Trapped in paradise: Tourists stranded by virus seek visa extensions

webfact

Trapped in paradise: Tourists stranded by virus seek visa extensions

By Sultan Anshori

2020-03-23T145009Z_1_LYNXMPEG2M1HD_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BALI-IMMIGRATION.JPG

Foreign citizens stand outside local immigration office as they queue for extending their visa permit, amid the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Jimbaran, Bali, Indonesia, March 23, 2020. REUTERS/Johannes P. Christo

KUTA, Indonesia (Reuters) - Travellers stranded by coronavirus in some of Southeast Asia's idyllic tourism hotspots are trying to extend visas as more countries enforce travel restrictions that in some cases make it impossible to go home.

The total number of stranded tourists is not known, but scenes of frustration are playing out in several countries.

On the Indonesian resort island of Bali - famed for its beaches, terraced rice fields and cultural sites - hundreds of tourists in face masks queued up outside the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office in the tourist area of Kuta seeking legal permission to extend their stay.

"We have to stay here as we have no choice," said Natalie Gisbert, a traveller from New Caledonia, the self-governing French territory in the South Pacific, who said her government was closing airports at home.

American visitor Felix Isuk, who works in Singapore, said he thought it was better to stay put in Southeast Asia than to return to the United States.

"In the U.S. there are about 30,000 cases," Isuk said. "So, I think if things or situation get worse here I'll go back to Singapore. So that's the main reason why I'm staying here in Indonesia."

Indonesia has 579 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus that has swept the world, with 49 dead. The island of Bali has reported six of those confirmed cases and two of those deaths.

"A LITTLE BIT CRAZY"

In Thailand, the main immigration centre in the capital Bangkok was crowded on Monday with hundreds of tourists and other foreign nationals trying to extend visas before they expired.

"I've been here since 8.30 a.m.!" one man cried on being told officials could not process his application that afternoon. 

A long queue snaked through the building, and many were told to come back another day.

The problems are by no means confined to Bangkok.

Rada Sereseanu and her husband, touring Southeast Asia in a camper van, had planned to drive into Myanmar but the German couple find themselves stuck in southern Thailand as the country shuts its land borders.

"We thought the situation would get better, but it seems to be getting a little bit crazy," Sereseanu said by telephone from near the seaside area of Hua Hin.

Thailand has seen sharp spikes in coronavirus cases, bringing its total number of cases to 721 from 147 in the last week.

In Vietnam, where the government has announced a ban on all foreigners entering, British ambassador Gareth Ward urged UK citizens to seek the earliest commercial flights and gave an embassy email address to contact.

He also advised finding a hotel near an airport in either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City.

"You should prepare for the fact that you may not be able to leave quickly, so choose a place that you can afford for an extended period of time," he said.

(Additional reporting by Chayut Setboonsarg and Poppy McPherson in Bangkok, and James Pearson in Hanoi. Writing by Kay Johnson; Editing by Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-24
  • Sad 1

...I arrived Thailand in early November with my return ticket just before Songkran. By New Years' and hearing of the Wuhan 2019 n_CoV, I began sussing out flights. Once Chinese flights were blocked by Trump, I realized Thailand would never halt flights from Wuhan. I flew out of Thailand in late January.

People had MONTHS too get their ass out of town. If Thais know they got you over a barrel, who is the fool now?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

i got to CW at 740 am. left right at noon with a rejection to extend. i was lucky since i tried to get into many areas, was told no, went the other way around and tried again and eventually told yes. it was hard. was told no many times to entering the waiting area becaue they want to keep numbers down to social distancing but the numbers that they are serving are only visibile inside! 

so how to know when you're being calle dup next? !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

100% correct - do you think they care about foreigners getting sick and having to pay huge medical bills, they would prefer we were all in hospital - nice big earner

I will be paying someone to do my 90 day report - no way going near an immigration office

Glad i renewed mine last weeks in Patts,local immgration useless and want a bribe for everything,agent will do the 90 days for me.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

if you are wanting to hear something sensible from authorities then you are in the wrong place

Thailand the hub of everything

- worst air pollution in the world

- worst road deaths in the world (for many years no improvements)

- after decades of opportunity remain 3rd world developing nothing of their own

- holds the world record for military coups - I wonder why

- claims to be democratic which is highly questionable 

- probably the worst corruption levels in the world and are experts hiding it

- very quickly destroying western tourism and confidence

- destroying the confidence of retirees with bureaucratic nonsense 

- as for COVID-19 - I see another hub emerging 

Thailand doesn't have the worst air pollution in the world, i'm from southern california .. 

22 minutes ago, csmith said:

@smedly

I'm guessing you are not living in Thailand because why on Earth would you be here after sharing this negative BMW model?

BMW .… Bitching, Moaning, Whinging

my comments are very direct at only a few people who are holding this country back

as for where I choose to live - my business

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

They could just have people pay for 30 day extensions online. Government officials are worried about "security reasons". Also lets be honest its obv some of the higher ups are just pure racist against farangs here.

This is affecting many more Asians than farang.

Same photos could be made yesterday at Pattaya immigration. Same amount of people, no distancing whatsoever, just checking the temperature when letting you inside the building (obviously to protect themselves, not you who already spent 40 minutes standing face to face with other visitors). I regret for not making the photos.

Found one on the internet. Pay attention - there are several lines under the roof not seen at his photo. Later all these people are let in inside the mail building where at least 100 people stay in the crowded and small place.9cbbf271-6abf-4d3e-a113-3e78d17eb05c.JPG

Edited by Zikomat