Lifestyle & Language

kankaroo

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the language section but I decided here because it is not about advice on learning Thai, more about advice on the benefits of learning Thai FLUENTLY. (mods : sorry if not in correct area :-)

I have lived in LOS for a few years and am now back in the UK. I would come over for a year or more at a time and spend about 6 months - 1 year back in the UK. I know it is not an ideal way to go about things but I am planning on changing all that. Basically my question is thus : what are the benefits of speaking Thai fluently as opposed to just quite well apart from the obvious fact that you can communicate a lot better and immerse yourself in the culture at a deeper level.

Would it help you find work? I know of people speaking fluent Japanese and getting good money from translating etc.

I am not in a great rush to return to Thailand just yet but I feel it would be a great waste if I just forgot all that I have learned over the years so I am in two minds whether to hit the books hard and get fluent, or keep them in the closet gathering dust. It has always been a dream of mine to speak another language really well so I think I will probably go ahead anyway, just curious of the perks ?

Cheers !

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically my question is thus : what are the benefits of speaking Thai fluently as opposed to just quite well apart from the obvious fact that you can communicate a lot better and immerse yourself in the culture at a deeper level.

1. any learning and the discipline required is good for you and your self development

2. you have to speak Thai well in order to truly understand how and why people think the way they do

3. Because of this increased understanding, you tend to stay calmer, have better control over any negotation; be less susceptible to being ripped off or taken advantage of; be less likely to act like an idiot

4. Because of this, you tend to be far more valuable as a supplier/staff/manager and far more respected as a partner/boss

5. By speaking Thai is it much easier to build quality friendships and relationships with Thai people (even ones who speak fluent english)

6. You can appreciate Thai music, movies, comedy, news, opinions etc in a way that a non Thai speaker cannot

7. You realise what a bubble many of the non-Thai speaking non-Thais have to live in here, and you appreciate the good things in life far more (glass half full, not almost empty) that accrue from living and fitting in here

8. If relationship wise, being able to speak Thai opens the door to a more fulfilling relationship, and if single, opens far more doors to quality relationships with semi-sane/almost-sane/actually-sane people rather than the many loons we read about here on this board - not always, but the odds get worse the less Thai you speak

9. You can almost always get a better price/level of service (except in tourist areas, where you might not)

10. For the things that annoy you, you can actually do something about them, or at least have a rational conversation and take constructive suggestions as far as possible, rather than stopping at 'you idiot, this is why your country sucks' that is typical of the non-Thai non-Thai speaking foreigner

11. Depending on your accent and english ability, you also open the doors to speaking to people living here who may not speak english, but do speak Thai e.g. my super hot ex girlfriend; not Thai, but spoke Thai; she couldn't speka da englit, and I would have been missing out otherwise; ditto for a few Japanese executives i know; I cannot speak Japanese and they can't/won't speak english to save face; in Thai we get along well

There is more money with more skills. Value of Thai language is somewhat questionnable outside of Thailand, but even so friends have received/missed out on great opportunities abroad as a result of being able to/not being able to speak Thai.

Basically my question is thus : what are the benefits of speaking Thai fluently as opposed to just quite well apart from the obvious fact that you can communicate a lot better and immerse yourself in the culture at a deeper level.

1. any learning and the discipline required is good for you and your self development

2. you have to speak Thai well in order to truly understand how and why people think the way they do

3. Because of this increased understanding, you tend to stay calmer, have better control over any negotation; be less susceptible to being ripped off or taken advantage of; be less likely to act like an idiot

4. Because of this, you tend to be far more valuable as a supplier/staff/manager and far more respected as a partner/boss

5. By speaking Thai is it much easier to build quality friendships and relationships with Thai people (even ones who speak fluent english)

6. You can appreciate Thai music, movies, comedy, news, opinions etc in a way that a non Thai speaker cannot

7. You realise what a bubble many of the non-Thai speaking non-Thais have to live in here, and you appreciate the good things in life far more (glass half full, not almost empty) that accrue from living and fitting in here

8. If relationship wise, being able to speak Thai opens the door to a more fulfilling relationship, and if single, opens far more doors to quality relationships with semi-sane/almost-sane/actually-sane people rather than the many loons we read about here on this board - not always, but the odds get worse the less Thai you speak

9. You can almost always get a better price/level of service (except in tourist areas, where you might not)

10. For the things that annoy you, you can actually do something about them, or at least have a rational conversation and take constructive suggestions as far as possible, rather than stopping at 'you idiot, this is why your country sucks' that is typical of the non-Thai non-Thai speaking foreigner

11. Depending on your accent and english ability, you also open the doors to speaking to people living here who may not speak english, but do speak Thai e.g. my super hot ex girlfriend; not Thai, but spoke Thai; she couldn't speka da englit, and I would have been missing out otherwise; ditto for a few Japanese executives i know; I cannot speak Japanese and they can't/won't speak english to save face; in Thai we get along well

There is more money with more skills. Value of Thai language is somewhat questionnable outside of Thailand, but even so friends have received/missed out on great opportunities abroad as a result of being able to/not being able to speak Thai.

I'm interested in your point 2 - why you have to speak Thai well in order to truly understand how and why people think the way they do? Would you like to explain more. what if they're Thai but speak english well / fluently, do they think differently in thai? :o

I'm interested in your point 2 - why you have to speak Thai well in order to truly understand how and why people think the way they do? Would you like to explain more. what if they're Thai but speak english well / fluently, do they think differently in thai? :o

Yes, the same as i think differently in Japanese than i do in English.

Edited by ZukiSuzuki

Because when you speak Thai, people lose far easier their reservations, and open themselves up so that you can have the same meaningful conversation you can have with people of cultures related to your own. You can show that your interest in the place you chose to live is more than just superficial.

And, you can converse with far larger sectors of society. There are many people here who do not speak English well enough to be secure in more difficult conversations, and even more who cannot speak English at all.

But - all of those have something to say that is worth listening to.

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the language section but I decided here because it is not about advice on learning Thai, more about advice on the benefits of learning Thai FLUENTLY. (mods : sorry if not in correct area :-)

I have lived in LOS for a few years and am now back in the UK. I would come over for a year or more at a time and spend about 6 months - 1 year back in the UK. I know it is not an ideal way to go about things but I am planning on changing all that. Basically my question is thus : what are the benefits of speaking Thai fluently as opposed to just quite well apart from the obvious fact that you can communicate a lot better and immerse yourself in the culture at a deeper level.

Would it help you find work? I know of people speaking fluent Japanese and getting good money from translating etc.

I am not in a great rush to return to Thailand just yet but I feel it would be a great waste if I just forgot all that I have learned over the years so I am in two minds whether to hit the books hard and get fluent, or keep them in the closet gathering dust. It has always been a dream of mine to speak another language really well so I think I will probably go ahead anyway, just curious of the perks ?

Cheers !

It is the only language my wife and I share so it makes it easier to converse. It was a significant help in getting my job - 360 Thais and (now) one other farung. I think it is something that should be a visa requirement to live here. The same people that never bother to learn Thai are the same type that criticise foreigners living in their homeland that don't speak the national language. Now that's going to fire up some people - so its goodnight from him and goodnight from me

CB

If you don't learn to speak Thai, how will you be high-handed and condescending to others who don't speak it fluently.

I've been here 5 years and don't speak fluently, I'd like to but between the family, staff and businesses I just don't have time to learn - I'd rather spend my time keeping up with technology which enables me to earn a good salary and look after my family nicely, learning Thai wouldn't make me any more money or any happier here, I'll probably be fluent one day but would never rub it in people's faces who are not.

To suggest that people who aren't fluent in Thai don't know the REAL Thailand, Shouldn't be issued Visas, get ripped off, aren't respected, don't understand any Thai people and won't experience true friendship or relationships is verging on the ludicrous and is certainly insulting to those who have great friendships, family, relationships and an enjoyable, amiable life here.

Its sometimes the misunderstandings, getting lost, having Thais trying out their English, that can often make situations fun.

Agree with all your points, especially the one above. A lot of these bubble-livers not only live in a bubble, but their only meaningful link to the world outside the bubble is their girlfriend/wife. Her viewpoint and take on things will color his viewpoint/take on things to a great extent.

I would add that it is a good thing to be able to read and write Thai in addition to speaking it. That opens up a whole 'nother world of convenience and meaning.

If you don't learn to speak Thai, how will you be high-handed and condescending to others who don't speak it fluently.

I've been here 5 years and don't speak fluently, I'd like to but between the family, staff and businesses I just don't have time to learn - I'd rather spend my time keeping up with technology which enables me to earn a good salary and look after my family nicely, learning Thai wouldn't make me any more money or any happier here, I'll probably be fluent one day but would never rub it in people's faces who are not.

To suggest that people who aren't fluent in Thai don't know the REAL Thailand, Shouldn't be issued Visas, get ripped off, aren't respected, don't understand any Thai people and won't experience true friendship or relationships is verging on the ludicrous and is certainly insulting to those who have great friendships, family, relationships and an enjoyable, amiable life here.

Its sometimes the misunderstandings, getting lost, having Thais trying out their English, that can often make situations fun.

Bubble-Boy, someone touts the benefits of knowing and understanding Thai well and you take it as a personal slight because you don't speak Thai well. It's all about you isn't it?

I've lived here many years and can get by in Thai OK and here is a truth for you all. VERY few expats can speak Thai "fluently".

Joe Cummings who has written the Lonely Planet Thailand for something like the last 50 years can. :D Raymond the big German guy can. That is all I have met in 20 years although I'm sure that there are a few more.

These people who treat you high-handed and condescendingly are usually want-to-bes who aren't that good at Thai themselves. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

O.K., I need some comments/advice here...

I have been trying to learn Thai for almost two years now. I took a 6 week intensive Thai class from a local university. I hired a tutor for 6 hours per week. I set aside two hours each morning and evening to study Thai. I practice when I can at the market, with my Thai friends, on the phone...all seemingly to no avail.

I know I am not stupid or a bad student. I got through 4 years of undergraduate college, then a master's then 4 more years graduate school for a doctorate, so I know how to study...or so I thought.

The only response I get when I try to speak Thai to a native-speaker it seems is a puzzled look and finally resorting to English or sign language. A close Thai friend said, Kit (my nickname) you understand pretty good but you speak not so well.

I do have a physical disability which makes it difficult for me to enunciate words and the tones are killers for me.

Any advice. Oh, and forget handwriting Thai, my disability affects my fine motor movements so handwriting English is almost impossible, let alone Thai.

Serious suggestions please. How long did it take you to learn? What am I doing wrong?

Bubble-Boy, someone touts the benefits of knowing and understanding Thai well and you take it as a personal slight because you don't speak Thai well. It's all about you isn't it?

Point proven really, "Bubble boy" is probably the weakest insult I have ever received - I'm sure that I enjoy it here every bit, and by the pessimistic viewpoint of your post I would say perhaps even more than yourself - I didn't say I didn't speak Thai well, I said I wasn't fluent, its not a competition, and there's no prize.

I could say that you haven't experienced Thailand until you have a Thai wife, a Baby, a business, have Thai staff to manage, have to deal with Thai customs or the Tax office etc...

To suggest that there is some secret Thailand with mysterious secrets that are only unlocked when you become fluent in Thai is pretty ridiculous, the high handedness and condescension apparent from a lot of people who are Fluent and boasting of it actually suggests they have a far more limited knowledge of Thailand or Thai'ness than they seem to think.

I have lived in thai fulltime for six years.

In that time I have realised that I am very slow at learning languages. Must be one of those with lopsided mathmatical brains I guess. Never taken any formal education, however, that is going to change this year as I intend to apply for permanent resident at the end of next year.

My spoken thai is passable. My understanding of thai spoken to me is much better. I have a good ear for sounds. My ability to read thai script is about that of a third grader. (Self taught). I watch the thai news every night & also practice reading a thai newspaper once a day. (Usually with some help, but I make sure I can read & comprehend at least one article)

I agree with almost all points Mr. Steve has set forth.

Without going into the negative comments Mr. Ben has set forth, I do think most falang can at least get by with a basic to medium understanding of the language, however, without the fullest acceptance that is awarded to reasonably fluent speakers by thai people.

One of the biggest assets I find in being semi - litterate in the thai language - is in business dealings. Being involved in a meeting of any description, with customers, suppliers etc., the people involved greatly appreciate you having taken the time to learn enough language to conduct yourself (and represent your entity), even if they speak English fluently themselves. They generally adjust the language level of the meeting to a level & a pace that I can fit into and be comfortable with, not just for my benefit, but for theirs as well.

So my answer to OP's thread, is that if any long term expats want the most out of his/her time lining LOS, a good grasp of the language is essential. Any attempt to learn will be appreciated by most thai's.

I really have to re-enforce Mr Steve's point #2. Learning the language will really help a falang understand the thai thought process a little better.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I do have a physical disability which makes it difficult for me to enunciate words and the tones are killers for me.

Any advice. Oh, and forget handwriting Thai, my disability affects my fine motor movements so handwriting English is almost impossible, let alone Thai.

Serious suggestions please. How long did it take you to learn? What am I doing wrong?

That is a bummer, and i fear that there is little more you can do about it other than what you have done already. But you can understand Thai well enough, and that is already more than most westerners can. And, i guess, close friends will understand what you try to say after a while without much effort.

I dunno, but i believe that any disability is outweighed by another talent. I have a slight learning disability that makes it more than hard for me to concentrate long enough to learn reading and writing (school was hel_l for me). But i have it far easier than many to memorize a language.

Don't see how my comments are negative, this is a forum for discussion - someone stated that you couldn't experience the REAL Thailand without being FLUENT in Thai, I disagreed, we all have our own experiences and none of them will be the same. Some people spend their time with their nose in a book learning Thai when others go out and about discovering different aspects of Thailand.

Neither is better than the other, Is a day spent learning Thai any more revealing about Thailand than travelling to a remote village, spending a day farming rice paddy, shooting fish out of a river with a musket, or participating in a local wedding or funeral?

In terms of business, if you have Thai clients you deal with directly then obviously you should learn Thai, All my clients speak English and my staff are all taking English lessons, for my business its more important they learn English than I learn Thai.

Edited by Ben@H3-Digital

Point proven really, "Bubble boy" is probably the weakest insult I have ever received - I'm sure that I enjoy it here every bit, and by the pessimistic viewpoint of your post I would say perhaps even more than yourself - I didn't say I didn't speak Thai well, I said I wasn't fluent, its not a competition, and there's no prize.

I could say that you haven't experienced Thailand until you have a Thai wife, a Baby, a business, have Thai staff to manage, have to deal with Thai customs or the Tax office etc...

To suggest that there is some secret Thailand with mysterious secrets that are only unlocked when you become fluent in Thai is pretty ridiculous, the high handedness and condescension apparent from a lot of people who are Fluent and boasting of it actually suggests they have a far more limited knowledge of Thailand or Thai'ness than they seem to think.

Please re-read the OP and the following posts by those who responded that there were benefits to knowing Thai. Unless I missed it, none of those responding positively boasted of being fluent in Thai, in fact they did not even say they were fluent in Thai. The gist of the points they made were that knowing Thai was indeed useful, and was a key to understanding and enjoying life here. That is true for any language, not just Thai. I may have missed the boastful and condescending tone you mention--if so please quote and let me know.

It is not at all ridiculous to say knowlege of a language unlocks many keys (mysterious or not) to a culture. It seems so obvious I cannot even believe you would doubt it. I don't know what country you are from, but do you think that your experience in your home country would be the same if you could not speak or read the native tongue? Let me assure you, it would be a completely different experience, with many more negatives, than the experience of someone who was able to function competently in the language.

Sorry I just don't understand how being FLUENT imparts a massive influx of knowledge against someone who has to think about certain phrases before they speak.

In terms of what I found condescending;

"3. Because of this increased understanding, you tend to stay calmer, have better control over any negotation; be less susceptible to being ripped off or taken advantage of; be less likely to act like an idiot" - The insinuation being that those who aren't fluent in Thai are more likely to act like an idiot.

"7. You realise what a bubble many of the non-Thai speaking non-Thais have to live in here, and you appreciate the good things in life far more (glass half full, not almost empty) that accrue from living and fitting in here" - Most people don't appreciate being told they live in some sort of unhappy bubble because they only know 30-40% of the language.

"10. For the things that annoy you, you can actually do something about them, or at least have a rational conversation and take constructive suggestions as far as possible, rather than stopping at 'you idiot, this is why your country sucks' that is typical of the non-Thai non-Thai speaking foreigner" - I wouldn't call this typical of non-Thai non-Thai speakers, but typical of idiots, and I don't like being tarred with the same brush.

The assumption that being FLUENT in Thai will also lead to a much more fulfilling relationship or friendship is basically saying that unless you are FLUENT in Thai you won' have as happy a marriage or as good a friend than Joe Bloggs next door who is fluent in Thai.

To be honest the more I think about this the less I tend to think that some of you guys understand what Fluency actually is.

Cheers !

I have lived in Thailand for the past eight years and i can get by in Thai. I dont honestly think that it is imperative to be fluent in Thai unless as, you mention above that you plan to be a translator.

My wife is Thai and we get along on a daily basis speaking a mixture of Thai and English, which i believe is a good thing because we learn from each other.

Most of the people that i deal with in business speak very good English so no worries there and if can can be so bold the normal day to day Thai is very basic. It revolves around beauty and food. I wish i had 100 baht for every time that i heard the words 'suay' and 'kinchow'. I would be a rich man. I honestly only know one farang that i would class as being fluent in the language and he has been here for many years and basically lives with Thais.

The other main aspect that affects all the farang here is the fact that most thais want to learn English. The Thais are a very intelligent and curious race so the questions are never ending.

Cheers, Rick.

Don't see how my comments are negative, this is a forum for discussion - someone stated that you couldn't experience the REAL Thailand without being FLUENT in Thai, I disagreed, we all have our own experiences and none of them will be the same. Some people spend their time with their nose in a book learning Thai when others go out and about discovering different aspects of Thailand.

Neither is better than the other, Is a day spent learning Thai any more revealing about Thailand than travelling to a remote village, spending a day farming rice paddy, shooting fish out of a river with a musket, or participating in a local wedding or funeral?

In terms of business, if you have Thai clients you deal with directly then obviously you should learn Thai, All my clients speak English and my staff are all taking English lessons, for my business its more important they learn English than I learn Thai.

Not that I totally disagree with you, but to lable fluent thai speakers as condescending and high-handed with a hollier than though attitude (I have met a few in bars with such attitudes, however, I think they were only fluent in thai language in their own minds & I think these people are in the minority), appeared to me as a negative comment that I didn't want to expound on in my first post.

Wasn't a flame.... honest :o

Soundman.

IMPORTANT: For all forum members fluent, proficient, or just knowing how to speak Thai fairly well-- be aware that those less fortunate than yourselves may be somewhat bitter and not open to the idea that their lack of such skills may put them at a disadvantage in some areas. In future, please refrain from making any comments that might imply that having a good grounding in Thai might offer any advantages, lest the aforementioned group take offence.

IMPORTANT: For all forum members fluent, proficient, or just knowing how to speak Thai fairly well-- be aware that those less fortunate than yourselves may be somewhat bitter and not open to the idea that their lack of such skills may put them at a disadvantage in some areas. In future, please refrain from making any comments that might imply that having a good grounding in Thai might offer any advantages, lest the aforementioned group take offence.

You obviously did not read my post.

Obviously, since it was posted (22:28:47) as I was composing my reply, posted 10 minutes after yours. Not sure what your point is anyway, since you don't seem to fit into the 'bitter' category I was referring to.

Obviously, since it was posted (22:28:47) as I was composing my reply, posted 10 minutes after yours. Not sure what your point is anyway, since you don't seem to fit into the 'bitter' category I was referring to.

Must have crossed over, but then it must have taken me 14 minutes to write it because i saw that your post was already there.

No i dont fall into that category at all but i do admire fluent speakers in any language and this should not make anyone feel bitter or disadvantaged. As i mentioned in my previous post it is not imperative that we farang speak Thai fluently.

Cheers, Rick

Again you are assuming that anyone who doesn't speak Thai is less fortunate than those that do. No offense but your posts read very negatively, if you can't argue a case then don't post, rather than just post sly remarks trying unsuccessfully to sound clever.

I can speak Thai "Fairly well", I'm certainly not fluent which is the automatic understanding, comprehension and free flow of conversation in accent without thinking about it, saying anything incorrectly and completely understanding the context. I think I've met perhaps one non-Thai person who is truly fluent in Thai.

:o

My spoken Thai is very good and I am often praised at how good my tones are, tried to learn how to read and write and found that a major challenge ( will really need to learn ).

I agree with the above rather sarcastic/funny comment.

Thailand is an EXTREMELY different place when you can speak the language.

Must have crossed over, but then it must have taken me 14 minutes to write it because i saw that your post was already there.

No i dont fall into that category at all but i do admire fluent speakers in any language and this should not make anyone feel bitter or disadvantaged. As i mentioned in my previous post it is not imperative that we farang speak Thai fluently.

Cheers, Rick

Hi Rick, I think we are pretty much on the same wavelength here. I too do not think it is necessary for all farang to speak Thai fluently in order to enjoy life here. I think the point made by some others can be summed up as the more Thai you know the better, and that a good grasp of the language can really make a difference in the life you experience. This is true for any language, not just Thai.