Post your 1Gb speed tests here

Susco

3 hours ago, Caspersfriend said:

And then [sadly] arrives the COVID-19 factor ..  many bricks-and-morter sellers are now 'officially' on lockdown, and therefore their only recourse is to sell online. Lazada [by way of an example] have a "BIRTHDAY" celebration event coming up on the 27th. It's bound to be successful under current circumstances. I have much sympathy for the delivery drivers, who get exposed to the possibility of COVID-19 migration every day. Same applies to taxi drivers and the myriad of delivery agents; Grab et al.

Lazada's birthday sale may not be successful as many Thais are losing or being laid off from their jobs and are watching their baht and satang closely due to COVID-19.  I have quite few in-laws in that situation....in-laws who buy online a good amount but are now very concerned if they will have a job tomorrow....several have already been laid off or expect to be soon.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Lazada's birthday sale may not be successful as many Thais are losing or being laid off from their jobs and are watching their baht and satang closely due to COVID-19.  I have quite few in-laws in that situation....in-laws who buy online a good amount but are now very concerned if they will have a job tomorrow....several have already been laid off or expect to be soon.

It's a major concern for an ever-increasing percentage of those around the World who are starting to feel the the affects of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, I am sure you know the nature of the populace better than that; not just in Thailand: The very many who were already living hand-to-mouth, on a day-by-day basis, are already in debtnbut they still have their wants and needs 'Tomorrow' is a time that does not currently exist. If sellers offer a 'bargain', and especially if it's available on a 0% installment plan, they will grab it ... and the consequences may actually surprise them down the road. In the 'west' their are many who consider "don't wait until the end of the month when the bargains have gone" offers from those who will pay your monthly cheque into your account today as a good thing; subsequently the realisation that it comes at a price dawns on them!

Off topic and therefore will leave it there.

I have the 1Gb/100 package but have changed it via the 3BB website to 800/200.

Yesterday I took the readings below. I have only put the whole numbers before decimal point.

107/100 48ms to server Singapore

730/211 13ms to  3BB server Surat Thani

196/209 31ms  to 3BB server Songkla

138/209 48ms to Singtel server Singapore.

The only one that comes near my package is the one to the 3BB server in Surat Thani, which I suppose is to be expected as I am on Samui.

1 minute ago, prallo said:

totneuspeed.jpg

Thanks for posting your speed test, but could you please elaborate a little on provider - package and which speed test used.

Is this a website or an app you used?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I have the 1Gb/100 package but have changed it via the 3BB website to 800/200.

Yesterday I took the readings below. I have only put the whole numbers before decimal point.

107/100 48ms to server Singapore

730/211 13ms to  3BB server Surat Thani

196/209 31ms  to 3BB server Songkla

138/209 48ms to Singtel server Singapore.

The only one that comes near my package is the one to the 3BB server in Surat Thani, which I suppose is to be expected as I am on Samui.

Yes only speeds within Thailand are guaranteed by the ISP.

It would be handy if you could post some screenshots of your tests to Thailand servers, since that is the only thing that can be used as evidence.

Strange that you get double the upload speed of your subscription.

Please note only speed tests done over a wired connection will give you reliable results.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

phetphet was using the TOT speedtester at below webpage; not the requested Speedtest.net 

http://speedtest1.totbroadband.com:8080/

Speedtest.net is not a request, tests done over the website of the provider are acceptable as well.

What I need to prove is that web browser based tests can handle 1 Gb speeds, in contrary to what 3BB claims.

By the way, the TOT test shows for me at 460 Mbps, an increase of about 100 Mbps over the 3bb or speedtest,net results

Edited by Susco

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Thanks for posting your speed test, but could you please elaborate a little on provider - package and which speed test used.

Is this a website or an app you used?

Thanks

Oops, sorry.

I tested this on this webpage:

TOT Speed Test

My provider is TOT and I live near Sattahip.

My package is 1 Gb/500 Mb for 24 months, so I pay every month only 700 Baht plus VAT 7%.

I tested it with my computer and the router via LAN cable.

Edited by prallo
  • Like 1

TOT speedtest is not based on Speedtest.net, I mean this one:

it's a speedtest on github

https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest

and it is multi threaded as you can expect.

also, correction factor is by default 1.06 so I don't believe 1042 mbps download on a 1Gb LAN/WAN port router, max possible is 930-940 mbps

Edited by muratremix
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, muratremix said:

TOT speedtest is not based on Speedtest.net, I mean this one:

it's a speedtest on github

https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest

and it is multi threaded as you can expect.

also, correction factor is by default 1.06 so I don't believe 1042 mbps download on a 1Gb LAN/WAN port router, max possible is 930-940 mbps

All local speed tests are actually multi threaded, and I don't mind much about because not much is streaming from Thailand, at least when I get a reasonable speed on a single thread. But even that is not possible in my case.

image.png.6847fd5c84d65052ff8f24f595437a8f.png

3 minutes ago, muratremix said:

speedtest is also multi threaded but how they calculate results are different. I don't like speedtest.net's multi threaded connection and their results mean nothing to me (except for local testing)

But you can switch to single connection with speedtest.net, as seen in my previous post

Yea, the TOT speed test is being VERY generous in its results...guess that helps to cut down on speed complaints.  I bet during its sampling it only reports an average of its "highest" speed samples where other speed tests have an algorithm to toss many of the highest and lowest speed samples and then report an average of the remaining samples.

I now back on my AIS 700/50 plan after my one day free upgrade to 1000/1000 where I reported those results earlier in the thread.  When I run the speedtests today using Speedtest.net and Nperf.com I get results of around 775/58.  But when I use the TOT speedtest I get results of around 850/60Mb download....see below.  Now I don't doubt some of the speed samples taken during the download testing period of around 15 seconds was around 850Mb, but not the great majority.  Next time I do a one day free upgrade to 1Gb I'll be sure to see what the TOT speed tester gives me....I expect it will be over 1Gb.

Yeap....a lot depends on the speed tester and the algorithm it uses as to what your results will be.  I would rely much more on Speedtest.net and Nperf.com testers than the TOT speedtester.

Results on my AIS 700/50 plan....upload speed is quite believable...but I'm not buying the download speed.

image.png.5f82ee95fc8b3c17e4d558fb12bd5d41.png

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

But you can switch to single connection with speedtest.net, as seen in my previous post

Almost nobody uses single mode. 94 mbit in a single connection shows a serious router problem in your local area, thats why you can't get anywhere near 900 mbit in your tests.

14 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Almost nobody uses single mode. 94 mbit in a single connection shows a serious router problem in your local area, thats why you can't get anywhere near 900 mbit in your tests.

Of course nobody does single mode tests, but I happen to know how to do a speed test.

The average person doesn't know how a speed test works, as they are doing speed test on multi thread to Thailand based server, when they have problem with their live tv which streams most likely from a server 10.000 km from here.

The only thing I don't understand is that on both my PC's, and the laptop of the 3bb technician, speed tests through any website give this very low result.

But then 3bb tells me I have to install the speed test app for Windows, which is provided by speedtest.net.

I installed the app while I was on the chat with the head technician in Chonburi, and got the same low speed.

As soon as I send him the screenshot I see my network disconnect, and when it connects again, I get over 900 Mbps on the app.

On the websites I still get the same 400 Mbps on multi connection, and so did the 3bb technician who came testing the next day.

• Like 1

Anyone here can explain why on my network, with whatever pc or laptop and using whatever browser, my speed test using the 3bb speed test - speedtest.net or other speed test websites show my download around 400 Mbps on multi thread connection, but the Windows speed test app as one and only shows double that result?

Apologies for previously wandering off topic.

First three are LAN, second three WiFi. The package is 1Gig up and down. The PC is adjacent to the modem and capable of running 800+ on WiFi. Will  post again when I have fitted the new router. Has anyone changed their 3BB package via the app?

Screenshot_2020-03-22 3BB Speedtest(12).png

Screenshot_2020-03-22 3BB Speedtest(13).png

Screenshot_2020-03-22 3BB Speedtest.png

Screenshot_2020-03-22 3BB Speedtest(5).png

Screenshot_2020-03-24 3BB Speedtest.png

Screenshot_2020-03-22 3BB Speedtest(4).png

8 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

Apologies for previously wandering off topic.

First three are LAN, second three WiFi. The package is 1Gig up and down. The PC is adjacent to the modem and capable of running 800+ on WiFi. Will  post again when I have fitted the new router. Has anyone changed their 3BB package via the app?

Your 3rd test is supposed to be on LAN, but show only 62 Mbps. I that correct?

I changed my package through the app.

Still looking forward to an explanation why the Windows speed test app gives completely different results from any website based test.

Are you sure your upgrade is already activated? You can see that in the app.

Upload really sucks

Edited by Susco

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

Your 3rd test is supposed to be on LAN, but show only 67 Mbps. I that correct?

I changed my package through the app.

Still looking forward to an explanation why the Windows speed test app gives completely different results from any website based test

Unfortunately they are all correct. Not only is the WiFi woefully slow, it also drops out momentarily from time to time.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Anyone here can explain why on my network, with whatever pc or laptop and using whatever browser, my speed test using the 3bb speed test - speedtest.net or other speed test websites show my download around 400 Mbps on multi thread connection, but the Windows speed test app as one and only shows double that result?

having a internet security / firewall / antivirus (with webfilter) ?

44 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

Unfortunately they are all correct. Not only is the WiFi woefully slow, it also drops out momentarily from time to time.

I should add that the PC has a GIGABYTE H170N - WIFI motherboard, which unfortunately comes with the INTEL AC8260 chip. This chip has a history of being fickle/fussy and is probably slowing down the WiFi performance. Doesn't explain why I get similarly poor results on phones/Smart TV/Android TV box/Laptop 

19 minutes ago, muratremix said:

having a internet security / firewall / antivirus (with webfilter) ?

Firewall is disabled on the router.

I have done speed tests on my main pc with firewall and av disabled but web filter is not active anyway, no difference in speed.

I'm also talking about 2 pc's with Windows 7 ultimate and Gigabit Ethernet, and the laptop of the 3bb technician with Windows 10.

All give the same result. I assume an app installed on the pc will pass the same firewall and internet security as the web browser.

Tried with 3 different browsers and 3 different websites.

The most strange thing is that my first test with the app gave the same low speed, and as soon as I posted the screenshot on the chat, my internet connection reset and I got full speed the next test.

I mentioned that to the technician who came next day, and he smiled and said that the other one probably made a change on my connection.

11 hours ago, Susco said:

Speedtest.net is not a request, tests done over the website of the provider are acceptable as well.

What I need to prove is that web browser based tests can handle 1 Gb speeds, in contrary to what 3BB claims.

By the way, the TOT test shows for me at 460 Mbps, an increase of about 100 Mbps over the 3bb or speedtest,net results

I was using this one: https://www.speedtest.net  But I will do again and post screen shots as requested.

On 3/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Susco said:

Of course nobody does single mode tests, but I happen to know how to do a speed test.

The average person doesn't know how a speed test works, as they are doing speed test on multi thread to Thailand based server, when they have problem with their live tv which streams most likely from a server 10.000 km from here.

The only thing I don't understand is that on both my PC's, and the laptop of the 3bb technician, speed tests through any website give this very low result.

But then 3bb tells me I have to install the speed test app for Windows, which is provided by speedtest.net.

I installed the app while I was on the chat with the head technician in Chonburi, and got the same low speed.

As soon as I send him the screenshot I see my network disconnect, and when it connects again, I get over 900 Mbps on the app.

On the websites I still get the same 400 Mbps on multi connection, and so did the 3bb technician who came testing the next day.

Exactly what happened to me . The tech was on the phone to h/q and they installed the app on my android box which now shows 900 mbps plus as opposed to any other speed test which today show 60 mbps down and up . I am on the 3bb 1 gb . Techs at my place again last week and they upgraded my H96 Pro android box . No difference , called 3 bb and told them to take out the service and  they said I would have to pay for the installation and remainder of the 2 year contract , I said no  and was cut off the next day as I had  refused to pay the monthly fee . had no option but to pay . Not sure what my rights are .

Their laptop always shows 900 plus download when plugged into the router or at the connection to the android box lan cable .

To previous suggestions  about my IPTV could be the problem , now using ilikehdtv and the quality is excellent with the occasional freeze , previous was hdprime and that was always stopping . No problems with You Tube or local Thai TV through LOOX TV app .   I feel that I am being cheated paying for 1GB but speed tests show under 100 mbps backed up by my customers who say my wifi is slow and their phones show 15 mbps ish