Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, DKStuntz said:

I’ve been residing in Thailand, and teaching English there, for the past few years, but I’m currently visiting the USA during the Thai school break.  

I have read that, in order to get back to Thailand, I’ll need to present a health certificate, that confirms a negative coronavirus test result, upon checking in for my flight back to Thailand.

My main concern is that, according to what I’ve heard, it’s extremely difficult to get a Covid-19 test here in the USA, because such test kits are so scarce, that they are reserved only for the sickest of hospital patents.  

Therefore, I don’t know how to obtain a health certificate.

Although I have a current Non-Immigrant ’B’ visa and a work permit, for Thailand, I’m wondering how I can get back into Thailand if I can’t get a Covid-19 test.  I imagine that there are many other traveling expats who are in the same situation, and I’m wondering if there’s a solution to this issue.

I would greatly appreciate any information or advice, regarding whether there’s any way that expats can get a health certificate (to confirm that they are Covid-negative), while Covid test kits are scarce, and/or if there is any other way to obtain the required health certificate.

Thanks.

Maybe read the OP, getting a health certificate/insurance etc is no longer an option, Thailand is closed to foreigner arrivals

9 minutes ago, lust said:

You’re on Non O multiple entry visa where you must leave the country every 90 days?

Yes. She told them when Ilmy 90 days was up, and they said, "Tell him to come to the office and we will give him 90 days". I suppose that may change, but as of 25 minutes ago. That's what I'm told.

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe read the OP, getting a health certificate/insurance etc is no longer an option, Thailand is closed to foreigner arrivals

Having a work permit is one of the exceptions to the ban.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Once this virus thing is finished, No country should allow any Chinese aircraft to land until they are sure there is no chance of the Chinese ever spreading any more viruses.

In my opinion, both the UK and Thailand will let the Chinese into their country as soon as things are back to normal.

The UK because they allow any nationality in as they have been doing for years, and Thailand because they need them as tourist because they have caused so many Farangs to leave because of immigration issues, so many westerners will not come to Thailand as tourists because of the strong Baht, among other things.

It's always a hoot when an immigrant to Thailand who feels increasingly unloved by his hosts due to their less generous immigration rules complains about the weak immigration rules that 'forced' him to leave his homeland.

When are you planning going home BTW?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

We all rinse the produce under the tap but then we're told only soap or sanitizer kills the virus. hmm.

So does it mean I should shampoo my lettuce head, anyone..?

I'm going to avoid raw veggies for a bit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Having a work permit is one of the exceptions to the ban.

Yes, it is an exception on paper but appears almost impossible to meet the requirements, negative covid certificate, $100k US insurance coverage etc.

2 minutes ago, Polaky said:
16 hours ago, domgaf said:

Has there been any mention of rules about leaving the country?

Good Question

My understanding for this relatively overlooked question is that if there are flights available to one's chosen destination and that country is still accepting inbound nationals, regardless if that includes an advisory or mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival, if one can get a seat on a flight, then one should leave. Thai immigration will not stop you as the onus on completing any air travel once air-side at BKK or DMK or other international airports is on the airline.

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

In your post above you mentioned something that appears to be a common phenomenon:

"I've been getting a flu shot for years. . . I've had the 'normal' flu many times."

I have never had a flu vaccine and haven't had anything like the flu for 20 years and so I'm always interested in this subject. A couple of friends who, like you, get vaccinated every year and get flu in most years always find some excuse as to why.

Now there is evidence that influenza vaccines specifically increase the risk of coronavirus infection due to a phenomenon known as virus interference.

Furthermore, in September 2019, Italy rolled out an entirely new type of influenza vaccine that is different from others. Most available influenza vaccines are produced in embryonated chicken eggs. VIQCC is produced from cultured animal cells rather than eggs and has more of a “boost” to the immune system as a result. VIQCC also contains four types of viruses – 2 type A viruses (H1N1 and H3N2) and 2 type B viruses.2 It looks like this “super” vaccine impacted the immune system in such a way to increase coronavirus infection through virus interference that set the stage for what happened in Italy.

Source:

https://doctormurray.com/does-the-flu-shot-increase-covid-19-risk/

And I am sure you have an actual real-time case study by labs since this outbreak occurred that you can post which could be used to verify the link you posted, which is only one persons opinion. Nice of him to offer services for some money sent to him as well.  The references he lists are of old case studies from years before, and have no bearing on whether the flu shot would affect those and increase the chances of contracting the COVID-19.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, domgaf said:

Has there been any mention of rules about leaving the country?

5 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Good Question

The only problems with leaving the country are:
1) Getting to the airport - shouldn't be a major problem.

2) Getting a flight - many have been cancelled, many have restrictions (but if you stay in Transit the whole way you may be OK). Check before you even head to the airport.

3) Getting to (wherever) - to your HOME country shouldn't be an issue (as long as you stay in Transit). But, for example, if you are from a non-Schengen country and are planning on flying into a Schengen country, you will be denied entry (Schengen countries issued a travel ban on non-schengen citizens back on 18 March).
(The article said that UK citizens are OK though.)

I think most countries are more than happy if their "non-citizens" decide to up and leave. Less potential drain on the Health Services and fewer diplomatic headaches as well (like when it comes to the idiots that decide to fly somewhere and then go to press and whine that they can't come back and the government should charter a plane specially for them - at the government's expense of course). 

Better off to usher them to the door and send them on their way as quickly (and quietly) as possible.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

He has a current work permit so he is eligible for the waiver to enter the country......

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Everything OK Thailand. Sure.

And god help us all in the coming days.

Well Thailand at least doing something.

What's your god got to do with it, although a bit the bible does tell of the Yellow peril if I remember correctly. ????

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

He has a current work permit so he is eligible for the waiver to enter the country......

Yes, I get that. I look at it as they pretty much shut the border a couple of weeks ago when they started to ask for unobtainable health certificates and insurance cover.

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And I am sure you have an actual real-time case study by labs since this outbreak occurred that you can post which could be used to verify the link you posted, which is only one persons opinion. Nice of him to offer services for some money sent to him as well.  The references he lists are of old case studies from years before, and have no bearing on whether the flu shot would affect those and increase the chances of contracting the COVID-19.  

Could be relevant: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404712/?fbclid=IwAR3C-3iQ6YvZBLgX5OPnjwqMfWJ9j-j0kS5uB8ng5bQjZsYLs_3tJ4UwOeA

I read the same kind of study specifically done on Italian elderly population but can't find the link. 

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The most recent advisory does say that a valid Thai WP will allow a foreigner to be re-admitted. However, there's been no mention if the need for the -ve Covid-19 test certificate less than 72-hours old and a concurrent US$100k of health insurance that were rolled out last week has been waived by Thai government or more importantly, the airlines.

That’s what I was thinking too... while all official notices are in Thai language, I’ve not (yet) seen any credible English version that explicitly states that those with permits can not only return/enter Thailand now but that it (holding a valid work permit) ALSO now negates the need for the COVID-free certificate and health insurance. 

my guess, absent anything credible, is that it (work permit) does not.

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:
12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What is the point of making such an unfounded, negative and defeatist post?

A reminder to keep alert.

Much appreciated. I consider myself alerted (again) to your penchant for unfounded, negative and defeatist posts.

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I get that. I look at it as they pretty much shut the border a couple of weeks ago when they started to ask for unobtainable health certificates and insurance cover.

Copy, it was the way you worded your post that had me respond.  Yes, I believe trying to obtain the necessary paperwork is like climbing up a slippery slope, and possibly a nail which stops the person from returning, but helll has not frozen over yet....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My understanding for this relatively overlooked question is that if there are flights available to one's chosen destination and that country is still accepting inbound nationals, regardless if that includes an advisory or mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival, if one can get a seat on a flight, then one should leave. Thai immigration will not stop you as the onus on completing any air travel once air-side at BKK or DMK or other international airports is on the airline.

Yes I believe this to be true, planes coming in empty and taking passengers out at an inflated price is always an option, i can see flights mainly from europe and russia which are still coming in and going out, but not Au.

10 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

What has this got to do with us, we' re not all Yanks so could'nt care less. This is supposed to be about Thailand.

It's because every yank get scared s**tless when something like this happens. Then Trump suddenly says they can't afford a shutdown and will open up the US in 3 weeks while the numbers of infected skyrockets. Go figure. 

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What are you talking about?

There is evidence that influenza vaccines specifically increase the risk of coronavirus infection. The reference* is given in the article and is definitely not old.

*Wolff GG. Influenza Vaccination and Respiratory Virus Interference Among Department of Defense Personnel During the 2017-2018 Influenza Season. Vaccine 2020;38 (2):350-354.

Also the website is replete with free resources. "For the past thirty-five years, I have been compiling a massive database of original scientific studies from the medical literature ... It is from this constantly expanding database that I have created these free resources."

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Could be relevant: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404712/?fbclid=IwAR3C-3iQ6YvZBLgX5OPnjwqMfWJ9j-j0kS5uB8ng5bQjZsYLs_3tJ4UwOeA

I read the same kind of study specifically done on Italian elderly population but can't find the link. 

That's an even older case study....please just desist from posting things which have no bearing on the COVID-19 issue at hand.  This thing is affecting all ages, even an Olympic gold medal winning swimmer has it and so its anybody's WAG on who it will hit and how they will be affected.  Speculation is not whats needed.  

3 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

What are you talking about?

There is evidence that influenza vaccines specifically increase the risk of coronavirus infection. The reference* is given in the article and is definitely not old.

*Wolff GG. Influenza Vaccination and Respiratory Virus Interference Among Department of Defense Personnel During the 2017-2018 Influenza Season. Vaccine 2020;38 (2):350-354.

Also the website is replete with free resources. "For the past thirty-five years, I have been compiling a massive database of original scientific studies from the medical literature ... It is from this constantly expanding database that I have created these free resources."

You appear not to have read the full article or else not understood it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Yes I believe this to be true, planes coming in empty and taking passengers out at an inflated price is always an option, i can see flights mainly from europe and russia which are still coming in and going out, but not Au.

From today incoming flights carries homecoming Thai people. There are only a few exceptions regarding foreigners, for example diplomats and pilots. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It's because every yank get scared s**tless when something like this happens. Then Trump suddenly says they can't afford a shutdown and will open up the US in 3 weeks while the numbers of infected skyrockets. Go figure. 

Max I am an American and I am scared Sh..le.., All people scare themselves as they sit back and and look at the big picture.....that picture is of things that are unknown, and fear of the unknown is why people become scared.  Time people just sat back and relaxed....