Leading Thai doctor tells the public: STAY HOME, fears there could be 350,000 COVID-19 cases

webfact

Leading Thai doctor tells the public: STAY HOME, fears there could be 350,000 COVID-19 cases

3pm.jpg

The dean of Thailand's respected Sirirat Hospital in Bangkok has told Thais to stay home immediately.

Unless people in Thailand change their risky behavior there will be more than 350,000 cases and more than 7,000 deaths from Covid-19 by mid April. 

Dr Prasit Wattanapha said Thais must stop any risky behaviour. This would be congregating in public or not observing strict social distancing measures.

He said Thailand's infection rate was like Germany showing a 33% spike. 

It would be hard to contain the virus like they had in Japan. 

He admitted that the Thai authorities have been too slow to react. The best they could do was restrict the rise. 

If Thais continue to go out and display risky behavior he predicted 351,948 infections by April 15th - just three weeks away.

But if there is a nationwide lock down this could be restricted to 24,269.

If there are 351,948 infections he said that 52,792 would require hospital treatment. 

A total of 17,579 would need to be in ICU. 

He predicted 7,039 deaths. 

But if Thais did things like stay home the 24,269 figure was possible. 

Of these 3,640 would be in hospital, 1,213 in ICU and 485 would die. 

He also noted the capacity in personnel terms in the public health system was 29,449 doctors and 126,666 nurses.

In private hospitals there were 7,711 doctors and 24,905 nurses. 

Work Point News did not report on the capacity in terms of vital equipment like ventilators, notes Thaivisa. 

Sirirat is one of the country's leading public hospitals, notes Thaivisa, and was the permanent home to the last monarch, Rama IX, in the final years of his life before he died there in October 2016. 

Source: Workpoint News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been staying home already the last two weeks. Unfortunately, I still see people outside carrying on as normal. The longer we leave it the longer we have to quarantine.

The government also need to set up an allowance for the unemployed and the very poorest. We will pay you to stay home and watch YouTube, etc. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cooked said:

Lady turned up back in this village after somehow "escaping" from Bangkok. Told to stay home she was seen walking around. She talked to the lotto seller, guy in wheelchair needing dialysis twice a week, he of course had contact with many people that day, and most likely wouldn't survive Covida.

Yesterday she went to the village market which takes place at the railway station before the vendors take the train into town to sell there. This morning an ambulance arrived, not sure what happened then but she had to leave home. 

Faced with this kind of selfish stupidity I'm not sure how Thailand can escape the worse. 

We're on lockdown for now.

Maybe some well-meaning and socially aware Thai citizen in the village dobbed her in?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It keeps being urged, but it isn't being implemented.

Thailand has had the luxury of a very slow increase in cases from late Jan - now, yet have done nothing to prepare for this inevitable rise. The rules won't be followed without proper enforcement, however most things of any real importance in Thailand aren't properly enforced. 

Slow like a buffalo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Better effort than yesterday's talking doctor who suggested that Thailand has the more serious 'Italian Job' strain of the virus.

you need to read up on that - it came from China............period

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

He is very specific in his numbers. 

Wonder if he can predict how many road deaths there will be next Thursday.

One thing you can be sure of, there will be 50 (maybe 49.873) times as many die on the road on Thursday as there will be to die of Corona-19 on the same day !

• Like 1

We had it after our house guest tested positive upon arrival at his destination and we developed symptoms shortly after.  Fortunately a regular mild case but it gave us a good view into the state of preparation in Thailand.   Testing is unobtainable even in our case. Unless you have a moderate to severe case forget it.  We are on a 6 day wait list by which time the virus may be undetectable.  Most hospitals didnt want to touch us for an Xray or scan.  The only ones that would said they were overwhelmed and if we were ok just stay at home.  We were fortunate to manage to obtain some hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin through a contact. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It keeps being urged, but it isn't being implemented.

Thailand has had the luxury of a very slow increase in cases from late Jan - now, yet have done nothing to prepare for this inevitable rise. The rules won't be followed without proper enforcement, however most things of any real importance in Thailand aren't properly enforced. 

unfortunately this is exactly the circumstances in most countries other than China with the UK and the USA potentially being the next Italy, but I agree, Thailand won't be spared..

12 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

We had it after our house guest tested positive upon arrival at his destination and we developed symptoms shortly after.  Fortunately a regular mild case but it gave us a good view into the state of preparation in Thailand.   Testing is unobtainable even in our case. Unless you have a moderate to severe case forget it.  We are on a 6 day wait list by which time the virus may be undetectable.  Most hospitals didnt want to touch us for an Xray or scan.  The only ones that would said they were overwhelmed and if we were ok just stay at home.  We were fortunate to manage to obtain some hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin through a contact. 

sounds like North America..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

My neighbors down the soi have been staying home alright. In fact they had guests over yesterday evening.

As I passed their house returning from the neighborhood store, I saw them all merrily - and in close proximity - sitting together in a circle on the concrete floor... sharing food with one another by using TWO SINGLE SPOONS that went from mouth to mouth!

I almost couldn't trust my eyes. Yet, there they were. I just thought, "is it possible that people are that dumb?" as I walked on, face-palming.

Another neighbor runs a second hand car business - and business has never been brighter. Instead of staying home after having been sent on a forced vacation by their employers, literally dozens of folks with their entire families in tow are now dropping by daily, trying to peddle off their vehicles. And I've seen not one of them wearing a face mask.

With undisciplined, ignorant and selfish citizens like these everywhere in this country, I think Dr. Prasit's prediction is not far off the mark. This is going to get bad, bad, bad if people don't finally shape up and implement some serious measures to protect themselves as well as their communities.  

world wide people will 'start to get it' when the bodies become so numerous they need to be stacked, mass deaths tend to have a sobering effect..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He admitted that the Thai authorities have been too slow to react. The best they could do was restrict the rise. 

Strange how many experts on the subject are popping up at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

My neighbors down the soi have been staying home alright. In fact they had guests over yesterday evening.

As I passed their house returning from the neighborhood store, I saw them all merrily - and in close proximity - sitting together in a circle on the concrete floor... sharing food with one another by using TWO SINGLE SPOONS that went from mouth to mouth!

I almost couldn't trust my eyes. Yet, there they were. I just thought, "is it possible that people are that dumb?" as I walked on, face-palming.

Another neighbor runs a second hand car business - and business has never been brighter. Instead of staying home after having been sent on a forced vacation by their employers, literally dozens of folks with their entire families in tow are now dropping by daily, trying to peddle off their vehicles. And I've seen not one of them wearing a face mask.

With undisciplined, ignorant and selfish citizens like these everywhere in this country, I think Dr. Prasit's prediction is not far off the mark. This is going to get bad, bad, bad if people don't finally shape up and implement some serious measures to protect themselves as well as their communities.  

And its even worse in some Hospitals.

I took the Missus to Banglamung Hospital this morning  for a check up.

What I witnessed was mind blowing to say the least.

Many Staff members were not even wearing Face Masks, there was no hand sanitiser  gel readily available, patients just wandering around with no Face Masks and eating food in the waiting areas,

Close contact sport seemed to be the order of the day, and last , but not least, their were Blood Pressure Machines in use  everywhere, and one patient after another was using them with no sanitation between users.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

One thing you can be sure of, there will be 50 (maybe 49.873) times as many die on the road on Thursday as there will be to die of Corona-19 on the same day !

I know thats today but.... road accidents arnt going up exponentially fortunately.  ????

• Like 2