” the fund states.

When asked why they had to put a call out money, Prof Paterson said they “want to give as many people in Australia access to this” and can’t take doctors away from their normal work.

“The reality is that doctors are going to need to be concentrating on their patients and we need to get a very strong research team across Australia that can make sure that all the Is are dotted and the Ts are crossed and make sure that it is a really high-quality study so that we can be really confident in the results,” he said.

“We did this with bushfires, this is an example where we’re reaching out to the public to put the financial support behind the study so it can get underway.

“Fifty hospitals have expressed interest in participating and we expect there may even be more to come.”

Video: Researchers trial drugs that 'effectively kill' coronavirus (7 News)

"The drugs are both already registered and available in Australia."

So what's the problem? Then the article says,they want to do a "large clinical trial". Why,if it worked so well? Seems to good to be true imo. 

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Turning into a huge worldwide "psych op" why didn't they shut down 6 weeks ago, why the need now?

Because six weeks ago they still convinced themselves that nothing could happen in Thailand... hindsight is a wonderful thing... 

In doing nothing six weeks ago they're are about to reap the rewards of ignoring the threat for a few baht back then.

Now they will lose millions.

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"The drugs are both already registered and available in Australia."

So what's the problem? Then the article says,they want to do a "large clinical trial". Why,if it worked so well? Seems to good to be true imo. 

Effective drug combos are going to be key in this crisis but we are probably months way from having tested effective 'cures' and the scale of production necessary. And that against a backdrop of severely impacted supply chains and a medical workforce crumbling under the strain. 

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Because six weeks ago they still convinced themselves that nothing could happen in Thailand... hindsight is a wonderful thing... 

In doing nothing six weeks ago they're are about to reap the rewards of ignoring the threat for a few baht back then.

Now they will lose millions.

Bla bla blabla bla bla. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the point?

I for one have accepted that I'm GOING to get this sooner or later.  Hopefully I'll survive, but I'm going to enjoy myself until then just in case I don't.  It would be a shame to go with "if only" on your mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, moe666 said:

How many people have become ill in Pattaya with the virus, I cannpt recall one case that has been reported on line or in the news paper. Another waste of time. Shut the areas that are causing the problem

Yea but many famous movie stars, sports stars and politicians seem to have all got the Coronavirus last week.....  

5 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Let me tell you...Thailand had a lot of time to turn into Italy.

It didn't.

It was one of the very first countries to 'import' the virus

Corona viruses HATE summer

It's not gonna happen now either.

The heat hypothesis is not fully proven, Australia is in summer and they have twice the cases of Thailand.

The big question is how reliable the Thai infection and death figures are.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

As the last bastion of debauchery falls victim the baht marches on unaffected ????

Very sad news, for traditional sex tourists .

Lady bar , fallen on hard times ..

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Yea but many famous movie stars, sports stars and politicians seem to have all got the Coronavirus last week.....  

Many? I look at it differently, a Hugely disproportionate number of "famous" people were diagnosed, why would that be ????

Could it be that it fits in with "ongoing operations" :wink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If the Thai government shuts down all those places will they pay the wages for the staff for the next months? And will they support the owners to pay the rent?

And just in case the government does not support them: Will they work as freelancers on the streets?

There will no customers for freelancers if the place isn't locked down for a while, Pattaya is a nothing to NYC and LA and they have closed there bars and eating places 

2 minutes ago, Almer said:

There will no customers for freelancers if the place isn't locked down for a while, Pattaya is a nothing to NYC and LA and they have closed there bars and eating places 

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The heat hypothesis is not fully proven, Australia is in summer and they have twice the cases of Thailand.

The big question is how reliable the Thai infection and death figures are.

Agreed

6 hours ago, glennb6 said:

Remember Purachai back in the taxin days? Anutin must be trying to out-do him.

If the govt declares the bars in Pattaya must shut down, stick a fork in it and say goodnight. Property prices will crash, businesses will close and throw people out of work, and crime will increase. Maybe half the locals can take up rice farming again...

I can't believe this is even being considered an option. Govt MIGHT be able to pull this off for a few days or a couple weeks, but if it's longer or indefinite, forget about it.

Yeah, don't we ever remember him? Every time I want to get some beer at a 7-11 or similar venue between 2 PM and 5 PM it brings back not so fond memories of him.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe for you, I am still enjoying myself.

I think it was becoming increasingly unpleasant living in Pattaya, there was an obvious sense of we are not wanted and judging by the recent "avoid the dirty farang" headline from the Government it seems to be nothing has changed. No way to live for myself and family so we got out of there. At the end of the day peoples welfare must always come first, the entire planet is realising this so it will be no different for Thailand, the fact that the tourist industry in Pattaya was already struggling is their own fault, so now they live with the result of their actions. no sympathy from me, cant see Pattaya recovering from this.

6 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

That was way back in 2001, I remember it well, Purachai Piumsombun AKA "Cotton Mather".

And we're still suffering from the alcohol sales only allowed for three hours a day nonsense, 11-2, and then only a few hours during darkness until midnight. I and I'm sure thousands of others have to do their shopping around the few hours we are able to buy alcohol and not make two trips instead of one. And for what?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

probably too drunk to remember MERS, created in 43C - yea viruses don't like the heat lol..

It is a proven fact that virus's do not like the heat. Heat will greatly slow down the transmission of the virus but it does not completely stop it. MERS is actually a good example because it didn't hardly spread at all. Due to it's severity and the extreme heat.

• Like 2