Officials forecast 400,000 COVID-19 cases in Thailand

webfact

13 minutes ago, cryo said:

Government running out of options and money. Virus control is already known to seriously seesaw with more infections and closedown by using lock down as was shown in the Spanish flue epidemic but lessons are never learnt when commerce come first.

They've been pulling in a mere 20-30 cases a day for a while now 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You're talking about the respirator masks but most people aren't not wearing that variety.

Issues with them --

Expensive

Should be custom fitted, the public generally doesn't do that

At least half the people don't wear them properly

They restrict breathing and are not practical to wear for long periods of time

For people with breathing issues like asthmatics they are not practical to wear at all

N95 respirators (3M, NIOSH approved) with a valve were about 25Baht apiece until the gougers decided to buy up supply for resale.  These respirators are very comfortable; easy breathing.  Yes, you have to fit test the respirator, as Jingthing has said, but there are videos on YouTube showing you how to do it (not difficult).

I bought 10 pieces in early February at an already-inflated 50Baht each.  These respirators then increased in price to over 300Baht apiece and even at that price people bought; now, generally not available anywhere.  You will always find the equivalent of war profiteers in any crisis; they'd sell their mother for another satang.

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jojothai said:

You better get out to the supermarkets to stock up.

Some photos from Villa market Sukhumvit soi 26 yesterday. Toilet paper gone and canned food nearly cleared out.

Set for 2-3 months, e.g. instead of having a spare of everything usually, it was then 2 of everything, then we said, well with 4 kids on school holidays now, better make that 3 of everything.

45 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

I was in a bar last night and I was saying to my friend that all the fans in bars would add to spreading anything around in the air which one would think would increase the rate of infection, but Pattaya isnt even on the radar for this virus as far as I have seen (no STATISTICS from what I have seen). 

Currently, the evidence doesn't support aerosol transmission of the virus. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, smiggley said:

16000 deaths should be acceptable after all that is less than the current road deaths.

With your attitude you are for sure one of those who would get those figures worse.

46 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

If it's a serious question, Lazada have some knock-off N95's (with replica 3M respirators) that seem effective and not outrageously effective.

It is a serious question. But because it's serious I don't think it makes sense to buy any knock-off products.

I want masks which offer real protection, not mask which are supposed to give me the feeling that they might work.

• Like 1

Well they also put 5,500 girls out of work yesterday & most have jumped buses to their villages.

potentially helping spread the virus to the whole country.

Now with only restaurant/bars allowed to stay open already I have seen one shoulder to shoulder
with guys that would normally sit quietly in a bar of 6 keeping their distance.

Street bar carts will be out early tonite so more urea & excretment smells in the air tomorrow.

They just have no Government Departments to enforce anything. I will stop NOW befor I get myself into trouble

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:
6 hours ago, dukeandduke said:

Wonderful.  "Officials" say this.  As opposed to all of the doctors who say otherwise, unless you're sick, a health care worker, etc.

please explain how masks protect health care workers but no-one else? do they have special mask super powers or something?

The explanation is very easy and says that you not have understand. Surgical masks are used of hospital people, not to protect them selves, but to give some protect the patients if the hospital people have any kind of infectious disease.

6 hours ago, dukeandduke said:

Wonderful.  "Officials" say this.  As opposed to all of the doctors who say otherwise, unless you're sick, a health care worker, etc.

yes, if you're sick, which you won't know.....its being preventative for others Im thinking

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The first scenario, which health officials believe is most likely, is that up to 400,000 people will become infected with the virus by the end of 2020 and that after an initial spike in cases, the number of infections will settle, with the virus becoming a seasonal disease like common influenza. This prediction is based on each infected person going on to infect a further 1.6 people

One month ago they said everything was under control?

I guess that was fake news?

• Like 1

400,000 end of next year it will be that by September most Thais don’t wash their hands when they go to the toilet next time your in one of the shopping malls spend 10 minutes observing in the toilets I would say 1 in 10 wash their hands the rest just look in the mirror squeeze a zit and walk out. I used to use a particular sushi bar until I witnessed one of the chefs using the toilet and walking straight out without going near the washing facilities.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Ponder this in the past 20 years think of all of the bloody pandemics, aids, flu's you name it. Any countries ever lock down because of it, NO! Just a little odd that with President Trump in office everyone is loosing their minds.

This virus has a long incubation period which increases the contagiousness dramatically. Respirators and ICU beds are not available as the supply chain set up by the globalists to purchase "make to order" from the one source who cannot. You acknowledge the apple and compare it with oranges to make some bs conspiracy narrative. Not very useful. When this is over the people will reject the global open border bs, and start returning to self sufficiency. In the meantime how many will die as a result of the greed of a few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

400,000 end of next year it will be that by September most Thais don’t wash their hands when they go to the toilet next time your in one of the shopping malls spend 10 minutes observing in the toilets I would say 1 in 10 wash their hands the rest just look in the mirror squeeze a zit and walk out. I used to use a particular sushi bar until I witnessed one of the chefs using the toilet and walking straight out without going near the washing facilities.

Strangely enough, they wash their bum though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dblh said:
5 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

That is less than the flu.

Influenza kills about 380 000 every year based on study about last 10 years. This frigging lock down should be annual. Some people wants the whole world into recession and they did it very well. Swine flu got very close on 2009 but still influenza is top of the list. Get real!

Yes, lets get real, and that is that a lot of people die of the flue, true. But it is also true that a lot of people have build up an immunity to the common flue over those years. Corona is a new virus, noone nows where it is going to end, how many it will kill or if it will  be here forever, or be annually, or if there will be find a medicine aginst it or if it just going to stop of some reason. Noone knows, so please step down from your big horse, understand that you no nothing, and get real.

The experience in China is an infection rate of about 30% of the population. Doing the math on the Thai population, the "experts" are saying it will be only 8.6%. Sounds quite optimistic to me.

Based on a death rate of 3%, looks like they'll need 12,000 ICU's.

I wear a mask due to the crappy air in Chiang Rai. Protection from the virus is MAYBE a side benefit. Keeping the hands clean is far more important.

22 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

most Thais don’t wash their hands when they go to the toilet

This is mostly true from what I have seen. But, many of the toilets don't have soap anyway so whats the point.

The outward nose picking digging for gold is another one.

They cover their mouth when they toothpick teeth, yet blatantly pick their nose, look at it, and wipe it someplace. 

25 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Why? How about those who choose and can afford to self-insure?

All and good, as long as the amount of time and funds put aside self insuring is greater than what it could cost if you were hospitalised with the Covid-19 as I hear it could cost upwards of 100k or 15,000 a night in ICU + this and + that, regardless, I would prefer to have cover vs out of pocket as I haven't self insured for 2 years and that would basically go on that anyway.

4 hours ago, JCP108 said:

So, can someone please tell me...when I do my border run in a few days to re-up my 90 days on my multi-entry visa, how will I "show a medical certificate to prove" I "do not have COVID-19?" I have no symptoms. So, even if I have access, I don't think I will be given a test. Also, I understand the tests are not immediate. So, if I can get a test, how to time it so it's good in the window?

You imagine a Thai official will have thought that through ? ???? 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Where did you get the piece of info?

I'm Chinese,many cities and companies have resumed normal activities,but students are still studying at home.We still wear masks everyday when go out.

• Like 1