Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

@jmccarty

The most likely scenario would be what I have posted before

1. Non-essential services (entertainment places such as bar, massage, boxing, ladyboy shows) will be closed.

2. Beaches and parties will be closed

3. No interprovincial travel 

4. No dine-in (only take-away in restaurants)

5. Shorter opening hours for banks and supermarkets

6. Curfew at night time until morning.

Some of these have already been implemented in various stages during the past few days.

It's going to be boring staying in Thailand for those who came to Thailand for the 'fun'. 

And there will likely be army presence sooner or later to enforce it all. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zikomat said:

I got 7 day extension for 1900 baht. Now my options:

1. to leave the country if possible

2. hope for the change of policy by immigration and reapply for another extension in 7 days. Or be granted an automatic extension with everybody else (the best but unlikely scenario).

3. an overstay for not more than 90 days. Quite risky in the current unpredictable situation.

people called me crazy for packing up and leaving back in late January. I never would roll the dice with a country like Thailand in a situation like this 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Mung said:

people called me crazy for packing up and leaving back in late January. I never would roll the dice with a country like Thailand in a situation like this 

People would have felt the same about China, yet look how things are turning out. Their hospitals probably aren't better than Italy in most regions. The Thai response so far hasn't been inspiring, but I do think they'll have an easier time mandating a strict quarantine. Let's just hope they do it.

Edited by jacob29

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

People would have felt the same about China, yet look how things are turning out. Their hospitals probably aren't better than Italy in most regions. The Thai response so far hasn't been inspiring, but I do think they'll have an easier time mandating a strict quarantine. Let's just hope they do it.

I was thinking more along the lines of visa issues, penalties, fines, medical care costs if you become sick, desperate Thais running wild when food / money runs out and so forth. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slip said:

Crikey Danny- Your friend must get bored quickly:  The new measures were only announced last night.  I guess there are many in the same boat though.  I'm in the YUK at the moment with a flight back on the 31st of this month and due to return to work mid-May with a non-imm B which needs to be extended by mid-June.  Who knows what will happen, but we made a decision not to dash like mad back home to Thailand at the end of last week, hunker down, and wait it out here.

:wink:

You'd probably have to as there's quiet talk of nobbling the airports to passenger traffic (in/out) in the UK... Thai state of emergency and their new entry requirements would be another hurdle.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zikomat said:

You Consider yourself entitled to stay in Thailand during these hard times and advise me to take a dangerous 24 hours long trip to my country. Because I am “just a tourist”. Do you consider tourists to be the second class people who should be treated worse than those who , for example, retired in Thailand? Could you explain your reasoning behind those views?

Thainess

Sorry i dont trust the CCP numbers and the head of WHO kissing up to China seemed overzealous.

Germanys population is multitudes way less in population than China. Yet China is merely almost double and they were the origin of this.

But yeah, glad to be out of Thailand from this. It is too unpredictable and I think the increased hostility towards westerners from immigration and trickling back into society comes from the top.

Did Pra lose face when the Western media questioned his leadership and ethics years ago and now this is the effect? Who knows..but I dont want to find out being on the wrong end of the stick when SHTF

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And there will likely be army presence sooner or later to enforce it all. 

Plus... one of their favourite ideas - a possible shutdown of social media. He mentioned something about that they would keep an eye on social media and if necessary close parts of it.

I think we are going to see a lot of censorship. Some Thai man was arrested for posting a remark about the scanners at the airport on his Facebook.

Be careful what you post from now on.

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Heard from a friend who went to get a ticket today that Thai airways to close on Monday domestic. My daughter works for Thai at BKK and they are having a meeting today of what the airport will do for all areas. As I just saw Philippine and EVA airways are general 99% shut for flights to BKK so things are closing up as it looks. Time to go to the store for some wine and scotch and sit back at home and at least semi enjoy the ride.

Big announcement on the other newspaper website this morning; many Thai inter. routes to be suspended, within the next few days. 

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is this definitely happening Thursday? that Doris said not confirmed yet

That's what I would like to know as well. Are they making the announcement on thursday or put this in practice then?

My main concern is the transport, if they stop everything altogether, as I would have to get to the airport.

Edited by rabang
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, rabang said:

My main concern is the transport, if they stop everything altogether, as I would have to get to the airport.

Me too, mate. It's my 'only' concern, apart from the possibility of the airport itself also closing of course, which seems less likely but we have seen that happen in Peru. All I need is to get on the Phaya Thai airport link and I'm done. I see the 'potential' for BTS and this associated link being very curtailed to access for use unless you can prove it is essential travel (in our case, we should be able to get by).

Quite a number of people intend to leave on that date as the concern shows up all over the net in response to this announcement 'about' a coming announcement. It could be one of the earliest flight slots left. The timing of this is spectacular, but I've had this feeling since last Friday that absolutely anything could happen before this Friday 27th. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

If flights closed, do you have a plan B??

As I'm in the same position as him, in my case I've registered my presence with my embassy here and given the reason. I'm not sure there is a plan B option short of staying here for whoever knows how long, like the many thousands of people who are either doing it by choice as being preferable to the west, or are seemingly oblivious to the climate at the moment. I kept looking at the incoming information (mixed reports) about what they intend to do for overstay, if it comes to that. Alternatively, now that Emirates airline is operating once again but today would be the last slot and probably extortionate (edit : none showing today, and on the 27th is B34,000)

Edited by Lissos
Additional

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The emergency decree will mean the prime minister will have the executive power to declare further measures to contain the virus, including giving extra authority to officials and allowing the setting up of checkpoints to reduce people movements, Prayuth said.

Well then the general has his total power as after the coup, he will certainly be happy ...

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Plus... one of their favourite ideas - a possible shutdown of social media. He mentioned something about that they would keep an eye on social media and if necessary close parts of it.

I think we are going to see a lot of censorship. Some Thai man was arrested for posting a remark about the scanners at the airport on his Facebook.

Be careful what you post from now on.

I'd say the biggest issue with Social Media can be the gossip - people panic and start warning friends as soon as they see a single empty shelf (pretty normal in Thailand anyway), or warn them the ATM's will soon be empty of cash because lockdown will mean nobody refilling... stuff like that, basic ignorance really - because ATM's come under 'essential service' and surely won't be shut down right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I heard in the UK, people can go out once a day -  how the hell can they monitor this?

The governments have total control over the people now, it was planned all along. next step, the reset of the financial system.

The least we can say for sure is that now that more and more governments around the world are taking control, personal freedoms will become more restricted. We can speculate that once this becomes commonplace and accepted that some governments will be reluctant to give up that authoritarian power completely once the virus is contained and eradicated. The world is about to change in that regard.

As for a financial reset, that is inevitable. The world economy cannot survive the current conditions and emerge unscathed. Some economies will not survive at all. Just not sure if this was planned all along as you say, but can guarantee that planning is in the works now.

Just read that Germany is moving to declare a state of emergency for one year. Such moves, if true, point to the rise of authoritarianism and you can bet that there is a financial agenda behind that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

If flights closed, do you have a plan B??

Just get back to my condo. I don't have any visa issues either, for a while at least. For the last night I have booked a hotel near the airport. Bit too far to walk though, at least with a luggage...

6 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

How about the people that don’t have the money to buy extra food.  Will the Government help them

there should be a provision to provide food for those who do not the resources to buy  on their own.