Officials forecast 400,000 COVID-19 cases in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

How can people get a certificate that they don't have it?!? 

Tests are not on demand. They are only for people with either symptoms or an obvious direct exposure. 

They may as well just totally ban entries from their blacklist nations. 

Ironically Thailand will be on many lists as well. 

Exactly J T and who would you get a cert' from .. No chance getting an appt with the Doctor right now unless its absolutely life or death .. 

And test kits at the moment in Britain are dedicated to those already in hospital or exhibiting symptoms .. 

• Like 1

Whose fault will this be? Shut down the BTS, MRT and Buses. Reduce traffic one way in the AM and the other way in the PM.  Taxis only and they need to be trained in how to disinfect their cars.  Gov. also needs to subsidize participating taxis, lowering fares.  

Edited by jlwilliamsjr18
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why believe anything this report comes out with.   It starts off by saying 400,000 infections by the end of next year (that's 2021) and half a dozen lines later claims there will be 400,000 the end of 2020 (that's current year).

Also 400,000 (or around 5%) of the population is the good news.

Please clarify Mister Editor.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just hope those farangs who can afford private health and don't have it, get some real soon.

Try. if your over 70 and been in thailand since 1978     Those   Farangs are devils. ,  and those Chinese. are Nice people. ,was at the airport at  Pataya.  ,police had to stop fight.  ,Quiz.  who was fitting. ?   worst than any zoo iv ever been to 

• Confused 2

39 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

What a bunch of jerk offs. They have no freaking idea. 400K? 10 million? 16 million? Common. Come up with solution, not stupid predictions that have no basis in fact.

To be honest many western countries media are doing the exact same thing so they are just copying. There are many trendy Corona virus what if stories everywhere. The Boston Globe says 120+ million Americans MIGHT get it. I’m sure The NY Times and Wash Post and of course the Corona News Network CNN all do it. It very trendy and sells!  

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

DONT WEAR  A  MASK

You continue to persist in spite of ample evidence you're wrong or at least over-simplifying.

Drugstore masks are NOT generally effective in preventing inhaling of viruses, that's true. But they at least do help prevent the wear from touching their nose, mouth, etc, which is a good thing.

But N95 masks ARE effective against viruses, and that's why hospital and medical staff who treat CV patients are supposed to be and are wearing them. In fact, are required to wear them in most places.

Stupid idiots.

Now they are trying to scare people into taking notice, after so long telling them there was no problem and it will be gone soon.

I think that they have now given the cause for the public to panic in expectation of of lockdowns.

You better get out to the supermarkets to stock up.

Some photos from Villa market Sukhumvit soi 26 yesterday. Toilet paper gone and canned food nearly cleared out.

Toilet Rolls cleared out2.jpg

canned food mostly gone2.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dukeandduke said:

Wonderful.  "Officials" say this.  As opposed to all of the doctors who say otherwise, unless you're sick, a health care worker, etc.

Doctors are going by WHO guidelines, and WHO is lying because they dont want a mask shortage for health care workers.

Edited by hobz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DLock said:

And if it hits 4% death rate as it is now, that will be 16,000 deaths...

Not bad for "all under control".

Do you see any other countries doing any better? The developed countries in Europe perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Some photos from Villa market Sukhumvit soi 26 yesterday. Toilet paper gone and canned food nearly cleared out.

But but but.... the Thai mass retailers popped up here just a couple days ago with a "news" article reporting they had plenty of supplies and weren't even running at full capacity.... 

Don't tell me, another Thailand episode of FAKE NEWS aka government propaganda.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes probably there will be massive global infection. But it's not just another strain of flu. The fatality rate from it is at least 10 times normal seasonal flu. This is much more like the 1918 plague flu than a normal seasonal flu.

If I sound matter of fact about this, well I was living in San Francisco when the HIV virus peaked before people even knew what it was and people were dropping like flies. 

That virus is hard to get and fairly easy to prevent once you know the facts.

This one is super easy to get and no amount of hand washing is really going to stop it. We can slow it though. 

Viruses don't have passports.

As a fellow SF'er this rings true.

In SF, my biggest concern now is that we get the big one (earthquake) during this "burn out" stage of the virus which is projected to last between now and August (with peak in June).

59 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

What a bunch of jerk offs. They have no freaking idea. 400K? 10 million? 16 million? Common. Come up with solution, not stupid predictions that have no basis in fact.

The range of infection estimates, I'm pretty certain, is based on the modeling world health authorities have done based on past virus outbreaks. It's not an exact number, and only a range, because there are a lot of variables:

different diseases are more or less contagious, affect different age groups differently, may be more or less seasonal, etc etc. And then there's the intervention issues -- governments & societies can take measures like quarantines, social distancing, etc that have the effect to cut down the infection rate, depending on how effectively and broadly they're enforced, and how early in the spread.

Depending on what Thailand does now and in the coming weeks/months, where the country actually ends up is either going to be on the high or low end of those estimate ranges.

Health officials in Thailand have forecast that at least 400,000 people may be diagnosed with the coronavirus, COVID-19, by the end of next year.

Are these, by any chance, the same health officials who haven't bothered to tell our esteemed leader that wearing a cloth mask that matches his shirt won't protect him against viruses?

Hmmmm.

• Haha 2

trying to put some numbers in perspective here. 
Using Today's WHO 20200317-sitrep-57-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a data and 
and 2019 population data (https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/ ), am ranking Covid cases / 100.000 inhabitants.
Calculating the subtotals by region, may give a better indication of how bad the infection spread is and of what is going on where, then just throwing absolute numbers without putting these in perspective.
Thailand, official numbers ranks 92. If we were to reach the density numbers like in Switzerland, that would mean (30/.25)*177 = about 21.000

image.thumb.png.961091c0e87fa70e58a873300378a5f9.png

Edited by KKr
clarifications

I think it will be higher. Chinese government essentially went to martial law. All the other countries high levels of education where people understand how germs and virus are transmitted. Here they have no clue. Stunning to see how improperly masks are treated. Already heard 4 people coughing hacking on BTS MRT. They go to work.

No word from wife about shutting down her building. Meanwhile my friend told me LA and OC are on lockdown. 23m people.