(yet another) farang that wants to live in Thailand

Hello everyone.
This is my first post so sorry for the noob-like mistakes I gonna make in this post (and sorry if I missed the correct sub-forum).

A little about me:
-Argentinean, living in Argentina. 23 years old, working in the IT world since 20 (mainframe, no fun and good-looking modern things). No degree, just started University this year (I know, I started late. I took too much time to decide what to study)
My English isn't the best, nor the worst (Spanish is spoken in Argentina, for those who wonder). Planning on seriously learning Thai on my own (with help of YouTube and uncle Google, plus talking with some Thais thru phone).

Idk exactly how to write this post but I gonna go straight to the point (or try to): I want to live in Thailand (well just what the title says).

Came here in 2018, stayed 10 days (few in Nakhon Ratchasima, in a rural area, few in Bangkok and few in Krabi). Now, as I'm writing this (22/03/2020), I'm going back to my country (if Covid allows!... right now I'm on Dubai airport...) after spending 23 days in Maha Sarakham (In the main district. Didn't travel intra-thailand too much: personal reasons).

The thing is: I want to live in Thailand. I'm not worried too much about exactly where: It can be in the "downtown" part of Bangkok, or in the most rural possible place, I don't mind about it (I would like to go to Ubon Ratchathani tho, for... personal reasons).

After reading quite a lot (but not enough I guess... never is enough!), I came to the conclusion that moving to live here gonna be -impossible- for me right now (in the short-mid term I mean).

Because:
-I don't have a degree.
-My working experience is >3 years, not that much. Also, there aren't precisely many job positions/offers that I could cover/apply to (I mean, mainframe developer jobs).
-I'm no way a "rich farang", nor my salary is a king-like salary compared to that of a Thai salary (remember: I'm from Argentina, not some wealthy EU country), so I couldn't come and "open a company" in "the Land of Smiles" (I read about opening maybe a restaurant but you need like 2M baht and well, there's nothing I can do there).

Well so, plain and simple, my question is: is there any (legal) way to go and move there? Marriage? (from what I understand, a O-Visa doesn't guarantee anything to me: I wouldn't get a job with it, still would need the Work Permit).

And there's not much more... I think (maybe) there's still a "hidden card" for me that I didn't read about yet. But looks like all I can do is to get a darn degree and then, degree + working experience + Thai language in my vocabulary, I will be able to get a job there....

BUT: (for personal reasons), I'm not picky about the jobs I could (legally) get in Thailand. What I'm saying with this is:
-If I could work in a 7-11, I would do it.
-If I could work as an "cook assistant" in a street food "restaurant", I would do it.
-If I could work as a waiter in a restaurant, I would do it.
-If I could work cleaning, I would do it.

-ANY (legal) Job would do it for me. No, I mean, seriously, any job would do it.

That is, I'm not worried about having a "good salary" (remember: my salary is already quite lame and sad, while working in a "good and clean" office, which I'm tired off, the office I mean, but that's for another post: I don't to bother you all more than I'm doing already).

So that's all, I (tried) to make it the shortest I can (trust me, it's very difficult for me to create short posts in forums. In The Wall Master)

Any advice, memory, story to tell, rant, insult, or whatever you have that could enlight me or confirm what I already know, will be infinitely appreciated.

PS: if anyone wonder what "personal reasons" are, I think you can guess very easily.

• Like 1

Right.

As others has said it is not easy to get a job in Thailand.

However, there are a few farang guys who have SEO companies etc in Bangkok.

If you can afford it perhaps do your degree here and then that might get "Thailand" out of your system?

Or, change to the hospitality industry. Seems about the only one where "farangs" get work. You seem to communicate well in English, plus Spanish, if you threw in a bit of Thai, Japanese, or Chinese Mandarin you'd be set.

AGODA always has loads of jobs - with an IT background you might be a good fit?

https://careersatagoda.com/vacancies/?searchphrase=&locations=country_thailand

I know last year and possibly still now - Beer Republic in Chitlom had 3 Spanish Managers from Madrid.

Good luck!

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

OP seems to have a driving ambition to be poor.  He would have no future in Thailand.  Nobody needs him here as an unskilled worker.  Even if he had a degree it wouldn't improve his opportunities much.  

I understand that Argentina has immense problems of its own, but Thailand is not going to offer a better life to Argentinians.

If he completes his degree then teaching is an option. His English language skills appear superior to a number of foreign English teachers I've met here (one African "teacher" was incapable of holding a conversation with me). Alternatively digital nomad.

• Like 2

Most jobs are reserved for the Thai people as they themselves don't have enough. It is very difficult for Thai employers to apply for work permit as I heard.

They certainly don't need any foreign IT staff.

If you are young at 23, it's better to go to America or Europe.

'Learn' Thai? I have seen people who have been learning Thai for more than 10 years and still can't speak or write basic Thai. Thai language is a very different animal than learning other European languages.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

If he completes his degree then teaching is an option. His English language skills appear superior to a number of foreign English teachers I've met here (one African "teacher" was incapable of holding a conversation with me). Alternatively digital nomad.

The competition for English teachers is tough. Every Tom, Dick and Harry I know want to become an English teacher but most have left Thailand disappointed.

How did that African teacher get that job in the first place and where is he teaching?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I learned both Thai and Lao/issan at the same time. I had reached a reasonable conversational level within months and I'm in my 60s. Can learn to read and write on line. I would recommend learning to read and write at a very early stage.

I am not sure what's your 'reasonable conversational level' as it means different things to different people.

There are nine levels of language proficiency in any languages. Level 1 won't go far. 

Thai people took 11 years to study English but their language proficiency is still low. Most can't complete a single sentence.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I am not sure what's your 'reasonable conversational level' as it means different things to different people.

There are nine levels of language proficiency in any languages. Level 1 won't go far. 

Thai people took 11 years to study English but their language proficiency is still low. Most can't complete a single sentence.

I'm not Thai, my proficiency is fine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Your girlfriend in Korat will have to wait I’m afraid. 

I’m guessing you may have a sprog on the way too, hopefully not.  

He should get off his bum, and fight to move her to Argentina, easy for her to be happy there. Easier than in Europe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

As you are already a mainframe developer, learn how to develop Apps for android and IOS. There is work for that and you will earn a lot more than a teaching job.

Even better would be to get the teaching job, which would get him the Non-B visa he needs to stay here for a year at a time (be sure the school/agency gives a one year contract), then do app development as his side gig. Showing up and saying "I will support myself in Thailand with app development" will not get him a visa.

Several of the teachers I've known here have done this, as they found they're left with an awful lot of downtime with all the holidays, activities, and meetings throughout the school year. They've told me of trading crypto, running websites, and teaching Chinese kids online, for quite a bit of extra income. Then this income goes a lot further here, than it would in their home countries.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
Typo
  • Like 1

Well, as I said, I'm traveling right now (luckily enough, I gonna make it home safely after all!)

First, no, I'm not some kind of troll or spammer, I'm a genuine person, and I have never posted in this forum in my life.

Second. As I expected, I was slammed in my face multiple times with your replies. Well, at least I can confirm that my "wish" is kinda impossible.

Third. Thank God any of you is stupid and you all got it quickly that my "personal reasons" is a girl. Bingo!

Fourth. The girl said she wants to come here, but doesn't want to leave her family "behind". Please, don't turn this on a "how to deal with thai girls" post. I'm aware of all the horror stories that involve a farang + a Thai girl, and I'm aware I can become one of those farangs someday (I obviously hope not...).

Actually there are lots of good replies, more than I expected (I didn't expect more than 1 or 2), and would like to expand my comments when I can put my hands over a darn physical keyboard at home (complicated to write walls on a smartphone), replying to those that particularly said interesting things. Seems like I have lot of time, after all, the quarantine doesn't let me do much more.

Thanks for replies so far! I appreciate the honesty of you all, much slaps to my face but we'll, I expected them to came lol.

I don't have a degree but loads of work experience. I interviewed one company in Bangkok owned by foreigners (Colombians) and they didn't mind hiring people without degree. In the end I decided to not push through, because I figured I could earn more money through other means than a job in Thailand. Also, I don't find living in Bangkok at all appealing and going to the office day by day. I kinda left my home country to get rid of that way of life.

With that said, a wage of 80.000 - 100.000 THB was acceptable at the time. I imagine compared to an Argentinian wage that could be quite decent? For Thai people it's a lot of money (in the country side many people only earn 10.000 - 15.000 THB per month).

I believe you might be able to get some IT job in Bangkok. Mainframe stuff might be useful for banks for example. However, you're still quite young, so I guess you should be able to proof you're good. Perhaps have a profile on StackOverflow, side projects on Github, stuff like that … That's what I have and it helps a lot when applying for positions.

Still, you only stayed a short time in Thailand. From your post I guess you met some girl in Ubon Ratchathani. It's better to visit again for a much longer time. You can't really be sure you want to live in a country by just visiting for such a short time.

Edited by wolf81