Most Laos land border crossing points now closed

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They did not close them as a restriction on people entering the country as I wrote before.

Check for travel restrictions here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Check Cambodia. 

Myanmar is good at this time.

Can't even find Laos on that list. 

Maybe I'm dumb but this is just a mass of confusion to me. 

Regarding Cambodia:

'All passengers who in the past 14 days have been to, or are originating from France, Germany, Italy, Spain or USA are not allowed to enter or transit Cambodia.'

Originating from means a citizen of, or travelling from? I never understand this stuff lol. 

I've bee in jThailand since Januaty 28th.

I'm English. 

So im ok.. For now..? 

Edited by theVenerable
  • Like 1

Just crossed the bridge from Mukdahan to Savannakhet today at 1130 am today 17 March with US passport, no issues.

Hired a private car to take us over the border, through immigration to our hotel in Savannakhet  1500 baht,  Worth every penny of it to me. 

8 hour drive fro Saraburi was pretty easy, no traffic to speak of. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

Can't even find Laos on that list. 

That is due to them not having any restrictions at this time.

59 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

Regarding Cambodia:

'All passengers who in the past 14 days have been to, or are originating from France, Germany, Italy, Spain or USA are not allowed to enter or transit Cambodia.'

Originating from means a citizen of, or travelling from? I never understand this stuff lol. 

I've bee in jThailand since Januaty 28th.

Originating from means the country that you started your trip from. You have been here so it means nothing to your.

You are good to go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

Just crossed the bridge from Mukdahan to Savannakhet today at 1130 am today 17 March with US passport, no issues.

Hired a private car to take us over the border, through immigration to our hotel in Savannakhet  1500 baht,  Worth every penny of it to me. 

8 hour drive fro Saraburi was pretty easy, no traffic to speak of. 

Thanks.
Can I have the details of the private car?
Maybe they helped you with the immigration process too?
People like me need help lol

11 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

Thanks.
Can I have the details of the private car?
Maybe they helped you with the immigration process too?
People like me need help lol

The front desk at The Riverfront Hotel Mukdahan called him for us.  Didn’t get a name or card.  No help with immigration he just showed us where to go. Hardly anyone at Laos Immigration checkpoint, no que.   Probably any hotel could help you arrange transportation across to Savannakhet. Hope this helps you. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

The front desk at The Riverfront Hotel Mukdahan called him for us.  Didn’t get a name or card.  No help with immigration he just showed us where to go. Hardly anyone at Laos Immigration checkpoint, no que.   Probably any hotel could help you arrange transportation across to Savannakhet. Hope this helps you. Best of luck. 

Thanks so much for the help.
So you aren't doing a border run, you will stay n Laos a while.
I wonder if that's more sensible than coming right back to Thailand or not

2 minutes ago, theVenerable said:

Thanks so much for the help.
So you aren't doing a border run, you will stay n Laos a while.
I wonder if that's more sensible than coming right back to Thailand or not

Getting a Non O (marriage to Thai) visa then going back to our home in the bonnies Saraburi.  I have no other home and rather enjoy it there.  Hope Thailand doesn’t change entry policy for US before Thursday, if so it’s back up ten yards and punt for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They just closed down few small land crossing from Thailand and one airport that has very few international flights.

Most of the closing are from Vietnam to Laos.

I think they may be closing down those few little used crossings so they can free up people to man the busier ones.

The funny thing is that back on Feb 1, Laos opened a brand new crossing in Saiyabuli, opposite Ban Huak in Phayao. The timing couldn't have been worse...I wouldn't be surprised if that crossing closes shortly.

Interesting that it's Thailand's neighbors that have decided to close their borders first. Would have thought Thailand would do come first.

Na Pao is the border crossing with Vietnam...I was just in central Laos earlier this month. The third friendship bridge crossing is at Tha Khaek (also spelled Thakhek) and sometimes referred to as Muang Khammouane.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They just closed down few small land crossing from Thailand and one airport that has very few international flights.

Most of the closing are from Vietnam to Laos.

I think they may be closing down those few little used crossings so they can free up people to man the busier ones.

Savannakhet airport has no direct flights to any international destination. The single international flight to Bangkok, makes a stop in Pakse first in both directions. They recently stopped issuing visas on arrival there, which makes sense, since everyone would be getting one in Pakse.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The bridge in Savannakhet is still open.

I wonder for how long?

I need to do this for a new visa. On my last 90 day entry expiring 10 April now.  Or get a 60 day extension here and hope that's enough until Schengen borders, Covid closed today (France in my case ) reopen. Going over to Savanakhet to get a new non immigrant O multiple entry visa based on marriage one day, only to find it Covid closed the next afternoon, with car on the Thai side,   would be the ultimate nightmare. What to do?

3 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I wonder for how long?

It will not be closed. The only closed a few small little used crossings. It might of been done to free up manpower to be used at larger crossings.

Laos might put some travel restriction in place that would be all they would do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will not be closed. The only closed a few small little used crossings. It might of been done to free up manpower to be used at larger crossings.

Laos might put some travel restriction in place that would be all they would do.

Thanks for the reassurance Ubonjoe.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Thanks for the reassurance Ubonjoe.

Yes. Want to say “thank you” to UbonJoe too. I also need to make the trip to Savannakhet in the next few days. Hearing your words of wisdom is so reassuring. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I wonder for how long?

I need to do this for a new visa. On my last 90 day entry expiring 10 April now.  Or get a 60 day extension here and hope that's enough until Schengen borders, Covid closed today (France in my case ) reopen. Going over to Savanakhet to get a new non immigrant O multiple entry visa based on marriage one day, only to find it Covid closed the next afternoon, with car on the Thai side,   would be the ultimate nightmare. What to do?

To limit the risk, cross in the morning of day one, planning to return as quickly as possible on day two. Usually, any closure would only take place with at least 24 hours notice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, at15 said:

ok good, looking for alternatives to lao. looks like cambodia/myanmar are fine at this point 

i did a visarun yesterday at Phu Nam Ron border 70km away from Kanchanaburi. Very easy without any problems. All done in 45 minutes. 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is friendship bridge 3 that is in Nakhon Phanom.

Mukdahan is bridge number 2,

Is that a faster route to the consulate in Savannakhet? The bus journey from Nakhon Phanom airport to Mukdahan is what made me decide to go to HCMC - too much mucking about.

Just read this health alert issued by the US Embassy Laos:

Event:  On March 17, the Government of Laos declared that individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms entering Laos from a country without a common border with Laos but with more than 100 confirmed cases of COVID-19 are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine after entering Laos.

Individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms who enter Laos from a country with a common border with Laos and from a province of that country that also shares a border with Laos are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine if the province from which they entered has more than 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms who enter Laos from a country with a common border with Laos and from a province of that country that does not share a border with Laos are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine if the province from which they entered has more than 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Lao authorities will send all entrants exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms to a Vientiane hospital for treatment

As I read the alert, I require no quarantine since from a province (Saraburi) that has no cases that I have seen on the tracker or read of.  I entered today at 1130, hope my visa goes smooth and can get back to our house.  All this stress due to my immigration not accepting the 40k method. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not that many for Thailand. About all of them are for Vietnam.

"Those on the Laos-Thai border consist of Namheuang and Nam Ngeun checkpoints in Sayaboury province, and Na Pao checkpoint in Khammuan, as well as Savannakhet International Airport."

Savannakhet airport was about closed already since they stopped issuing visas on arrival.

The only major crossing is the crossing in Nakhon Phanom.

Three are small and little used crossings in Nan, Phayao and Utradit. 

As advice, Nan province crossing - Muang Ngeun on Laos side - stopped visa on arrival last November.  Visa needs to be obtained beforehand. Perhaps, once the technology is in place, the new E-visa might be accepted at that border point.

• Like 1

Yes, US Embassy has issued a statement: https://la.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-vientiane-laos-march-17-2020/

It says: 

Individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms who enter Laos from a country with a common border with Laos and from a province of that country that also shares a border with Laos are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine if the province from which they entered has more than 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

But what does self-quarantine mean? Can we still get a visa and come back next day?????

Anyone know?

9 minutes ago, cms22 said:

Yes, US Embassy has issued a statement: https://la.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-vientiane-laos-march-17-2020/

It says: 

But what does self-quarantine mean? Can we still get a visa and come back next day?????

Anyone know?

It seems to a bit vague. It would of been better if they had given a source for the info.

It just states individuals with no mention if is means Laotians or others.

There re no bordering Thai provinces with more than 3 cases so I guess it would not apply if doing border crossing.

Nothing for Laos is shown here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

8 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Just read this health alert issued by the US Embassy Laos:

Event:  On March 17, the Government of Laos declared that individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms entering Laos from a country without a common border with Laos but with more than 100 confirmed cases of COVID-19 are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine after entering Laos.

Individuals not exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms who enter Laos from a country with a common border with Laos and from a province of that country that does not share a border with Laos are required to undertake 14 days of self-quarantine if the province from which they entered has more than 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

Lao authorities will send all entrants exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms to a Vientiane hospital for treatment

As I read the alert, I require no quarantine since from a province (Saraburi) that has no cases that I have seen on the tracker or read of.  I entered today at 1130, hope my visa goes smooth and can get back to our house.  All this stress due to my immigration not accepting the 40k method. 

Gosh that is the most confusing entry requirement any country has issued, but fortunately, there is to my knowledge no confirmed cases in most of the provinces bordering Laos.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

"Those on the Laos-Thai border consist of Namheuang and Nam Ngeun checkpoints in Sayaboury province, and Na Pao checkpoint in Khammuan, as well as Savannakhet International Airport."

Savannakhet airport was about closed already since they stopped issuing visas on arrival.

In fact, some of those crossings are not for foreigners but only for locals (Thai, Lao and Vietnamese). So you would not have been able to use them anyway.

But the more serious point is that things are impossible to predict. Even though the transmission of Covid-19 seems to be reduced by the hot weather, the extent of this is not known and this situation could change. Look at what happened since last Thursday in Europe! If I were the poster, I would find the place NOW where I would not mind spending a few weeks or months and be prepared to hunker down.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe, could you confirm whether this applies to the third friendship bridge, or the ferry. The latter is only open to Thai and Lao nationals and 3 out of the 4 friendship bridges (the only exception being Nong Khai-Vientiane) also have ferries for locals in addition to the bridges. The bridges require passports or border passes (for restricted travel near the border). My feeling is that locals crossings are being closed, while the international crossings will only close as a last resort.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Ubonjoe, could you confirm whether this applies to the third friendship bridge, or the ferry. The latter is only open to Thai and Lao nationals and 3 out of the 4 friendship bridges (the only exception being Nong Khai-Vientiane) also have ferries for locals in addition to the bridges. The bridges require passports or border passes (for restricted travel near the border). My feeling is that locals crossings are being closed, while the international crossings will only close as a last resort.

Nakhon Phanom is the only crossing mentioned that has a bridge along with boats and a ferry. It could be they have not closed the bridge for crossings for those that are not restricted from doing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Nakhon Phanom is the only crossing mentioned that has a bridge along with boats and a ferry. It could be they have not closed the bridge for crossings for those that are not restricted from doing it.

Thanks. Just saw a new TV post stating that the bridge is still open...they have however closed all the local border crossings. I didn't know there were 4 in that province...thought there was only the ferry from town and the one in That Phanom. Do you know where the other two are located?

25 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

Friends in Vte are telling that the NK-VTE friendship bridge border, presently open, going to be closed soon, lots of local traveling to UDT to stock up food and others.

We suppose to go for a long week end with wife, but our friends told us to wait and see how the situation evolves,  we do not want get locked in Laos.

Well...that's a rumor at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if that happens soon.

What is strange is that it's the Lao side that has been closing all these little crossings (and Malaysia) but not Thailand.