What would happen to us foreigners if or when the country gets sealed up?

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Your expectations in your post exceed possible limits in Thailand. This government does not understand anticipation, forward planning, contingencies etc etc. Knee jerk is the only response (and wearing a useless mask).

You 'r right , but I try anyway to anticipate as it is in my Western genes....5555

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

How do the Thai authorities deal with us? 

Most likely as they have been dealing with Italians since their home country's lockdown: initial 30-day extensions granted on the spot, with subsequent 30-day extensions, if needed, backed up by an Embassy letter. See this recent thread:-

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering that too since right now my One-year Extension based on marriage (O visa) was accepted at my local immigration about three weeks ago and was sent to Chiang Mai for final approval. This is the usual process. I'm worried, however, that as things start going downhill, the processing in Chiang Mai might grind to a halt.

I now have an temporary extension until mid-Apr when I am then supposed to go back in to get my actual extension, but what would happen if Chiang Mai just stopped processing these types of requests? ????

1 minute ago, billsmart said:

I'm wondering that too since right now my One-year Extension based on marriage (O visa) was accepted at my local immigration about three weeks ago and was sent to Chiang Mai for final approval. This is the usual process. I'm worried, however, that as things start going downhill, the processing in Chiang Mai might grind to a halt.

I now have an temporary extension until mid-Apr when I am then supposed to go back in to get my actual extension, but what would happen if Chiang Mai just stopped processing these types of requests? ????

Someone i know in Phuket has just recieved theirs back, however it was almost a month later than the date they were supposed to go back for the final stamp, so there seems to be a backlog, at least in Phuket

• Thanks 1

1 - contact your embassy. I contacted mine. They guarantee that the Thai immigration will extend your visa or permit for 30 days with a letter released by the embassy, until you can get away from here.

2 - some countries (like mine) are organizing special flights to reimpatriate their citizens stuck abroad; so contact your embassy also for this

P.S. : these are direct information got from my embassy , not second-hand rumors

I'm due to renew my 1 year extension based on marriage in May.

What happens if everything is locked down by then? 

One thing is certain, the Immigration Offices are so packed with people there is a very high risk of infection. In a serious outbreak they would almost certainly have to shut them down.

13 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Why do people ask these questions? Do posters really expect other posters to know the answers?

The simple truth is until announcements are made nobody knows 

I never really EVER thought I would say this. I really miss Donald Trump bad man stories. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Svadhistana said:

1 - contact your embassy. I contacted mine. They guarantee that the Thai immigration will extend your visa or permit for 30 days with a letter released by the embassy, until you can get away from here.

2 - some countries (like mine) are organizing special flights to reimpatriate their citizens stuck abroad; so contact your embassy also for this

P.S. : these are direct information got from my embassy , not second-hand rumors

Would have been helpful to many If you mentioned your country. 

Edited by alex8912

How can anyone on here answer that?  We are all in the same boat. All we can do now is wait. Now Chinese are the only Nationality that can get special permission to stay in Thailand with a letter from their embassy. If and when they will extend that to others is something nobody knows. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

Thailand is not in lock-down at present.

In other countries that have gone into partial lock-down, we have seen that foreigners are still allowed to leave as long as flights or other modes of transport are available.

This is the information distilled by the French authorities concerning the French who are currently in Thailand:
"During his address to the French on March 16, 2020, the President of the Republic announced that the borders at the entrance to the European Union and the Schengen area would be closed from Tuesday March 17 at noon for 30 days. The measure to close the external borders concerns all countries outside the European Union, the Schengen area and the United Kingdom.

At this stage, the French who are currently in Thailand can take regular airlines if they wish to return to France. The airspace is not closed. "

14 hours ago, david555 said:

Better start looking for prices air or sea freight just incase ,or  sharing a container for some expats with plenty to valuable to leave behind ?

As nothing predictable anymore as border runners already in problems because closed borders rapports already .

You might be able to get a cheap world cruise? The problem with ship should is they are Petri dishes for the virus. 

30 minutes ago, peterrabbit said:

I'm due to renew my 1 year extension based on marriage in May.

What happens if everything is locked down by then? 

One thing is certain, the Immigration Offices are so packed with people there is a very high risk of infection. In a serious outbreak they would almost certainly have to shut them down.

It might time to use an agent, just to avoid having to spend all day in a crowded immigration office.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

You might be able to get a cheap world cruise? The problem with ship should is they are Petri dishes for the virus. 

Take cargo ship , they take passengers.... but not me as I get easy sea sick lol .

But seriously what would cost a container to Europe , not the biggest size...,or even a shared m3 (cubic meters ?) as it could get  nasty , example me : I have a whole apartment furnished from zero to full .

Not urgent but keeping it  in mind 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife will need to be with you to apply for a 60 day extension to visit her.

Marriage certificate plus a copy of it, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

I tried to do this once in Udon, gave up trying to explain i just wanted an extension. I need to exit in may.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:
8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you have a problem and you know the answer, you don't have a problem.

If you have a problem and you don't have the answer, worrying won't make any difference.

Wait it out and see what develops. My experiences of life indicate that things that we worry about are rarely as bad as we perceive them to be.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

The answer is; at midnight we all self destroy, gone in a puff of smoke. 

Then there is definitely no point in worrying. ????

• Like 1

You cannot turn a National away from his home country (supposing he can get there)

What you do with them then is up to the country, possiblty total isolation for a month.

Those of us who have chosen to stay put in Thailand will be governed by the rules of the country.

You have any other thoughts ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Whatever Thailand decides to do about people in your situation, you're biggest difficulty is going to be finding and airline that either hasn't folded or is actually running flights.  Nobody's going to run a flight with no passengers.

The situation brought about by the virus, if it leads to a total lockdown, will no doubt lead to quite a few people who have been living in Thailand on visas that are not for that purpose, having to return to their home countries (if they can).

I'm on non o from savanaket & need a border hop every 90 days,  worrying about what might happen is unhealthy,  just pay attention & deal with things if & when they arise

• Like 1

A couple of days ago there was news about Thai immigration giving 30 day extensions to anyone who's flight back home is cancelled due to lock down (it was talked about here in TV but don't remember the specifics). Just assuming/speculating they would continue to do so? As from what I remember, you do need to get papers from your embassy for that purpose first.

I also have a flight back to my home country in May, but the whole of Europe is in shut down and possibly will be so in May too. Airlines would give the option to postpone the flight to a later date, so I'm hoping that Thai immigration would keep extending +30 days for anyone who's stuck here for this reason. I'm not sure what other options there could really be? Would presume Thailand has to go into lock down and close it's borders at some point as well and then we would probably get more info.

50 minutes ago, natway09 said:

You cannot turn a National away from his home country (supposing he can get there)

What you do with them then is up to the country, possiblty total isolation for a month.

Those of us who have chosen to stay put in Thailand will be governed by the rules of the country.

You have any other thoughts ?

India has just done exactly that for their nationals trying to return home from EU/UK/Turkey.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/government-prohibits-entry-of-passengers-from-eu-turkey-uk-from-march-18/articleshow/74657194.cms

36 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Ah, but to qualify that, the article does say that:

"it would not allow entry to even Indian passport holders residing in the United Kingdom, Turkey and whole of Europe till the end of March".

It's not talking about denying entry to Indians who are resident therein. They will be allowed entry, but will have to go into quarantine. They are applying the same WHO recommendations they are here.

Edited by Moonlover

18 hours ago, david555 said:

Even those with proper visas example 1 year ret ext . can not be sure in such case if the immigration high boss keep those extension's  running 

I'll worry about it in November.

20 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Why do people ask these questions? Do posters really expect other posters to know the answers?

The simple truth is until announcements are made nobody knows 

Do you imagine that Thai Immigration knows either? I guarantee they have not got a clue what they are going to do with this.