Thai authorities set to clarify situation on visa overstay as a result of COVID-19

webfact

23 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

As an American, getting the embassy letter will be a nightmare. Post messages, no reply. Call and no one picks up. Hours are cut there due to coivd and appointments will be impossible to get. Any American get a letter yet? I have already done my 30+30 and expect to go to CW on Monday and hope I get a kind and  merciful IO.

Doesn't 30+30 mean you were on a tourist visa and extended 30 days, so shouldn't need the letter?

28 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

As an American, getting the embassy letter will be a nightmare. Post messages, no reply. Call and no one picks up. Hours are cut there due to coivd and appointments will be impossible to get. Any American get a letter yet? I have already done my 30+30 and expect to go to CW on Monday and hope I get a kind and  merciful IO.

yeah and the american border is still open to US nationals.  the official advice as of now is basically fly home immediately and if you choose to stay abroad you're on your own

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

30 plus 30 means I came in visa exempt and used my extension already

Ah ok, I see what you mean. I may well be mistaken, but I think you would just take option (3), on the basis a visa exemption is neither a tourist visa, or 'other' type of visa. It's the absence of a visa. I can see it going either way though.

Specifically, when I read "non-tourist visas", I had read that as (non-tourist) visa. On second reading it makes sense to consider it as not (tourist visa).

EDIT: thinking about it more, my initial interpretation is wrong, they wouldn't say 'or other visa type' if that's what they meant

Edited by jacob29
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, accel said:

yeah and the american border is still open to US nationals.  the official advice as of now is basically fly home immediately and if you choose to stay abroad you're on your own

Not a chance. I would be a moron to do that. My brother's family is in quarantine. My parents, who I usually live with when I am there, are in total seclusion since they are extremely elderly and infirm, and the epidemic will be <deleted> storm there. Also, after 20 years in Asia, I currently have no private insurance since I have not needed it. The long flight and and time in US airports would be perfect places to catch the virus with the terrible preparedness there. Screw them and their stupid advice. What's the big deal to give a letter to help expats out of the country long term? Lazy sobs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Not a chance. I would be a moron to do that. My brother's family is in quarantine. My parents, who I usually live with when I am there, are in total seclusion since they are extremely elderly and infirm, and the epidemic will be <deleted> storm there. Also, after 20 years in Asia, I currently have no private insurance since I have not needed it. The long flight and and time in US airports would be perfect places to catch the virus with the terrible preparedness there. Screw them and their stupid advice. What's the big deal to give a letter to help expats out of the country long term? Lazy sobs.

Go into immigration and ask them, maybe you will see a glimmer of empathy. PS they can be bought usually

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Ah ok, I see what you mean. I may well be mistaken, but I think you would just take option (3), on the basis a visa exemption is neither a tourist visa, or 'other' type of visa. It's the absence of a visa. I can see it going either way though.

Specifically, when I read "non-tourist visas", I had read that as (non-tourist) visa. On second reading it makes sense to consider it as not (tourist visa).

EDIT: thinking about it more, my initial interpretation is wrong, they wouldn't say 'or other visa type' if that's what they meant

Seems like I am currently part of case 3 and will be able to extend if they show compassion.

Im hoping category 3 will work for me. Similar situation to the post above; American on a 30+30...Was planning to get a non immigrant o in laos but thats been scrapped. I have a thai bank account with over 400,000 baht and insurance w/ 5mil baht coverage. Hoping this makes a difference...Fingers crossed I get a good IO. 

Edited by Kingjamo808
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kingjamo808 said:

Im hoping category 3 will work for me. Similar situation to the post above; American on a 30+30...Was planning to get a non immigrant o in laos but thats been scrapped. I have a thai bank account with over 400,000 baht and insurance w/ 5mil baht coverage. Hoping this makes a difference...Fingers crossed I get a good IO. 

Good luck jamo, please let me know what happens. May wait until Tuesday to make my trip there. Feel free to PM me.

Probably safe to assume that the situation is unprecedented so the response from immigration probably will be too. All sorts of 'exotic' stories will emerge here no doubt... Point being, they are very unlikely to chuck anyone out as every country bordering Thailand is now closed anyway. The world is locking down basically. They will remain evasive by default... meaning we will simply have to go to our local immigration offices when our visas are up for renewal... case by case. No surprises there then?

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Exactly. I am in the same boat as you. 9 years though.  I have no confidence in the system over there. Mike Pompeo can go and suck a dick. Trying to tell us to "come home", but when we get there...no one's gonna give a rat's ass about us "uninsured".  I'd rather take my chances out here where I have a fighting chance. Over there, I'd end up dead, bankrupt, or both! AND I might end up taking family members down with me!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Exactly. I am in the same boat as you. 9 years though.  I have no confidence in the system over there. Mike Pompeo can go and suck a dick. Trying to tell us to "come home", but when we get there...no one's gonna give a rat's ass about us "uninsured".  I'd rather take my chances out here where I have a fighting chance. Over there, I'd end up dead, bankrupt, or both! AND I might end up taking family members down with me!

Exactly, it's common sense not to go back.

13 minutes ago, artiz said:

Probably safe to assume that the situation is unprecedented so the response from immigration probably will be too. All sorts of 'exotic' stories will emerge here no doubt... Point being, they are very unlikely to chuck anyone out as every country bordering Thailand is now closed anyway. The world is locking down basically. They will remain evasive by default... meaning we will simply have to go to our local immigration offices when our visas are up for renewal... case by case. No surprises there then?

Good luck everyone!

They won't chuck us out....BUT, they will demand overstay fees once you leave. 500THB/day gets expensive really quickly.

11 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

They won't chuck us out....BUT, they will demand overstay fees once you leave. 500THB/day gets expensive really quickly.

May as well get three months out of it or a year if you dont mind a years ban

1 minute ago, vermin on arrival said:

I thought clemency for overstay now. Only fines levied.

When the virus is over though , you may decide to stay on overstay and just pay 20 000 Baht and take a years ban 

BTW, is that official, no bans for overstay now ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:42 AM, keith101 said:

I was concerned about the border being closed and not being able to do my 90 day out/in next month so contacted Siam Legal who told me i can get a 60 day extension from my local Imm office if needed .

A friend and I, both on non O 12 month multi entry visas based on marriage are due to cross into Cambodia at Cong Chom on the 31st of March. we were informed that my friend a US citizen may not be allowed to enter Cambodia while I a UK citizen may not be able to re-enter Thailand. We called Kap Chong Immigration and were told we cound extend for 60 days at their office we, are unsure about what will happen after that extension. I hope we speak to the same IO too.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, ColtenSloan said:

Interested to see what will happen exactly. I've always had tourist visas for the last 3 years. 

Now I'm just on a visa exempt, which I am due to EXTEND next week for 30 days. 

Been curious what I will do once that time is up, as my flight has been cancelled to Singapore, my travel plans to Vietnam are currently not possible due to Vietnam suspending visas, and now Laos has just stopped issuing visas, so I couldn't even potentially go to Laos for a Thai visa, or border hop. Even the thought of going to Laos for a month or two is now not possible. 

(Canadian citizen btw) 

And no not travelling back to Canada. 

Hmm ????????????

I think that's the agenda, they want tourests to go back home

3 minutes ago, justaphase said:

Just stay here and leave on overstay when its all over.  That will easily be another 6 months so just pay 20k and move somewhere else.

Can you imagine how financially f@cked this place will be by then?

That might be a good option for some but not so easy if you have family here. In the current circumstances the 'move somewhere else' options may be rather more limited. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, vermin on arrival said:

so my trip to the lao embassy today will be useless

nope can fill in the healthdeclaration form and with approval your good to go laos