Movement of visitors from high-risk areas to be tracked with mandatory sim and app

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“They still have to remain in self-quarantine at home until the incubation period of 14 days have passed, and this app can tell us exactly where they are at all times.”

Unless they chip the person it is a bunch of comical lip service. Just leave the phone at home and who on earth is going to visit this place knowing you have to quarantine yourself and they will track your every move. The Thai SS. Well maybe the Chinese as they are already used to being told what to do and being tracked on all accounts.

1 hour ago, jany123 said:
2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

They will be chained to their domicile. Up to you! 

i do not travel with a mobile.... and my iPad is a mini, so no sim. Does “up to me?” Mean that you believe I should buy an mobile phone, such that Thailand can implement the tracking of foreigners, that the government has been talking about for some time now?

"i do not travel with a mobile..."

Of course, you don't, who does.

But, even if what you said was really the case, it is up to you.  If you're coming from one of the high-risk countries (you do know that there's a Covid-19 problem, don't you?) and you refuse to comply with the Thai Immigration requirements , you'll be denied entry.  Simple.  And good riddance to anyone who deliberately refuses to comply just for the hell of it.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Of course, you don't.

But, even if what you said was really the case, it is up to you.  If you're coming from one of the high-risk countries (you do know that there's a Covid-19 problem, don't you?) and you refuse to comply with the Thai Immigration requirements , you'll be denied entry.  Simple.  And good riddance to anyone who deliberately refuses to comply just for the hell of it.

Sure... it will look really cool if people are refused entry because they don’t own a phone.... I mean, it’s not as though there aren’t enough anti immigration issues already, is it?

good riddance to those unable to comply with a new and unique rule to Thailand? What a wonderful attitude. F M all, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jany123 said:
10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Of course, you don't.

Sure... it will look really cool if people are refused entry because they don’t own a phone.... I mean, it’s not as though there aren’t enough anti immigration issues already, is it?

good riddance to those unable to comply with a new and unique rule to Thailand? What a wonderful attitude. F M all, right?

No one cares if it looks "cool" or not at the moment, they're trying to limit the Covid-19 outbreak and if you're one of the very few people in the world arriving from high-risk countries who own an iPad but claim not to own a phone then you should be prepared to accept the consequences at Immigration that you have been warned about.  If you really were one of those likely to be affected and you wanted to be stamped in you'd be prepared to meet the IB's requirements.

"good riddance to those unable to comply with a new and unique rule to Thailand? What a wonderful attitude. F M all, right?"

In the current circumstances, absolutely and without reservation, yes.

No international traveler, who has been pre-warned about Thailand's entry requirements, is "unable to comply" with the phone rule. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, jany123 said:
16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It has not been announce by anyone (except some Thaivisa posters) that Thailand is the Covid-19 epicentre.  Get your facts right.

He never said that Thailand was the epicenter... he said Europe. Chill and breath deeply.

Oops, you're right.   On that one.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No one cares if it looks "cool" or not at the moment, they're trying to limit the Covid-19 outbreak and if you're one of the very few people in the world arriving from high-risk countries who own an iPad but claim not to own a phone then you should be prepared to accept the consequences at Immigration that you have been warned about.  If you really were one of those likely to be affected and you wanted to be stamped in you'd be prepared to meet the IB's requirements.

"good riddance to those unable to comply with a new and unique rule to Thailand? What a wonderful attitude. F M all, right?"

No international traveler, who has been pre-warned about Thailand's entry requirements, is "unable to comply" with the phone rule. 

So this message is getting across to all travelers, is it? People have the choice before boarding, do they? Or is it dropped on them on arrival?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, jany123 said:

So this message is getting across to all travelers, is it? People have the choice before boarding, do they? Or is it dropped on them on arrival?

Of course people have the choice whether to travel or not.

I would hazard a guess that those people traveling from the very well-known high-risk areas are not unaware of that, that they read the news and will all have phones with them...with the exception of you on that flight, of course, who seems to think that traveling without a phone these days is quite normal.

Edited by Just Weird

Just now, Just Weird said:

I would hazard a guess that those people traveling from the very well-known high-risk areas are not unaware of that, that they read the news and will all have phones with them...with the exception of you on that flight, of course, who seems to think that traveling without a phone these days is quite normal.

Change change change is unavoidable, it seems.

i never said it was quite normal to not have a phone... but hey... mix it up to make your argument, ... change what I have said, if you must.

but back to it. Are you agreeing that this has not been publicized internationally, and is there local and unusual. I know your a seasoned champion of thainess, but not everything thai is well thought out, I’m afraid, and despite your POV, I still believe this to be an example of ill thought out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Ummm...turn the phone off....change the sim....

Ummm...why would anyone traveling from a known high-risk area, who hasn't got something to hide, do that in the present situation?

Edited by Just Weird

28 minutes ago, jany123 said:
33 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Change change change is unavoidable, it seems.

i never said it was quite normal to not have a phone... but hey... mix it up to make your argument, ... change what I have said, if you must.

but back to it. Are you agreeing that this has not been publicized internationally, and is there local and unusual. I know your a seasoned champion of thainess, but not everything thai is well thought out, I’m afraid, and despite your POV, I still believe this to be an example of ill thought out.

"i never said it was quite normal to not have a phone... but hey... mix it up to make your argument, ... change what I have said, if you must".

I didn't change anything, I said "seems to think...", so, hey, mix it up to make your argument, change what I have said, if you must!

I've no idea whether it has been announced internationally but it's safe to assume that those traveling from the limited high-risk areas that are affected will know that they are likely to be affected when they travel, so perhaps they should check first!

You know about the requirement whether it is "ill-thought out" in your opinion or not, which is irrelevant, so, out of interest, what are you going to do when you arrive here with no phone?

Edited by Just Weird

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I’ve got 2 iPads that I use but my mobile is a Nokia it cost me about  600 baht 8 years ago ,ain’t got no apps or what  just a phone   I don’t go out with my iPads and there are not got sim slots.    Just saying

Edited by Foghorn

Forget all that s***!! A friend arrived with his Thai wife this morning from Germany. Noone asked for that AOT app, no screening etc! He told me it was the usual process, just 10X faster:) 

So that Sim Card is the biggest joke and can`t be implemented. If they forced me, I would put it in my 2nd phone I rarely use and take it out of my phone, as soon as I am in the taxi.

Edited by SpanishExpat

I've posted this on Facebook:

The world's most undemocratic democracy, Thailand, is now banning all foreigners from certain 'high risk' countries who refuse to buy a government-designated SIM card and to download an app to track their movements in the country. Those without smartphones or who refuse to buy the SIM card and download the app are refused entry.

Thailand, therefore, as far as I know becomes the first country in the world to refuse guests who do not want to be tracked by the authorities and/or do not own or want a smartphone.

Thais do not think ahead and have no plan for if a guest agrees to buy the SIM card and then throws it away. Every guest has to report their whereabouts personally or it is done by the place they are staying, but I doubt there is the manpower to chase thousands of nasty foreigners who don't play their silly game.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Virt said:

So how to track those that just leave their phones at home during the quarantine period and still go out? 

It might work for Thais :they can't survive more than 5 minutes without their smartphones :severe separation anxieties. 

Then again :a lot of them have more than one phone. 

How about implanting a chip in their brains. 

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

Is no one sitting around the table brave enough to put their hand up and point out why it's a non-starter?

Not if the one proposing the idea is of a higher rank. That's the way it works in Thailand as well as other parts of Asia. There was one great example some years ago in Bangkok when the person whose job it was to order signalling for the BTS extension beyond On Nut to Bearing didn't do so for fear of making a mistake and losing his pension (he was close to retirement). His staff were aware of it but said nothing because he was the boss, and the result was that the opening of the extension was delayed by a year.

6 hours ago, Virt said:

Maybe a tattoo in the forehead will do. "Quarantined until......"

Better to make all farang wear large sombreros with a big red X on top. This will allow the smart drones to spot them at a distance...

7 hours ago, Virt said:

So how to track those that just leave their phones at home during the quarantine period and still go out? 

These folks aren't the sharpest tacks in the box.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The world's most undemocratic democracy, Thailand, is now banning all foreigners from certain 'high risk' countries who refuse to buy a government-designated SIM card and to download an app to track their movements in the country. Those without smartphones or who refuse to buy the SIM card and download the app are refused entry.

Thailand, therefore, as far as I know becomes the first country in the world to refuse guests who do not want to be tracked by the authorities and/or do not own or want a smartphone.

Thais do not think ahead and have no plan for if a guest agrees to buy the SIM card and then throws it away. Every guest has to report their whereabouts personally or it is done by the place they are staying, but I doubt there is the manpower to chase thousands of nasty foreigners who don't play their silly game.

Interesting times.  And in interesting times the authoritarians come out of the woodwork and dream up ways to monitor those they feel they should control.  With the current virus-stoked fears driving all sorts of Machiavellian dictates and pronouncements to control the masses, we are all assured that these are only in place until the threat has passed.
But authoritarians don't let a good crisis go to waste and controls that are issued during a crisis never seem to ever be completely lifted once in place.
So, it's not a leap of the imagination to foresee enforced tracking of foreigners as something that will become a permanent feature of Thailand's brave new world, post-Covid-19 (for their own welfare and safety, of course).  They tried to roll it out before.  And now they have their hooks in.  Stand-by...  :dry:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Interesting times.  And in interesting times the authoritarians come out of the woodwork and dream up ways to monitor those they feel they should control.  With the current virus-stoked fears driving all sorts of Machiavellian dictates and pronouncements to control the masses, we are all assured that these are only in place until the threat has passed.
But authoritarians don't let a good crisis go to waste and controls that are issued during a crisis never seem to ever be completely lifted once in place.
So, it's not a leap of the imagination to foresee enforced tracking of foreigners as something that will become a permanent feature of Thailand's brave new world, post-Covid-19 (for their own welfare and safety, of course).  They tried to roll it out before.  And now they have their hooks in.  Stand-by...  :dry:

Thailand has always been about control, right from the time girls go to school and must have exactly the same hair style. Serves no practical purpose at all. It's only about control. When the police come round and close bars early, for no practical reason and only because they can, it's about control. But where there should be control, like wearing helmets and driving on the correct side of the road, there's none. Strange country, Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

seems they are not willing to close the place down - I have news for them, nobody is travelling to Thailand based on advice from their home countries

It's actually rather humorous to watch the 'leaders' around the globe pinching their noses and then pointing at all the other countries around them as they issue bans and restrictions which the other countries then turn around and issue against them. 
"We're gonna monitor your citizen!"
"Fine, we're gonna ban your citizens!"
"Well, we're gonna double-dog ban all your citizens - and - monitor those currently in country!"
"Go ahead - we're gonna round up all your citizens and intern them!"

The world's gone bonkers!  It will be interesting to see to just what degree in the none too future.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand has always been about control, right from the time girls go to school and must have exactly the same hair style. Serves no practical purpose at all. It's only about control. When the police come round and close bars early, for no practical reason and only because they can, it's about control. But where there should be control, like wearing helmets and driving on the correct side of the road, there's none. Strange country, Thailand.

Agreed.  Misplaced control.  If they'd put cops in patrol cars and enforce First World traffic policing standards including fines and sanctions that actually get the attention of the traffic violators, they'd cut the slaughter and carnage on the roads and come into line with first world statistics.
How about having cops that rigorously patrol the countryside and enforce burn bans and actively apprehend arsonists!  Whoa!  The air might actually clear!
But - no.  We need those police to monitor and track evil foreigners and investigate the marriages of men marriage to Thai women for over a decade or longer (tricky foreigners probably be faking the marriage no doubt), and now monitor and track foreigners in real-time! We need those police to bust the plebs chewing kratom or having a beer in the mid-afternoon after 2PM or smoking in a bathroom. We need those police to man roadblock to shake-down motorcyclists for cash.  Enforce moving violations?  You've got to be kidding!  
Yep.  Misplaced control. In the meantime Thailand kills more people on the roads than virtually all other countries and it has about the worst air in the world.  But they have the next generation of the indoctrinated all lined up obediently looking like they were pressed out using the same cookie cutter.  And no doubt they are all trained to fear and loathe foreigners.  
Kudos LOS!  Mission accomplished! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

seems they are not willing to close the place down - I have news for them, nobody is travelling to Thailand based on advice from their home countries

I know many folks who are rushing to thailand.

I just rented my house on one of the southern islands to germans for the next 2 months.

A good freind if mine has just booked rush air tickets to thailand from angola, things in south africa (best nearby healthcare are a concern and borders are closing fast.

Another freind in jakarta, is planning to ride it out in their island home.

Quite a few people are choosing to fly here to ride it out, I cannot jusge whether they ate right or wrong.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What do you want,a medal, or likes?

As for worlds most undemocratic country, have you fact checked that?

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Agreed.  Misplaced control.  If they'd put cops in patrol cars and enforce First World traffic policing standards including fines and sanctions that actually get the attention of the traffic violators, they'd cut the slaughter and carnage on the roads and come into line with first world statistics.
How about having cops that rigorously patrol the countryside and enforce burn bans and actively apprehend arsonists!  Whoa!  The air might actually clear!
But - no.  We need those police to monitor and track evil foreigners and investigate the marriages of men marriage to Thai women for over a decade or longer (tricky foreigners probably be faking the marriage no doubt), and now monitor and track foreigners in real-time! We need those police to bust the plebs chewing kratom or having a beer in the mid-afternoon after 2PM or smoking in a bathroom. We need those police to man roadblock to shake-down motorcyclists for cash.  Enforce moving violations?  You've got to be kidding!  
Yep.  Misplaced control. In the meantime Thailand kills more people on the roads than virtually all other countries and it has about the worst air in the world.  But they have the next generation of the indoctrinated all lined up obediently looking like they were pressed out using the same cookie cutter.  And no doubt they are all trained to fear and loathe foreigners.  
Kudos LOS!  Mission accomplished! :thumbsup:

How about adressing the virus outbreak instead of moaning about these other long standing issues?