Thailand to tighten entry rules for all nationalities in virus fight

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

you get the flu again and again because it mutates - a new vaccine needs to be created every year to combat it - if the flu didn't mutate then we would only get it once 

when someone gets COVID 19 and survives their body has antibodies and will find it easier to eradicate the virus next time ............................. unless of course it has mutated then all bets are off

Ok after some reading, there still is some debate, as to strength or length of antibody protection  but my blanket statement on lack of immunity is incorrect.

More here:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615375/what-is-herd-immunity-and-can-it-stop-the-coronavirus/

And

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection-get-covid-19-twice-sick-spread-relapse-a9400691.html

Edited by WalkingOrders
Link

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"There is no health insurance anywhere in the world that would specifically cover COVID-19 infections;"

Not strictly true, I was offered just that today by Kasikorn Bank, and Bangkok Bank have also been offering Virus insurance.

At what premium for what cover value?

28 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I just checked my current policy. AETNA bought in Thailand. No exclusions for pandemics, corona virus, new viruses etc. I am fully covered.

No exclusions for NEW viruses in my existing policy either... New policies will probably be another story but, I know for a fact Thai companies are selling insurance specifically for Covid-19.

Just now, paulbrow said:

I find it very interesting that they are insisting on this health certificate, however it is virtually impossible for a healthy person in Thailand to get tested for the virus. So they want what they won't even supply. Only sick people can get tested in Thailand.

Clearly the end goal is to stop people traveling to Thailand, much like Australia, Italy, New Zealand and USA...it's the right thing to do.

However, rather than being a Man about it and just closing down borders to any foreigners for a pre-determined timeframe, the Thai Government tried to use unrealistic paperwork so they don't be the bad guys and lose face, and now the confusion and panic has set it.

Had he just said "Closing borders for 21 days"...it would have been much easier.

Thai's have trouble being direct. They will overcomplicate things to avoid losing face.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Health Insurance covers you even if you travel. My US Policies also cover me here, and my Thai policy covers me when I go back to the US. Why would I need a travel Policy.  The Policy being requested by the Thai Government says "Health Insurance which shows Minimum Medical Coverage of 100,000 USD in THAILAND and covers COVID-19.  Please look closely Smedly

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CAAT-COVID-19-Practical-Guideline-18Mar20-1.pdf

you have a global health plan that covers for travel - bully for you 

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

semantics - they are talking about travel insurance - which includes health cover but now with exclusions - one of them being COVID 19

existing policies are not affected

how many times do I need to keep saying this

Where in the ministerial regulation does it say TRAVEL INSURANCE.....it does not........

(3) Check passengers’ insurance policy that shows minimum medical coverage in Thailand of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), in the amount not less than 100,000 USD

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, zydeco said:

And then one day you were infected with the conronavirus and died. But, hey, you were covered!

Jesus man  you must be the life of the party, but not me jack, I'll kick that virus to the curb in a heartbeat!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Ok after some reading, there still is some debate, as to strength or length of antibody protection  but my blanket statement on lack of immunity is incorrect.

More here:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615375/what-is-herd-immunity-and-can-it-stop-the-coronavirus/

And

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection-get-covid-19-twice-sick-spread-relapse-a9400691.html

are you now trying to educate me ?

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Thailand surrendered to the  infection  some time ago.  Someone put  tourism income ahead of national safety. Quite a contrast to the measures Vietnam has taken  vs. Thailand.  We will see how it pays off in  12-18 months.

Vietnam may become the preferred destination for  western tourists who wish to avoid  infection.  If Thailand  gets through the first wave, it will have the 2nd and 3rd waves over the next year to worry about and they will come during  peak tourism  time. Folks, this isn't going away, but is here to stay for a year, biggly.

just like in the west where they sacrificed peoples safety to try to ward off economic calamity, UK, Canada and the USA were all guilty of this..

Just now, smedly said:

are you now trying to educate me ?

What is with people here man? Just posting a couple of links, as there is debate over antibody strength and length, not trying to educate anyone. Thought I was being nice with some info.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The Thai Consulate in Savannakhet started enforcing the medical certificate TODAY Thursday 19th. No certificate, no visa.

How much we talk about in thai baht for this certificate?

Please send a notification.

This even impact Thai people wanting to return to Thailand. I have a friend who is stuck in China. She tested negative for COVID-19 and got document before taking her flight, but they did not allow her to board because she did not have insurance. Her boss purchased insurance and tried to get another flight the same day, but refused boarding again because the insurance did not cover COVID-19 specifically. Now she needs to quarantine herself in China for 14 more days, and then test for COVID-19, get insurance, and new plane ticket. Once in Thailand, she'll have to quarantine herself 14 more days, so her path to "freedom" will take around one month.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, nuckyt77 said:

I am at the moment in the Netherlands  and spend the whole morning asking around at local doctors here if and where I could get a test. As I am not sick and feeling very well: ..in nice words they all told me to f.ck off and not waste their time. Here tests are being reserved for people that are sick...not for healthy tourists. And I agree to that.

So...my holiday for May I just cancelled.  And I am sure I will not be the only one. The tourist industry in Thailand was already suffering when I left Thailand in January. Doing this will kill it and ... contrary to Europe..... no government aid to help the Thai companies survive.

Also no airline will fly people to a country that will make the airline pay if some immigration officer thinks the passenger(s) it flew in can not enter because the things  needed to enter are nearly impossible to get. 

Come on PM. Pinocchio do the same as USA and EU or Australia: show balls and say you, because of your now showing foolish policy during the Chinese new year, now have to close your border.  Because that is what he is doing. I always had my doubts about the official numbers of infected but now I am sure. They are much higher now and they have been since January ...only difference is..... they can not hide it any longer. Reading the last reports I am actually glad I am not in Thailand at the moment. It will get worse here I am convinced but in Thailand it will get worse too (and Pinocchio knows it only still does not admit it) and then I prefer to be near the Dutch health system then having to hand myself over to the Thai system. 

and I am so relieved I am not in Europe..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

do you know what the test tests for ..................................... antibodies 

Nobody has said you will be immune - your body will be geared up to fight it and the illness will be less severe or you won't even notice it

stop this nonsense now - go do some research before posting any more of this (deleted)

The test is to show who has already had the virus by checking antibodies.

Nobody has caught it twice so I'm assuming they are treating those people as immune and able to go back into society

I have not found an Insurance Company that will cover Covid 19 since it has been classified a Pandemic.

I bought 12 Months Insurance before coming here back in January  now they tell me I'm not Covered for This Pandemic

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

The test is to show who has already had the virus by checking antibodies.

Nobody has caught it twice so I'm assuming they are treating those people as immune and able to go back into society

it is a general understanding about the body and how it tackles a virus

no point in discussing it here - go read about it 

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

and what about your travel insurance you just arranged for your holiday

I wish people would stop posting about their medical cover "in thailand" it has no relevance to this topic

If I have health insurance that covers in more then one country I would have no need for additional travel insurance, and people were posting that health insurance does not cover covid-19, which triggered my post. So cool your jets man.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

they would then have to compensate people for hotels and flights 

No they wouldn't...refer to all other countries who did it the Manly way...they are not paying for anything.

• Like 2

How to hell is joe bloggs going to get insurance cover for carona..not a single company will cover any of us against this virus atm. And even if they did it would be an extortionate price maybe 1000s pounds.

This is the end surely ?

No farangs getting in then how would economy survive in tourist areas.   Westerners refused so obviously chinese and iranians etc will be refused.

This wont work

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nomad2019 said:

How to hell is joe bloggs going to get insurance cover for carona..not a single company will cover any of us against this virus atm. And even if they did it would be an extortionate price maybe 1000s pounds.

This is the end surely ?

No farangs getting in then how would economy survive in tourist areas.   Westerners refused so obviously chinese and iranians etc will be refused.

This wont work

Why not call a company and ask them.

12 hours ago, Mulambana said:

Instead of closing the border, why he is still playing with unproven ideas? What can't they learn for other countries. This is such a shame. Valuable times wasted and risking people's lives. Can't they see the pattern. Few days of 30+ cases and then it jumped to 60. Don't they study exponential growth in schools/colleges?

They wouldn't even know what you re talking about. Even 'University degrees' issued in Thailand are just worthless pieces of paper not even recognised in the 'real world'.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

just like in the west where they sacrificed peoples safety to try to ward off economic calamity, UK, Canada and the USA were all guilty of this..

unfortunately there is no magic spell to make this all go away, governments are doing what they can do - some better than others granted - it is what it is 

I just saw a news report on skynews were they had a camera in one of the ICU's treating COVID victims - it was harrowing watching them trying to breath - quite shocking

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Apart from the Insurance policy you need to do the Covid 19 medical test which my wife says will at least be 7,000 baht. I found this on prices from a news article 3 days ago. 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2020/03/16/some-hospitals-apply-farang-pricing-for-coronavirus-testing/

I'm so worried as I need to do a visa run soon to Laos. Every day the restrictions get worse. I just feel like creeping into a hole and hiding until this is all over then plead ignorance and pay the overstay later on down the line.

from what I'm reading today all borders including land will be closed, whether that is true is unknown but that is what is written, I would definitely get plan b together - as far as over staying your visa I wouldn't count on too much leniency with publicity of foreigners flaunting the law with their drinking escapes. You would hope for some slack cut but these are desperate times and like all countries, Thailand needs to look after itself. Wish you all the best in you quest to remain with your wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raccos21 said:

Every time they always come up with some crazy term of policy to make money. The best way is just to avoid traveling to Thailand and isolate this country in the near future.

I've been living here going on 5 years. Still loving it.

• Thanks 1