BTS wants everyone in a mask

snoop1130

BTS wants everyone in a mask

By The Nation

800_a2bf1bbf0c5c83f.jpg

All commuters using the BTS Skytrain have been asked to wear facemasks while at the stations and aboard the trains to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Bangkok Mass Transit System said the move would both reduce the risk of infection and maintain passenger confidence.

It said all stations and trains are sanitised daily before service begins.

Alcohol-based hand sanitisers are provided for use before and after using the service, an idea the company said should be copied when using any form of public transportation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384426

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-19
  • Like 1

BTS wants everyone in a mask.

Now is this a request made in ignorance? Is it a stupid request? Are the Management of the BTS totally clueless of facts?

Imagine, one infected person in one crowded carriage. He/she maybe in conversation with another. Or maybe cough or sneeze. The chances of contaminating the hand rails etc exists. As he/she does not know they are already infected, they will not wear a mask.

In this scenario...

Is the chance of spreading the COVID-19 virus zero if no one is wearing a mask?

If all are wearing masks, whats the risk factor?

Just asking, to update myself.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think the main point here is - does wearing a mask put you at more risk of infection - probably not

I agree, but with the government blaming farangs as the cause of the virus, if we take a bus or plane or the skytrain....or visit a clinic or hospital its more diplomatic to wear one, especially if the real nationwide figures and potential death count starts to be publicly shared we could be in for a great deal of resentment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Well as it is very difficult to find masks at the moment, I have been tying string to my wife's sanitary napkins and will be wearing one of those tomorrow. Unused napkins of course. 

Necessity is the mother of invention - Bravo!

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great idea.

Do they also supply a list of shops which don't have "no masks" signs?

Today I wanted to buy masks: Out of stock, out of stock, out of stock, ...

Don't buy those cloth mask as it is useless.

At least buy surgical mask or better still N95.

Most of the shops I go to said out of stock as well.

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Don't buy those cloth mask as it is useless.

At least buy surgical mask or better still N95.

Most of the shops I go to said out of stock as well.

I agree. N95 is what I want.

But now I don't even get the almost useless masks - my girlfriend somehow feels better if she wears a mask - even if it is almost useless.

• Sad 1

IDIOTS,  nothing less.real reason we dont want to cancel trains like the London underground because MONEY  FIRST instead  we'll  tel you that wearing a mask  will make it safe.

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

It said all stations and trains are sanitised daily before service begins.

so USELESS then , what youd  really have to do is wipe EVERY  surface  touched by every  person EVERYTIME  they touch it so non stop all day,  impossible

5 minutes ago, Chazar said:

IDIOTS,  nothing less.real reason we dont want to cancel trains like the London underground because MONEY  FIRST instead  we'll  tel you that wearing a mask  will make it safe.

So the BTS is run by IDIOTS?

Thank you. Very precious information for the file.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Great idea.

Geez, anyone who at this point does not have a few masks to use seems pretty lame and unprepared.

If one is desperate, some info online on how to make your own.

+1

I posted weeks ago that everyone should stock up on some masks but as expected, got shouted down by resident medical experts. 
I think all public places (BTS, malls, supermarkets etc) should ban entry to anyone without a mask. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

+1

I posted weeks ago that everyone should stock up on some masks but as expected, got shouted down by resident medical experts. 
I think all public places (BTS, malls, supermarkets etc) should ban entry to anyone without a mask. 

A few days ago, I asked a customer with a cough to wear a mask at Makro supermarket. Then somebody butted in and said 'it's not necessary to wear'.

I didn't want to argue so i just walked away.

That's how virus spread, whether it is coronavirus or other virus.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Might be nice if all the masks weren't exported to the highest bidder.  Been trying to buy some for the last month.

Every shop I try "Mot Lao"   Lazada all sold out, Amazon won't ship to Thailand. Shopee, only low quality useless masks, and not even sure they will deliver or not.

So I just use the train when I need to Sans mask. I hope that the average Thai understands not everybody can get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Want to ride the train, wear a mask.

We all know it makes no odds but just do it, it's not like it's going to cost you much.

Assuming that is, you can actually find a mask to wear.

The cost is hadly the point, availability is, perhaps they'll be handing out masks. 

This does seem to be a request from the BTS and I doubt that anyone will be refused access to the trains but maybe your position gives you access to what they actually mean?  Any clarification?