Phuket tourism heavyweights slam government handling of COVID-19, call for overhaul

snoop1130

Phuket tourism heavyweights slam government handling of COVID-19, call for overhaul

By The Phuket News

1584359580_1-org.jpg

A thermoscan camera is set up at one of the terminal entrances at Phuket International Airport. Photo: AoT

PHUKET:-- Nine major Phuket tourism business associations have publicly posted a list of “suggestions” for the government to follow in its response to contain the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, including establishing a non-government command centre and having journalists releasing information to the public, not government agencies.

The public posting of the list of recommendations for the government followed a meeting of the “Big Nine” at the offices of the Phuket City Development Co Ltd, better known by the initials PKCD, on Friday (Mar 13).

Present at the meeting were representatives from the Phuket Chamber of Commerce, Phuket Industry Council, Phuket Tourist Association, Thai Hotel Association Southern Chapter, Phuket Real Estate Association, Patong Hotel Association, Kata Karon Hotel Association and Phuket City Development Co Ltd.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourism-heavyweights-slam-government-handling-of-covid-19-call-for-overhaul-75299.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-16
  • Like 1

The Problem is that I witnessed that some Thais (low income or non-VIP) with symptoms are not tested. They are sent home with a bag of pills and a Viral Pneumonia diagnostic. Then they are told to stay home for 14 days. No further action or follow up. How many stay home for two weeks. Maybe this is changing but it's too late. 

They need to trace all those confirmed. Temperature testers are partially adequate but miss most carriers. 

• Like 1

Given that every form of business on the Pearl of the Andaman relies in one form or other on the number of visitors to the island. And given the remarkably low number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus on the island May I take this opportunity to commend the authorities on handling of the situation. Maybe the rest of the world should follow the Phuket way in containing the problem?

No reports of Phuket people testing positive. Local health personnel told to keep quiet. Temperature is the achilles heel of most viruses. Anything greater than 77 degrees Fahrenheit kills most viruses.

And this is a proven medical fact?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I didnt read it that way at all, and also saw it as more of a criticism of the Goverment's handling of the situation.

Tourism is in crisis all over the world right now and, yes, they might have expressed some upset about flight cancellations and a lack of arrivals but they've done so in a matter of fact manner without resorting to the type of optimistic drivel often spouted by the Tourism Minister.

Yes. No question it is a valid criticism of the leadership. And I agree that they were presenting a far more professional response than we see from central command. My point is simply that a serious hit to tourism is now a given. But, in my very non-professional, suboptimal opinion, it might be better to just shut it all down for a short period until the world has a better handle on things, then decide the way forward. 

12 hours ago, timendres said:

Absolutely. But what I also read was that these people are simply not comprehending the reality of the pandemic, and are still looking for ways to keep people flowing in. It is pure head-in-the-sand nonsense.

Yes, absolutely. The tourist industry is taking a major hit and there is no getting around it.

We need to get over it and stop coming up with complicated and barely workable solutions to allow visitors to to travel to countries for tourism. 

For now tourism is dead in the water, get used to it. I am not just referring to Thailand, its a global problem.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Yes. No question it is a valid criticism of the leadership. And I agree that they were presenting a far more professional response than we see from central command. My point is simply that a serious hit to tourism is now a given. But, in my very non-professional, suboptimal opinion, it might be better to just shut it all down for a short period until the world has a better handle on things, then decide the way forward. 

Depite being in the business I tend to agree. It will only take Russia to impose restrictions and that will kill Phuket tourism for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1