Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The closing of borders seems to have been relaxed or not enforced (the expected norm here) as in the last few days planes are to and froing throughout the day in Chiang Mai. I live on a Mooban near to the flight path and early days were quiet - not now.

Flights will continue, many will be mostly empty, but those on-board need to be able to meet the requirements of the decree, and many Thai Nationals are trying to return home after obtaining the needed documents

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Flights will continue, many will be mostly empty, but those on-board need to be able to meet the requirements of the decree, and many Thai Nationals are trying to return home after obtaining the needed documents

Rhetoric question: I trust it's not too much to ask whether screening is enforced for everyone? Or is it just another wave-through for Thai nationals? Don't trust this country's xenophobic officialdom one little bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Rhetoric question: I trust it's not too much to ask whether screening is enforced for everyone? Or is it just another wave-through for Thai nationals? Don't trust this country's xenophobic officialdom one little bit.

I believe, but I may be totally wrong, but if they do not meet the requirements they to are being denied entry, but moreover it appears that they are even being denied the ability to board the flights.  There has also been a lawsuit filed on behalf of the Thai Nationals stranded outside of the country and unable to return, as they can not obtain the necessary fit to fly certificate from their embassies.

These are the current restrictions. Note there is no end date. No entry by land or air unless you are one of those listed.

"THAILAND - published 27.03.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Thailand.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
- This does not apply to airline crew with pre-existing schedules.
- This does not apply to diplomats and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a work permit.
- This does not apply to passengers with a waiver from Prime Minister or People In Charge of State of Emergency."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Thanks 2

The question is what do the Airlines and Thai Immigration accept as a 'fit to fly' certificate/letter.

A test for Covid19 is restricted to those suspected of or showing signs of the virus.

A GP could issue a letter of 'fit to fly' but that test would be no more than taking your body temperature.

Even a person able to take a Covid19 test could become infected between the time of the test and the time of flying.

The only 99.9% method to stop the spread across Countries is a total lockdown of all borders by air, sea and land for travellers, other than those delivering essential supplies.

• Like 2

At least it has clarified the pecking order for expats at long last. 

Work permit holders and permanent residents at the top, classified as residents. The Thai government recognises the economic benefit and rights of these people to reside. 

Retirees, students, marriage, family and other non-immigrant visas for temporary purpose of stay other than tourism in the middle. Like a limbo, no resident status or rights, the government obvious doesn't value these people nor are they eligible for any social benefits. They have to fight for themselves every step of the way. Pay to play. 

Tourists at the very bottom of the pile. Needed for their contribution to the economy but treated with total contempt, even in time of crisis. 

If I was in the middle category, I would be seriously considering my position here in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The question is what do the Airlines and Thai Immigration accept as a 'fit to fly' certificate/letter.

A test for Covid19 is restricted to those suspected of or showing signs of the virus.

A GP could issue a letter of 'fit to fly' but that test would be no more than taking your body temperature.

Even a person able to take a Covid19 test could become infected between the time of the test and the time of flying.

The only 99.9% method to stop the spread across Countries is a total lockdown of all borders by air, sea and land for travellers, other than those delivering essential supplies.

Tanoshi, unfortunately I am not sure anyone here can answer that question unless maybe UbonJoe or Sheryl have a contact that can clarify this.  Sorry, but we live in unsettled times, and this is all new and uncharted territory.

16 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

At least it has clarified the pecking order for expats at long last. 

Work permit holders and permanent residents at the top, classified as residents. The Thai government recognises the economic benefit and rights of these people to reside. 

Retirees, students, marriage, family and other non-immigrant visas for temporary purpose of stay other than tourism in the middle. Like a limbo, no resident status or rights, the government obvious doesn't value these people nor are they eligible for any social benefits. They have to fight for themselves every step of the way. Pay to play. 

Tourists at the very bottom of the pile. Needed for their contribution to the economy but treated with total contempt, even in time of crisis. 

If I was in the middle category, I would be seriously considering my position here in Thailand. 

Yadon, someone with PR is not considered a Thai National and has not citizenship. All PR does is keep them from having to do 90 day reports, still not able to return right now even with PR as far as I know, unless someone in the know like UbonJoe knows how PR folks are affected.

The sane solution is for borders to be closed to everyone not providing essential supplies to hospitals and emergency aid for at least two weeks, fullstop...  Tough-titty for exclusions - they can wait where they are.

Utilise the Thai army (not the police) and enforce a complete shutdown of the high risk areas as in Wuhan - no non-army transport movement in and out of a 20 mile radius of Bangkok, including the river boats - similarly for Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hua Hin, Pattaya, and Krabi - and lock the Chiang Rai, Isan, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar land and train borders. Cancel all ferry trips to/from the Koh islands.

Pipedream? Probably.

Edited by stephenterry
addition
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yadon, someone with PR is not considered a Thai National and has not citizenship. All PR does is keep them from having to do 90 day reports, still not able to return right now even with PR as far as I know, unless someone in the know like UbonJoe knows how PR folks are affected.

Permanent residents can still return according to Richard Wheelbarrow on FB and Twitter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Permanent residents can still return according to Richard Wheelbarrow on FB and Twitter. 

There is no evidence on Twitter account to support what you have stated and I mean source of information is not provided to my understanding. Also nothing on TAAT FB or Ministry of Foreign Affairs website including the document issued on 25 March. There is a slight difference in the wording between the relevant parts of documents on above, but nothing aboout PRs.

if you have a clear official document then please inform us of it/share it. 

• Thanks 1

, what are they hoping to achieve, other than accelerating the collapse of the economy ?

nothing. Collapsing the economy is the one and only goal. The western money changers ( bankers ) have been doing this for thousands of years, people should know about it and why it happens like they know ABC. Yet not 1 person in 100 can figure it out.
All that happens is the economy stops, those in debt have to default on any agreements, small businesses fail. Then once enough of the market has died, the powerful western business groups buy up all the failed businesses they want. Bigger businesses with a lot of staff beg for loans from the government, and sometimes they get them, sometimes they are allowed to collapse, sometimes they agree to being bought out by bigger businesses.

Absolutely trivial economics.

The aftermath will be more western chain stores and western companies in the cities. Government will have to take loans from western banks which they will pay off by taxing the population more.

Its been this way for hundreds of years. Even if went on for another 100,000 years, the vast majority of people wouldn't get it. Always distracted by the media decoy narrative which is tailored to distract and scare the people into compliance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, BrianT said:

So are they strictly enforcing this?

Yes.

18 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Can a foreign parent of a Thai child with Non O visa enter Thailand?

Not unless you can meet the requirements and get a flight.

19 minutes ago, BrianT said:

What are my options? 

That depends on your current location.

1 hour ago, bloodyholly said:

First few landings this morning at Phuket Intl. Airport (HKT) according to their webpage 

Must be a lot of Thais returning home.

DD34DEC3-8435-43D0-8B54-D61F8BD134D2.jpeg.70275c0e984b43bfeffa372b5a40234f.jpeg

Do you have numbers from immigration on how many exited theses planes.  Lots of very empty planes flying around from my contact with Delta.

52 minutes ago, BrianT said:

So are they strictly enforcing this? Can a foreign parent of a Thai child with Non O visa enter Thailand? What are my options? 

image.png.6cb32a3a8a841c526654401ff433fb

The above is the only way you will be able to enter Thailand, a Non Imm "O" based upon Family is unfortunately not a way in anymore, at least for now....Good Luck to you

Edited by ThailandRyan

I have been living here in Thailand on Retirement Visas for 11 years until this past November.  I am scheduled to leave on 6 April for the USA.  I plan on getting a Non-O Visa through the Consulate in Washington DC to return on 18 June.  I am married so I don't anticipate any problem, but everything can change especially with this Virus scare.  Based on what I have read here on the forum there is a new requirement for a Fit-to-travel letter.  Is this a downloadable form letter?  Also, I planned to get a Medical Certificate here in Khon Kaen before heading to the airport.  Will this 2 month old letter be acceptable and the Consulate?  We own a house here in Khon Kaen.  Will my "yellow book" be sufficient or will I need to bring copies of her Blue Book, her ID Card, the marriage document, the Bank Book and Proof of Income Letter from my Credit Union in the USA?  Immigration wouldn't accept my insurance for a Non-O/A although it is unlimited in coverage amounts.  I intend to try for the "Unlimited Entry" Visa at a cost of $200.00 and have my return ticket departing the USA on 16 June.  Are there any other things that I should bring with me to prevent problems at the Washington DC Consulate?  One more question: Can I get a Non-O based upon retirement?  I have started using Transferwise since November and typically transfer over 100,000 Baht each month.  Ubon Joe has helped me in the past for which I am very grateful. However, I know things may have changed, so I am asking again.  Thanks in advance...  Tim

1 minute ago, au82tiger said:

I have been living here in Thailand on Retirement Visas for 11 years until this past November.  I am scheduled to leave on 6 April for the USA.  I plan on getting a Non-O Visa through the Consulate in Washington DC to return on 18 June.  I am married so I don't anticipate any problem, but everything can change especially with this Virus scare.  Based on what I have read here on the forum there is a new requirement for a Fit-to-travel letter.  Is this a downloadable form letter?  Also, I planned to get a Medical Certificate here in Khon Kaen before heading to the airport.  Will this 2 month old letter be acceptable and the Consulate?  We own a house here in Khon Kaen.  Will my "yellow book" be sufficient or will I need to bring copies of her Blue Book, her ID Card, the marriage document, the Bank Book and Proof of Income Letter from my Credit Union in the USA?  Immigration wouldn't accept my insurance for a Non-O/A although it is unlimited in coverage amounts.  I intend to try for the "Unlimited Entry" Visa at a cost of $200.00 and have my return ticket departing the USA on 16 June.  Are there any other things that I should bring with me to prevent problems at the Washington DC Consulate?  One more question: Can I get a Non-O based upon retirement?  I have started using Transferwise since November and typically transfer over 100,000 Baht each month.  Ubon Joe has helped me in the past for which I am very grateful. However, I know things may have changed, so I am asking again.  Thanks in advance...  Tim

At the current time you would not be allowed entry into Thailand married or not.  We can only hope things will change.  In USA you can only get O-A (needing insurance) for retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au82tiger said:

Please read the guidelines posted for eligibility to enter Thailand during the Emergency Decree.  It states who can enter Thailand and what is needed.  It is posted here in this op for you to review.  Good Luck if you plan on returning should you leave.  It will be unfortunately because of the virus an extended stay out of the country.  You should probably stay put since you are retired and live here, but then that is just my opinion.  Your decision to make after you have informed yourself with what lies ahead....Airlines will also not let you fly to Thailand unless you meet the Decree requirements.  Be Safe and take care during these uncharted times we are living in.

I, myself, was scheduled to fly to the US on June 1st for my youngest daughter University Graduation and a scheduled Medical Examination. I was to return on June 15th, but with whats happening the University has canceled graduation and my MD's office has canceled all appointments unless COVID related for the foreseeable future, then add in the new rules I am staying put.  Can not see being trapped in the US, on a mandatory 14 day quarantine and not being able to return to my home here...

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, au82tiger said:

Call or email DC Consul find out. I am stuck in US and I would be in LA applying for an O-A Visa this week, but the office is closed due to CA state lockdown. The Website has a message about mail service but I think it is for Thai peoples consular services. I emailed the Visa section ( normally reply quickly) and got no response.

5 hours ago, BrianT said:

So are they strictly enforcing this? Can a foreign parent of a Thai child with Non O visa enter Thailand? What are my options? 

Borders are closed, but they still let people with work permit enter. Parents of minor children should also be let in.

10 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Borders are closed, but they still let people with work permit enter. Parents of minor children should also be let in.

They should....where do you get this, it is not in any of the decree notices, stop giving bad advise, but Maybe you meant "It SHOULD Include the Parents of, but it does not

6 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Interesting to know as well. Is it official that you can get in as parent/guardian of a minor (without WP)?

Sorry if i wasn't clear. Unfortunately, they're currently not letting parents with non-immigrant o visa enter. But i seriously hope that they reconsider that decision.

2 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Sorry if i wasn't clear. Unfortunately, they're currently not letting parents with non-immigrant o visa enter. But i seriously hope that they reconsider that decision.

???? Ok, thank you!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

NO, you must have a work permit or be a permanent resident. 

Permanent Residents are not being allowed entry - work permit or diplomat or at invitation of government (or Thai Citizen).

Edited by lopburi3

On 3/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, Kaopad999 said:

Very wise choice. I am glad to see Thailand taking correct measures. 

How many cases do you expect can be hold away versus the already invisible numbers of Thai who still go to Cock fighting or Thai Boxing events etc. The restrictions to tourist is fully ok, but what about long stay residence with valid one year visa?

I be together 15 years with my beloved woman in my age without marriage. The last 4 years we live now in Thailand. I have a one year retired visa, be registered here with bank account and driving license due to Thailand is my new home country. I have nothing in my origin country and would need to go just with one luggage, letting all back in Thailand. It had a reason that I prefer to stay in Thailand instead of my home country. 

I go working in Singapore because Thailand don't let me work here as freelance engineer. So, my tax goes to SG too. Not my choice.

I need to go back to SG in two weeks and have to stay there now probably until the end of this year if that pest is over then. Hope that I can extend at least my visa in October at the SG Thai Embassy. I want to stop permanently working end of this year and be together with my beloved.

She has chronicle leukemia and corona would kill her.

I probably have no chance in that worst case to come in for her funeral if it happen in the next month to her.

Needless to say that I keep strictly home quarantine here even over the 14 days. The main risk for me is the Immigration counter at the airport. In SG I have to go again into 14 days quarantine before I can start working again in my pharmacy job.

I'm really no risk for Thailand. Blaming now Farangs make me very sad if they are all pulled over the same comb.

Thailand lost the smile to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

NO, you must have a work permit or be a permanent resident. 

Why don't you reply to my post 432 instead of posting the same information again, which as far as everyone else who posts know is incorrect and not substantiated? If by any good fortune you have some information to support your statement then why don't you help your fellow citizens and share it, as is happening everywhere.