Stick or twist - to stay or not to stay?

15 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Heading back home Monday.  I hope immigration/borders stay under control until I board my flight.  Things may end up being bright and rosy to hunker down and ride it out here, but odds are less risky (for me) back home.   Risky as in too many Thai style variables with no definitive rules of engagement here, during this global "challenge" .  Visa/extensions?  CV health coverage?  Lock-downs?  Maneuverability?  Potential social/civil unrest?  I booked a visa appointment for Tuesday in Vientiane to renew my 90 day, but I'm dumping it.   Too many unforeseen/potential "hurdles".   Some peace of mind to check in on my folks and sons, make sure they're all prepped, sorted and have some support. 

Arrive, do 14 days of isolation drinking the odd pint, clean out the cobwebs, rake the lawn, fire up the hot tub.  Not sure how I'll stock the fridge and cupboards yet (depending on isolation requirements), but I'll figure it out.  The wife is organized here, house is in a secure compound, busy schedule at work (healthcare), bills are paid.  Kids school is paid and there's more food and supplies in the house than there is in the local 7-11.   She's organized prepped and family support is close by.  

as I don't leave to re up I'm staying here. I personally believe Canada dropped the ball big time and is in for a world of hurt, though I'm wishing for the best. I hope you personally make out ok and your family and  with what the cbc is saying today, food shopping will not be interrupted so your grocery run should be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Drew3223 said:

Do you mind if I ask if this  is informed by personal experience? UI only ask so I can make the best decision. been coming here for many years, quite a big expat population, and the tourist numbers have been drying up for years, not just now.

No, not from personal experience. Just something I think may be possible and one of the many things I would consider.

There are going to be a lot of Thai people out of work in the very near future and they all need to eat. No money and hungry people is not a good combination. The Thai smiles will evaporate very quickly. Will there be a backlash against white foreigners - I don't know, but from some of the comments made by a certain government minister I think any sympathy will go to the Thais not any farang.

20 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Very much a personal decision. I've made mine as you can see in the above post. If I had to travel to the UK my decision would probably be to stay in Thailand as the sh!t is getting real over there, and by all reports will be getting much worse. Australia's not too bad at present so I'll take my chances there. We live out in the bush, on a small farm like you do, and not in a city so hopefully we will be ok.

I guess we are both in the fortunate position of being able to have a choice to make. There will be many forum members who will not have any choices to be made and will have to ride out the storm here in Thailand.

As you say, a personal decision. I assume you are aware you will have to quarantine yourself for two weeks.

I'm staying. I can isolate myself in Chiang Rai. The odds are 70% in favor of not getting it. If I do get it, there's a 95% chance I'll survive. I've loaded up with zinc and paracetamol, plus an air purifier running 24/7 in my condo. Plus I'm naturally anti-social.

I'm due to go back to Oz in August (deferable) and my retirement extension is not until November.

There's no sign of panic buying in Chiang Rai. If anything, the shelves are overflowing because many Thais here have no money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

As you say, a personal decision. I assume you are aware you will have to quarantine yourself for two weeks.

I'm staying. I can isolate myself in Chiang Rai. The odds are 70% in favor of not getting it. If I do get it, there's a 95% chance I'll survive. I've loaded up with zinc and paracetamol, plus an air purifier running 24/7 in my condo. Plus I'm naturally anti-social.

I'm due to go back to Oz in August (deferable) and my retirement extension is not until November.

There's no sign of panic buying in Chiang Rai. If anything, the shelves are overflowing because many Thais here have no money.

Yes, very aware of the isolation requirements. We'll transit through Sydney to NQ. Not a real hassle for us as we live on a 20 acre block in the bush, so even though we cant leave there is plenty to do and plenty of space to do it in. I've got a bit of maintenance that I've been avoiding for a while (like about 5 years!!) that I can do. Not much different to the aftermath of a decent cyclone. We lost power for a week after Yasi and the roads were cut for quite awhile. Daughter is asking me to bring back toilet paper for her!!

We have a bum gun so not problems there.

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

If you get COVID-19 and need to be in an ICU, I shudder to think how much it might cost.

There is a thread elsewhere where an infected Thai man got changed 100k just for a normal bed. So x4 for foreigner x4 again for ICU. Better have 2 million.

ICU is 50k a day but i doubt one will be available

Can only comment that when in doubt, go home, if you can. There is no NHS or anything health-wise in LOS for a foreigner without lots of $$$, if one is seriously ill. That being said, you sound young - but the other readers seem to have all missed the bit where you said "I am not interested in Thai girls" - so I must ask 'just why did you even come here to LOS, - to avoid a UK winter' ? Personally, I am now in Oz, near a tiny country town with only 1500 folks and the town supermarket (only one) has been cleaned out of over 50% of everything - (dumb buggers). I am ex-military (Infantry/Para Officer) and I think that the govt. - every govt. that is - is not being entirely 'truthful' with us about the real danger/extent of this. Additionally, I have a much younger Thai wife and kids that I adore, but I also have a farm (thoroughbreds) to run. So far, we are OK and this illness does not seem to have affected my horses. Whatever you decide, I think you will be just fine. A friend told me "viruses can not live in alcohol" - he may have a point.

• Like 1

Have you considered your insurance, are you covered for a Pandemic and will you be covered if you extend your stay.
Hospitals (even public hospitals) can be very expensive.

I suggest keeping your visa up to date, in the event of a spot check you will not enjoy the detention centre and if you make it to the airport, a two month overstay will incur a 20,000 baht fine and possible ban.

8 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Can only comment that when in doubt, go home, if you can. There is no NHS or anything health-wise in LOS for a foreigner without lots of $$$, if one is seriously ill. That being said, you sound young - but the other readers seem to have all missed the bit where you said "I am not interested in Thai girls" - so I must ask 'just why did you even come here to LOS, - to avoid a UK winter' ? Personally, I am now in Oz, near a tiny country town with only 1500 folks and the town supermarket (only one) has been cleaned out of over 50% of everything - (dumb buggers). I am ex-military (Infantry/Para Officer) and I think that the govt. - every govt. that is - is not being entirely 'truthful' with us about the real danger/extent of this. Additionally, I have a much younger Thai wife and kids that I adore, but I also have a farm (thoroughbreds) to run. So far, we are OK and this illness does not seem to have affected my horses. Whatever you decide, I think you will be just fine. A friend told me "viruses can not live in alcohol" - he may have a point.

Wow 1500 people....the big smoke. Ha ha.

Nearest place to us is 400 people! We would dream of having a supermarket! Nearest one is a 120k round trip.

I do agree that the true extent of what may happen is being kept from the general population for a variety of reasons, one being that the virus is pretty well uncontrollable from a government perspective and they don't want the public to panic. They need to be seen as being in control even when they are not.

Looking at the UK as it slips into an increasing travel and social lock-down versus Thailand in a similar, inevitable travel and social lock-down, I would chose to be locked down in the country where I already have certain inalienable and undeniable rights. Island life, the weather and £200/m rent is NOT a significant determining factor IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Looking at the UK as it slips into an increasing travel and social lock-down versus Thailand in a similar, inevitable travel and social lock-down, I would chose to be locked down in the country where I already have certain inalienable and undeniable rights. Island life, the weather and £200/m rent is NOT a significant determining factor IMHO.

Your using big words for me.

If it means get out of dodge and return to home country, then I get it.

Some folk will remain in Thailand. Mostly married etc. 

Also many expats have sold house/car etc not simple option. I was about to take a time out in OZ then the gov introduced 14 day self quarantine. Stuff that.

I'm in bkk cafe with a beer. Think sit it out.

For tourists ..get out now. 

I just checked AirAsia to Melbourne flights.

Have available till Friday. Then nothing.

Remain here as tourist crazy. Run!

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your using big words for me.

If it means get out of dodge and return to home country, then I get it.

Some folk will remain in Thailand. Mostly married etc. 

Also many expats have sold house/car etc not simple option. I was about to take a time out in OZ then the gov introduced 14 day self quarantine. Stuff that.

I'm in bkk cafe with a beer. Think sit it out.

For tourists ..get out now. 

I just checked AirAsia to Melbourne flights.

Have available till Friday. Then nothing.

Remain here as tourist crazy. Run!

You got my drift.

If I was single, I would be still back in the UK trying to leverage whatever freebies the NHS can dish out.

However, I have a life and family in Thailand which is why I am literally dodging the bullet on an 11th-hour visa run in Savannakhet so I can stay with them a bit longer.

As for beer... I discovered this wee gem tonight.

beerlaoIPA.thumb.jpeg.daa079e103b4aec943e2c6463b7750c9.jpeg

K. Final request for advice. I'm thinking currently to extend my return flight to end of April. See what happens back home. I can easily stock up for a month, pay the overstay fine ,etc. But the risk, is whether flights back home will still be going.

I have not seen any imminent warnings from the UK foreign office about getting my butt home. That is what would certainly spur me to get a move on.

I am kind of relying on this climate doing half the job with displacing the virus. That's why it feels instinctively safer here for me.

5 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

K. Final request for advice. I'm thinking currently to extend my return flight to end of April. See what happens back home. I can easily stock up for a month, pay the overstay fine ,etc. But the risk, is whether flights back home will still be going.

I have not seen any imminent warnings from the UK foreign office about getting my butt home. That is what would certainly spur me to get a move on.

I am kind of relying on this climate doing half the job with displacing the virus. That's why it feels instinctively safer here for me.

Glad to hear you've finally made your mind up..

On 3/17/2020 at 5:16 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you have no work or family commitments back in the uk then you can stay , but you have to figure that this could go on for longer than 2 months so if any longer is a problem then you should head home.

I agree , it does appear to be safer here but that could change even though I don’t think we will see the level of panic that appears to be happening in the uk,  of course self isolation on a Thai island is preferable to a farm in Neath ( no disrespect intended ).

Difficult to answer your question, there have been other similar threads, as we all have a different point of view or level of commitment to here or our home country.

I don’t believe anyone can answer your question other than yourself !!

You have to weigh up the pro and the cons of each country, bearing in mind the 2 months could stretch out longer .

If you have the resources and medical insurance I would stay. I'm stuck in Austria as our airport closed. It is no fun in Europe.

There are some good point about Thailand in this situation,

1. Hot weather, slower spread

2. private hospitals, if you need it

3. lots of food, maybe shortages in western countries

4. Younger population, less infected people

5. More medicine, thailand produces their own

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Drew3223 said:

...I have not seen any imminent warnings from the UK foreign office about getting my butt home. That is what would certainly spur me to get a move on...

The UK government has no authority to order your to cut your visit to Thailand short and return to the Uk, but it has the authority to issue this travel advice I read just now:

"COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice."

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

What did you decide to do and how quiet is it on Koh Pha-ngan?

I am in a similar situation in Koh Samui.  Most tourists have gone home now and in Chaweng most hotels at 20% occupancy or lower and planning to close this week or next.

Worst case I could stick it out in a rented accommodation and food from 7/11.  

Right now that seems better than heading back to catastrophe that is unfolding in the UK.

US has issued global level 4 Health Advisory. The main two points are

• Consider returning to your country of residence immediately using whatever commercial means are available.
  • Have a travel plan that does not rely on the U.S. Government for assistance.

On 3/19/2020 at 2:19 AM, Don Chance said:

There are some good point about Thailand in this situation,

1. Hot weather, slower spread

2. private hospitals, if you need it

3. lots of food, maybe shortages in western countries

4. Younger population, less infected people

5. More medicine, thailand produces their own

These, except number 4 that I didn't think about, have weighted heavily in my decision-making process...

High level of care or free <deleted> does NOT count when the capacity is overwhelmed!

Realizing that one might not make it personally early on, and then closely watching what is actually playing out is what gives one the best odds...

A good opportunity for learning calmness and a more asian outlook on the world ????