Post your 1Gb speed tests here

Susco

On 3/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, Matzzon said:

This is a totally useless thread, due to many reasons. I will give you some:

• The 1 GB speed offer is if you are alone on the node you are connected to, which almost never is a fact.
  • To get up to the speed of 1 GB, which is virtually impossible, you will need to have the latest computer with very high specs.
  • Even with a new high spec com, it´s not enough. You can not have any software installed that might slow down you connection, due to that the computer is multitasking.
  • You will also need to have the absolute best RJ45 fibre cable, that gives you 0 resistance receiving the signal

That was just some points you will have to consider. All that will post their different speeds that you ask for, is going to have different circumstances that will affect their speed result. 

Regarding that only one speed test will be able to show the high speed result is wrong. If you really have full speed, then all real speed tests will be able to show that. If only one that is also chosen by you ISP is showing, then it´s sure to be a fake result.

True Internet My results: 710/252 18ms (old computer) 910/299 8ms (new computer)

There's another very important factor. All these services are shared services unless you have your own pipe, meaning they are UP TO the offered maximum speed. The more people who sign up to these new services, the slower they will become unless you subscribe to a premium package.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tropo said:

There's another very important factor. All these services are shared services unless you have your own pipe, meaning they are UP TO the offered maximum speed. The more people who sign up to these new services, the slower they will become unless you subscribe to a premium package.

Thailand NBTC state the ISP must provide at least 80% of the highest quoted speeds they have packaged 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, superal said:

Thailand NBTC state the ISP must provide at least 80% of the highest quoted speeds they have packaged 

I have only seen "up to" regarding speeds, which basically means any speed. Are you sure the NBTC rule refers to shared services? It would be impossible for any ISP to guarantee a speed with shared services.

21 minutes ago, tropo said:

I have only seen "up to" regarding speeds, which basically means any speed. Are you sure the NBTC rule refers to shared services? It would be impossible for any ISP to guarantee a speed with shared services.

Somewhere in this thread I posted the terms and conditions set by 3bb, and for their 1Gb package they guarantee 900 Mbps in writing.

I have a complaint running with NBTC and they confirmed they have to provide 80% of the speed mentioned on the package

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Somewhere in this thread I posted the terms and conditions set by 3bb, and for their 1Gb package they guarantee 900 Mbps in writing.

I have a complaint running with NBTC and they confirmed they have to provide 80% of the speed mentioned on the package

I haven't read any contracts lately. All I remember were the contracts I read from CAT that clearly stated they cannot guarantee any speed. If that has changed now, that's good news. They will have to limit sharing.

However, the reality is that speed to international servers is slow no matter what speed your service offers. Speed to local servers is not useful for most of us.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

However, the reality is that speed to international servers is slow no matter what speed your service offers. Speed to local servers is not useful for most of us.

This thread also isn't about international speeds, and there is no law that says the ISP has to guarantee international speeds, but they have to for local speeds.

So since NBTC could not enforce anything in regard to international speeds, however it is obvious that there is an issue with the network I'm connected to, I had to open a new claim to allow NBTC to act and force 3bb to fix the issue with the network.

Yeap...CAT don't guarantee any percentage.  Now the govt may surely require a minimum percentage, but CAT does not state any minimum percentage the their Terms of Agreement on their website.

https://www.cinternetbycat.com/2019/super_speed_plus.html

C internet service is a high speed internet service which uses the speed of receiving and sending data together. The quality and speed of use depends on the quantity or number of users at that time.
The distance between the internet network and the user's location Quality and efficiency of connected equipment Including the server of the website visited, especially foreign websites, may result in lower connection speed than specified in the package chosen.

Edited by Pib

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

The discussion of international speed is relevant here

No it is not. In case you missed it, I'm the OP and I clearly wrote in the thread title Post your 1Gb speed tests here.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, tropo said:

I haven't read any contracts lately. All I remember were the contracts I read from CAT that clearly stated they cannot guarantee any speed. If that has changed now, that's good news. They will have to limit sharing.

Define slow for international servers? You will never get 1gbps international speed due to latency and shared connection. Even a dedicated server in Germany with 1Gbps dedicated line can't get more than 150 Mbit towards California due to TTL and TCP/IP

38 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Define slow for international servers? You will never get 1gbps international speed due to latency and shared connection. Even a dedicated server in Germany with 1Gbps dedicated line can't get more than 150 Mbit towards California due to TTL and TCP/IP

Sorry for being a bit off topic but that's nonsense. TTL != latency. TTL stands for Time To Live and is unrelated. Maybe you confused it with RTT? Latency while it can impact throughput does not mean a 1Gbps upstream in Germany can't push nearly 1Gbps to California. Just need big enough TCP windows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

Define it? A fraction of the ISP's offered speed and it varies a lot. For example, if your service is rated at, for example, 100 Mbps, you might get 50 Mbps to an International server (you might get 10, 5 or even less). If you increase your service to say 300 Mbps, or 500 Mbps, the speed to the International server will not change.

Obviously you have the same problem in Germany, so it's not hard to imagine the situation is even worse in Thailand.

Edited by tropo

Some Off topic posts removed.

As per the OP this topic concerns "local" speeds for a specific reason, so please do not divert into "International" discussion it is "Off topic" to the purpose of this topic and to the OP's goal here.

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Sorry for being a bit off topic but that's nonsense. TTL != latency. TTL stands for Time To Live and is unrelated. Maybe you confused it with RTT? Latency while it can impact throughput does not mean a 1Gbps upstream in Germany can't push nearly 1Gbps to California. Just need big enough TCP windows.

And you have a big TCP window set in your devices to benefit from this speed bump? I don't think so, so yes you can't get 1 Gbps international speed even if you have a dedicated business line with a single connection.

• Sad 1

I have a new contract with 3BB for 1gb/100 installed yesterday to get it I had to pay 6 months in advance....this is my test... I guess I'll have to complain to 3BB don't you think so?

screencapture-speedtest-3bb-co-th-2020-04-06-21_14_23 (2)_page-0001 (1) (1).jpg

Edited by Nobody55
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, superal said:

80% of the pkg speed in Thailand, NOT the international gateways. A better test should be done to UK or USA, with and w/o vpn...then lets see what your gigabit speeds are now.

• Confused 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, tropo said:

"However, the reality is that speed to international servers is slow no matter what speed your service offers."

That's hardly the case now as it's easy to achieve 300 or 400Mbps (which is NOT slow) to US and European servers from Thailand and that's with a vpn connection. And that's with 300/100Mbps fiber service.

Edited by i84teen

35 minutes ago, i84teen said:

"However, the reality is that speed to international servers is slow no matter what speed your service offers."

That's hardly the case now as it's easy to achieve 300 or 400Mbps (which is NOT slow) to US and European servers from Thailand and that's with a vpn connection.

OK. Let's see some speed tests to a European and US server that high, or even a fraction of that. Please use testmy.net, and a large data sample. Tests on this website won't be anywhere near as good as you see on Speedtest.net, but they are far more meaningful because you can see exactly how long it takes to upload or download a large data sample. Try downloading and uploading a 200 MB data sample to various servers. 

I haven't done any speed tests for quite awhile, so let's have look. Don't use a VPN.

Perhaps you are downloading torrents, which is totally different thing as you're connecting to many servers at the same time. I also manage to get good speeds when downloading torrents.

Edited by tropo

I would agree it's not easy to achieve 300 to 400Mb VPN speeds to the US/Europe, but it is doable. 

I just did some speedtest.net tests to the US west coast and Europe....done on this fine Sunday/12Apr/at around 5pm which is probably a pick time with most every hiding from COVID-19 at their homes using the internet.  Sorry, didn't feel motivated enough to use Testmy.net or some other speed tester.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 700/50 plan....used an ExpressVPN IKEV2 connection. 

Now it took me about 20 tries to get below 6 results over 300Mb, but the results that didn't reach 300Mb were still well over 200Mb...usually in the 250-275Mb range.   

I sure do want to see some more speedtest.net results from some NordVPN users....results from those using the NordVPN app on their computer vs installed on their router since most folks just use an app for a VPN connection--that how I do it.   Would really like to see some more NordVPN results "from Thailand" to the US because I just may sign-up with them if they consistently have fast speeds of over 200Mb to the US.

Over300toUS_3.JPG.eb97f0adc2e1cb63ca1d2f1833fa3a42.JPG

Over300toUS_2.JPG.8c0df7e562736dda9817e87afa0623aa.JPG

Over300toUS.JPG.fa9fc7bcbf70270ef12cc87293c0cae1.JPG

Over300toEur3.JPG.685443d0fc0d64fc967434d162c288e0.JPG

Over300toEur2.JPG.4b17e17aaec8eb464efde337b0885a3c.JPG

Over300toEur.JPG.5bcc80ab54cbdab7d06577b5c2829e27.JPG

3 hours ago, tropo said:

OK. Let's see some speed tests to a European and US server that high, or even a fraction of that. Please use testmy.net, and a large data sample. Tests on this website won't be anywhere near as good as you see on Speedtest.net, but they are far more meaningful because you can see exactly how long it takes to upload or download a large data sample. Try downloading and uploading a 200 MB data sample to various servers. 

I haven't done any speed tests for quite awhile, so let's have look. Don't use a VPN.

Perhaps you are downloading torrents, which is totally different thing as you're connecting to many servers at the same time. I also manage to get good speeds when downloading torrents.

here ya go. Data sample: >400MB to SEA, and >600MB to FRA. I pay for 300/100 fiber service. I access ookla via the cmd terminal on macOS.

speedtest-APR12_redacted.jpg

18 hours ago, Pib said:

I would agree it's not easy to achieve 300 to 400Mb VPN speeds to the US/Europe, but it is doable. 

I just did some speedtest.net tests to the US west coast and Europe....done on this fine Sunday/12Apr/at around 5pm which is probably a pick time with most every hiding from COVID-19 at their homes using the internet.  Sorry, didn't feel motivated enough to use Testmy.net or some other speed tester.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 700/50 plan....used an ExpressVPN IKEV2 connection. 

Now it took me about 20 tries to get below 6 results over 300Mb, but the results that didn't reach 300Mb were still well over 200Mb...usually in the 250-275Mb range.   

I sure do want to see some more speedtest.net results from some NordVPN users....results from those using the NordVPN app on their computer vs installed on their router since most folks just use an app for a VPN connection--that how I do it.   Would really like to see some more NordVPN results "from Thailand" to the US because I just may sign-up with them if they consistently have fast speeds of over 200Mb to the US.

Over300toUS_3.JPG.eb97f0adc2e1cb63ca1d2f1833fa3a42.JPG

Over300toUS_2.JPG.8c0df7e562736dda9817e87afa0623aa.JPG

Over300toUS.JPG.fa9fc7bcbf70270ef12cc87293c0cae1.JPG

Over300toEur3.JPG.685443d0fc0d64fc967434d162c288e0.JPG

Over300toEur2.JPG.4b17e17aaec8eb464efde337b0885a3c.JPG

Over300toEur.JPG.5bcc80ab54cbdab7d06577b5c2829e27.JPG

is this IPSEC l2tp?

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

ExpressVPN using IKEV2 protocol....13 Apr/Monday/approx 1:55pm Thailand time to Seattle and London.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 700/50 plan.

CaptureSeattle13April.JPG.3ebce624ce684f3803b5be23fbb934e5.JPG

CaptureLondon13April.JPG.8ce722d3106d85ca9f000253267093fe.JPG

how are your speeds on OpenVPN (UDP protocol)? If I use a 3rd party VPN client (SHIMO in this case) my speeds increase significantly over the xpressVPN app(S). Also, there are some squawks about the xpress desktop app doing "sneakie" things behind your back. Be aware.

Attached is a scr-shot of speed test connected to France-Strasbourg OpenVPN-udp server using macOS SHIMO client.

Service is fiber 300/100Mbps.

Also, have u configured xpressVPN at the router level, if so, what router and what speeds did you see to US, Eu, etc?

Shimo-France_APR13-udp-red-1.thumb.jpg.8765e718f8df6f5f710e58b67d0b550c.jpg

Edited by i84teen
spelling | add content

OpenVPN is significantly slower for me compared to IKEV2....about 20% slower.

Have not configured at the router level...nor desire to.  Only want to use VPN for certain connections at certain times.

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, Pib said:

As mentioned in the post it's IKEV2.

I'm nowhere near getting those speeds with 3BB 900/500.

I get 300-350 mbps towards singapore with ipsec using my digitalocean vps droplet though.

perhaps I need to optimize tcp window on vps.

So many different factors can impact a person's internet speed (non-VPN and VPN).  Hardware....software....settings...the ISP...the VPN provider...the user...mysterical-magical things. Preaching to the choir I know.  All a person can do is try to figure out where the choke point(s) is and then try to overcome it.

6 minutes ago, muratremix said:

I got an SMS saying my package upgraded to 1000/1000 from 3BB. I had 700/700 before that.

e30fc936-7e28-4663-b231-2cb7afaeb12c.png

That ping time is amazing....you must live next door to the 3BB server.