Apply for USA's SS Retirement Benefits from Thailand ?

I'm US citizen turning 66 yrs this June 2020. 

Is there anybody know how can (or possible) I apply for SS Retirement Benefits from Thailand ?

I don't have US address, is that a problem ?

Note:  On US Embassy Thailand website said people can apply Online. 

But, footnote said_ At this time, no other online services are available outside the United States.

!!!  confusing  !!! 

6 hours ago, Issanman said:

I did it a few years back completely online using a Thai address. No problem. 

How did you handle the mandatory phone call to confirm your monthly payment amount ?

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I have read that some people can get through properly with a VPN, a valid USA address, etc.

Not needed,  https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/lp/landing-page-rome.html 

is open for business, just checked with a VPN.  You just need to be aware of the hours the web portal is open:

Hours of Service:   Monday - Friday 5 AM - 1 AM ET   |  Saturday 5 AM - 11 PM ET   |  Sunday 8 AM - 11:30 PM ET

source: above

You can apply for an online account with Social Security, but be advised that, if you have a security block on access to your credit information, Social Security will not be able to verify your identity. Without verification, they will not give you an online account. With the online account, you can initiate your social security benefits to be direct deposited to your bank account. 

18 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

How did you handle the mandatory phone call to confirm your monthly payment amount ?

They sent me a letter to my Thai address with a phone number to call. 

I called the number and an actual human being answered the telephone right away.

He asked for some verification information and then told me how much I would get and the exact date that I would start receiving it.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Issanman said:

They sent me a letter to my Thai address with a phone number to call. 

Glad to hear that since I have a Magic Jack,  they called me on that, after an email telling me when they would call

Good to know that there are options other than Manila for overseas applicants 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, BTempleman said:

You can apply for an online account with Social Security, but be advised that, if you have a security block on access to your credit information, Social Security will not be able to verify your identity. Without verification, they will not give you an online account. With the online account, you can initiate your social security benefits to be direct deposited to your bank account. 

can you have it deposited in a Thai bank?

• 1 month later...

How long does it take to get approved for benefits?  I’ve had an online account for several years.  On March 18 I completed and submitted the online application. On March 19 my application was sent to Manila since I used my Thai address.  When I check my account it still states pending and that a representative will contact me if additional information is needed.

Over 2 weeks ago I sent an email to the Manila office.  No reply yet even though the website says they respond within 10 business days.    I tried calling during their normal call times which are Tuesday and Thursday mornings only to get a recording stating that due to the pandemic they no longer take calls.

Any suggestions?  

I did all the monkey business with Social Security people from within Thailand about three years ago. I jumped through all the hoops to include talking to some lady from Manila who called me at home. The only mistake that I did was being honest. She asked me if I had any other retirement funds and I said yes and told her the amount. She then figured out the total monthly amount I was to receive and everything was good to go. Until, the pencil pushers in the states finalized my account. Since I had received a provident fund from an international school in Thailand, the US government decided to deduct 10% of my monthly check until I'm about 85 or so. 

The only other problem that was encountered was dealing with the Bangkok Bank. It was through this forum that I learned a special account was needed and the bank kept telling me it was not necessary. Finally, I had to make a few phone calls to rectify the misunderstanding. Soon the bank ladies made the long trek to my place with the correct forms for me to sign. Since then everything has gone smoothly. Just make certain that you sign the 'are you dead' letter that is sent every year from the social security bigwigs.

1.jpg

On 3/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, BTempleman said:

Incorrect. The SSA does what is called a “soft check” of your credit report to verify the name of the person setting up the online account is using an address that is on record with the credit agency. A credit freeze does not affect the SSA’s verification of your address with a credit agency. 

On 5/14/2020 at 9:04 PM, statman78 said:

How long does it take to get approved for benefits?  I’ve had an online account for several years.  On March 18 I completed and submitted the online application. On March 19 my application was sent to Manila since I used my Thai address.  When I check my account it still states pending and that a representative will contact me if additional information is needed.

Over 2 weeks ago I sent an email to the Manila office.  No reply yet even though the website says they respond within 10 business days.    I tried calling during their normal call times which are Tuesday and Thursday mornings only to get a recording stating that due to the pandemic they no longer take calls.

Any suggestions?  

Typically nothing happens until just before you are due to receive your first benefit payment and then it gets approved and the money appears.  I applied three months before my first payment and that's what happened to me.  The staff at the SSA know what they are doing and the priority they give to your claim is based on the date of your first payment, not when you submitted your application.

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

Typically nothing happens until just before you are due to receive your first benefit payment and then it gets approved and the money appears.  I applied three months before my first payment and that's what happened to me.  The staff at the SSA know what they are doing and the priority they give to your claim is based on the date of your first payment, not when you submitted your application.

Thanks for the information.  Looks like I’ll have to wait for awhile.

• 4 months later...

I submitted an application online and then received an email acknowledgement. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Manila that I'd get a phone call on a time and date certain. That timing doesn't work for me, so I emailed back right away suggesting an alternative. Have heard nothing in return.

Anyone knows what happens if you miss the phone call?

1 hour ago, taxout said:

I submitted an application online and then received an email acknowledgement. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Manila that I'd get a phone call on a time and date certain. That timing doesn't work for me, so I emailed back right away suggesting an alternative. Have heard nothing in return.

If they are truly busy as they brief they are I expect they have just put you back into the queue to be reissued a new phone interview date which you'll be notified of later.   But who knows....they may have a policy of they will still make the call on the date/time they picked and if you don't answer the call they will just contact you to reschedule.  And it wouldn't surprise me that COVID has further complicated the issue/created a big backlog for Manila.

I've been involved in three Manila interview calls....my own, my wife's, and my neighbor's....all of these calls were over the last 2 to 4 years  The calls are brief especially if you submitted an application....only around 10-15 minutes long.  And if the applicant don't have a lot of questions, then the call will probably last less than 10 minutes.  

2 hours ago, taxout said:

I received my call from Manilla this past May.  As the previous poster mentioned, it took about 10-15 minutes.  There were only a few questions.  One of them surprised me.  From 1972 - 1977 I worked part time while in high school and college so I paid SS taxes.  In 1978 I did not work so nothing was paid in.  He asked me why so I told him.  No issues.  

50 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I applied if February this year online from Thailand and was approved. 

Benefits start when you apply, so assuming you are approved your first payment will be for about six months.  

Benefits are effective based on when you wanted the benefits to begin; not based on when your apply since a person can apply for benefit months earlier than when he may want the benefits to begin.

Say you applied in Feb but on the form you said you wanted the "Benefits Begin" date to be May, the benefits would begin from 1 May (kinda like starting a new job) with payment for that month occurring on 3 June (kinda like being paid monthly for your job). 

If it took six months to get your first payment then there were issues with your application...maybe the SSA required some extra docs....maybe SSA had to research/validate your earnings record asked for some forms...etc.  Normally applications are approved within 1 to 2 months (or even sooner) from the application submission date. 

Now if applying thru Manila your application submission date would be from the date Manila completes the interview and hits "submit" within their system which sends the application to Baltimore SSA for final review/approval. 

On 3/18/2020 at 6:01 PM, Langsuan Man said:

Not needed,  https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/lp/landing-page-rome.html 

is open for business, just checked with a VPN.  You just need to be aware of the hours the web portal is open:

source: above

I dealt with Manilla when I set up for my daughter's benefits. I gave them my Thai number and set up a time when they would call me in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Benefits are effective based on when you wanted the benefits to begin; not based on when your apply since a person can apply for benefit months earlier than when he may want the benefits to begin.

Say you applied in Feb but on the form you said you wanted the "Benefits Begin" date to be May, the benefits would begin from 1 May (kinda like starting a new job) with payment for that month occurring on 3 June (kinda like being paid monthly for your job). 

If it took six months to get your first payment then there were issues with your application...maybe the SSA required some extra docs....maybe SSA had to research/validate your earnings record asked for some forms...etc.  Normally applications are approved within 1 to 2 months (or even sooner) from the application submission date. 

Now if applying thru Manila your application submission date would be from the date Manila completes the interview and hits "submit" within their system which sends the application to Baltimore SSA for final review/approval. 

Well there was no issue with my application and I did not have to provide any additional documents. It four months for me and six for my boy.

Remember that precisely "when" your benefits start can be confusing in SS land.

You turn 65 November 1 and you'd think that's when they start. But actually they don't start till the month following your birthday. And they don't get paid out till yet the next month, January sometime.

• 3 months later...

I applied online August 1. Manila transferred me to another FBU where I'm waiting out Covid. Five months on and still nothing. Online it says my application's at Step 3 of 3, whatever that means.

Just posting in the hope I can invoke Murphy's Law again and get this moving.

14 hours ago, taxout said:

Like clockwork, once again. Two hours after posting the above I got my call from the local FBU.

The power of this board is amazing.

Damn maybe big brother is real.

I applied while in Thailand and was surprised that it went well overall. I already had the My SS account for years and filed my taxes with Thai address, so maybe that helped. Had to send my original birth certificate and Bangkok Bank direct deposit to Manila and did get the call.