Thailand reports 122 new coronavirus cases, raising total to 721

webfact

4 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Wait till the ten thousands of Thais they lost their jobs and traveled home to their families spread the virus there. They should self-isolate but how can this be possible when they live with their family members in one room? 

The boom will come in about 2 weeks time.

All the people escaping Bkk and surrounding areas will go home and infect thousands, not hundreds.

Watch the fallout at the hospitals then, no beds, no meds and no idea!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“Future is in your hands” – health official, 122 new infection cases reported

000_1Q31Q3.jpg

A woman and two children, all wearing face masks as a preventive measure against the spread of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, leave a supermarket in Hadyai district in Thailand’s southern province of Songkla on March 22, 2020. (Photo by Madaree TOHLALA / AFP)

Thailand has now reached a critical point which could see the country go either the way of several European countries that are being ravaged by the coronavirus outbreak or that of countries like Japan and South Korea which have managed to contain the spread of the deadly virus, a senior public health official said this morning.

“The future is now in the hands of the Thai people,”said Dr. Suppakij Sirilak, the deputy secretary general of the Public Health Ministry said.

Speaking at a daily press briefing, Suppakij said Thailand has seen an exponential jump in the number of infection cases in the past one week which is a clear indication that things are going to get worse.

“We started with a few cases of infections. Then we had dozens of cases. And now we are talking about hundreds,” he said.

Suppakij painted the grim picture as the ministry today reported 122 new infection cases, raising the total number of infected patients to 721.

Using the mathematical model, he said there is a strong possibility that Thailand could follow the footsteps of countries like Italy and the US which now each have tens of thousands of infection cases and mounting death tolls.

“And that is something unavoidable if we do not follow directives from the authorities to stay home and practice serious social distancing,” he said.

He said Japan, Taiwan and South Korea should serve as a good example as they have been able to effectively contain the spread of the virus.

“This is what medical experts call the golden period.  We now have a choice to go either the way of some of the European countries of that of Japan and South Korea,” he said.

Suppakij said a continuous surge in number of coronavirus patients will eventually put a strain on the public health care system.

“I can’t imagine how our health care system can handle that kind of situation,” he said.

He called on the Thai people to take the stay-at-home directive seriously and to avoid mass gatherings outside.

“We have this stay-at-home directive. And yet we still see crowds of people hanging out and drinking together,” he said.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/future-is-in-your-hands-health-official-122-new-infection-cases-reported/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-03-23

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

The hospitals and provinces were under orders not to give out any info, and thus it was not until things started leaking that the numbers started to move.  

I don't think so, Thai hospitals are often overflowing anyway, it's normal.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/587ccdaa-91a8-4305-a86f-30ea43558f0b/IO_Private_Hospital_190624_EN_EX.aspx

They simply turned people away with a bag of paracetamol and amoxy and they are used to it. SNAFU.

• Thanks 1

The data as presented suggests that ALL confirmed cases of CV here are hospitalised.  Clearly they are NOT reporting numbers who have tested positive, but show just mild symptoms and are self isolating at home.

... or are they forcing anyone who has tested positive into hospital... which is the last place I would want to be if only showing mild symptoms.  This could explain why so few are (requesting) being tested.

I'd suggest there are many more unknowingly infected, with no or just mild symptoms, that could be spreading the virus MUCH further afield.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He said Japan, Taiwan and South Korea should serve as a good example as they have been able to effectively contain the spread of the virus.

and I just said that on the other post... maybe more saying it would help them to move into the right direction, come on Anutin ask them how they did it

• Like 2

Posts with unattributed content have been removed, please provide a link to the source of information when posting. 

A lobbying troll post has been removed:

5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

Most people getting the virus will get no symptoms/mild symptoms, while a small minority get so sick they end up in a hospital.  As a rule of thumb 92% have mild symptoms while 8% end up in hospital with serious symptoms and need treatment.

Given the overview in the 1st post where they say they have 668 in hospital, and if these 668 are 8% of the total the total numbers would be 10000+ infected.  What is odd with these numbers is they have only 1 death, which is a very low number. Something does not add up here... 

edit: Numbers from Norway today, 2371 active cases (total), 193 in hospital = 8,1%

Edited by JimLahey
added stats from Norway
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They simply turned people away with a bag of paracetamol and amoxy and they are used to it. SNAFU.

yep. 2 for 2 Paracetamol. amoxyl and the muscle relaxant whose name I don't recall but which was the third commission item.

The important word there is 'commision'.

3 hours ago, JimLahey said:

Most people getting the virus will get no symptoms/mild symptoms, while a small minority get so sick they end up in a hospital.  As a rule of thumb 92% have mild symptoms while 8% end up in hospital with serious symptoms and need treatment.

Given the overview in the 1st post where they say they have 668 in hospital, and if these 668 are 8% of the total the total numbers would be 10000+ infected.  What is odd with these numbers is they have only 1 death, which is a very low number. Something does not add up here... 

edit: Numbers from Norway today, 2371 active cases (total), 193 in hospital = 8,1%

Been covered in similar topic already. If COVID-19 causes pneumonia and the patient dies, it goes down on the certificate - Cause of Death: pneumonia. I very much doubt any tests for COVID-19 will have been done in the majority of cases so who's to say it wasn't pneumonia? I strongly suspect very few tests forCOVID-19 have been done outside os BKK and Pattaya.

I suspect the large part of the hidden numbers will be outside of BKK where procedures are much more lax and waiting rooms are full to overflowing on an average day.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

yep. 2 for 2 Paracetamol. amoxyl and the muscle relaxant whose name I don't recall but which was the third commission item.

The important word there is 'commision'.

Norgesic. Standard "bug out bag" ????

New York USA has 18.8 million population they have tested & show 15,168 positive

Thailand has 3.5 as many with 69 Million population show 721 positive?

I am guessing Thailand has a wealth of no idea how big the actual number may be

Edited by meechai

These are still incredibly low numbers. Not cause for panic. Not yet. Let us see how this plays out. Hopefully the experts that claim the heat dulls the spread of this virus are right. I do believe they are. And the timing is perfect, as the entire nation is heating up right now. There is not a single tropical country in the world that has over 2,000 cases at this moment. Even Brazil, which is enormous, has less than 2,000. And it has 212 million people. So, let us be calm, even minded, and see how this plays out.

I for one, feel this is one of the safest nations on earth, at this time. Granted, I am not in Bangkok, so it is easier to say all this. 

Tragicomic that the authorities are waking up now. As if corvid-19 should come to the world but not to Thailand. Wondering what iq level it is at the government house. They have so many stupid ideas, like going to a temple to pray, then it will go away. Waiting for the heat to come and then it will go away by itself and remember to drink alcohol, it helps .. Is the gouvement house a circus with only clowns? One day I hope you run down the government so you Thai people can live in a normal world without more stupidity ..

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Future is in your hands” – health official, 122 new infection cases reported

He forget to tell what should be the continuing part, "Because we in your government will do very litlle and what we will do will be wrong".

17 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Anutin ask for help from a 'dirty Foreigner"?  He would rather castrate himself with a rusty machete.

Well actually, I think he SHOULD be castrated...with a dull spoon...Just my humble opinion of course. ( and I am unanimous in that )

Whomever wrote the picture caption for this article deserves to be fired. To describe the facemasks worn by the woman and two children as "preventative" is not only inaccurate but downright foolhardy.

Flimsy surgical masks of this kind offer virtually no protection against viruses. Misleading the public into believing they do will simply encourage unsafe behavior and result in COVID-19 spreading even faster.

Whatever happened to the much-vaunted government crackdown on fake news?